Status: Active!

Ecophobia

Chapter 4

I stepped closer to Ruaridh and sighed a sigh of pure pity. Not often did I take pity on him but today he looked like a tsunami survivor with no bed and no home to get to. A look of confusion was plastered across his face and he seemed to be concentrating on one particular object that was resting in the palm of his hand.

“What you go there?” I asked from a few feet away from him.

His hair moved before his head when he looked round, a twisted expression and closed eyes made me guess the sun was in his eyes. I moved down to his level and it was only then that he re-opened his eyes to look at me. Through his eyes I could see his brain searching each corner of his mind for the answer that I was waiting for.

“Chain, my dad gave me it, used to belong to my uncles. I found out that he had a fear of looking up,” He said all is words like he usually does, emotionless.

“How horrible.”

“I know, it must have been atrocious.”

“How is he now?” I questioned reckoning that his dad had told him.

“He’s fine, just a little dead.” I don’t know why but laughed at his sarcasm.

We stopped talking for a bit, silence was always fine for both of us. I like when it’s silent, it means we’re not arguing, calming Ruaridh down or taking the piss out of each other like normal best friends do.

I can’t help think that sometimes we act like more than just best friends. From day one we had always been a little more that close, even when we were in primary school and we held hands going anywhere but that was not weird because we were both five. Also we never did any normal boy things together as I seem to be a ‘get hit by a ball magnet,’ something which I am not proud of. And finally when Ruaridh did start having troubles with the whole ecophobia thing, I was the one who was there. I stayed out late with him when he didn’t want to go home. Also it’s me who stops him trembling to the floor when he does have to go home.

“Can you put it on for me?” He said almost unsure of his request.

With a nod of my head I crawled on my knees to kneel behind him, my mother was going to kill me if I ripped my jeans. From in front he handed me the two ends to clip together. I did so without a problem but my finger tips still lingered on the back of Ruaridh’s neck. He turned round to see what the problem was but just got a glimpse of my ‘out of it,’ expression.

I sat back on my feet as he turned around fully to face me, his eyes big with confusion and a tiny hint of fear. For what he feared I did not know but I did know however in that very second he leaned over and planted a kiss on the corner of my mouth.

“Thanks,” He murmured, his lips only inches from my face.

“No problem, it never is.”

The corners of his own mouth raised and instantly fell again as if he would get into trouble for smiling. I could not help but just stare at his gentle features as the did not move or even relax from their frozen expression.

I cannot tell you how long we stayed like this for because I do not know how to plot the time with where the sun is in the sky and I do not own a watch. What I do have though is a weird all most butterfly feeling in the pit of my stomach and by God is it a good and very welcome feeling.