Status: done(: the sequel will start next week!

Doesn't Mean a Thing

19.

The Yule Ball was so close. There was less than a week she realized. As everyone was trying to track down dates, Elise was avoiding hers.

It had been a week since the thing in the library happened. She couldn’t forgive herself, but part of her enjoyed it. She wanted it to happen again.

It was getting late and Elise was far from the common room. She’d be in trouble if she didn’t hurry back. She decided to use the hidden corridors Fred had shown her before. They were behind tapestries and were great shortcuts.

She was walking through the dark corridor when she heard voices. She put the light out from her wand and laid still against the wall. She recognized the voices.

“Angelina, I’m serious!” George hissed. “We talked about this ages ago but you refuse to do anything about it.”

Angelina huffed. “What else is there to talk about? I know I’m losing him, I’d rather you not remind me.”

George sighed. “I’m just saying, let him free, Ange. There’s someone else he wants.”

“So you’re going to let go of her just like that?” Angelina demanded. “She’s bloody perfect. You love her.”

George shook his head. “I thought I loved her, but I don’t. Ange, she loves him. Everyone can tell he loves her just as much. Just let them be.”

“I don’t know if I can do that.” Angelina said, rushing away.

George beat his fist against the stone wall. “God dammit.”

“George?” Elise asked in a small voice, appearing from the shadows.

George’s jaw dropped. “Elise, you heard all of that?” he asked weakly.

“You’re going to break up with me?” she murmured.

George sighed and hugged her. “Elise, you’re perfect. I just…I can’t be with someone who loves my brother, not especially when he loves her too.”

Elise sighed. “Your brother and I aren’t talking.”

George shook his head. “You two belong together, Elise. It doesn’t mean a thing what we have. You and he are perfect for each other.”

Elise burst into tears. “I didn’t mean to George.”

George shushed her and patted her back. “I know. Just…I can’t stand seeing him so sad and you either. I care too much. Besides, I never loved you as much as he’ll love you.” He said with a smile.

“We’re still going to the ball together?” Elise asked.

George chuckled. “Of course, to keep up appearances.”

Elise let out a watery chuckle and George put an arm around her. They went back to the common room together. When inside, they found Angelina sitting with Alicia and Katie. Lee was with Fred by the fire. Fred’s eyes crinkled at the sight of Elise, but he scowled when he saw George’s arm around her.

“I’m tired. I’ll be going to bed now.” He said, rushing up the stairs without a goodbye to anyone. Angelina gave George a curt look and he returned it. It felt as if their circle of friends had been slashed in half.

*~*~*~*

The sixth years were sitting at breakfast. Owls were flying in.

“What does your dress look like, Katie?” Angelina asked, spooning cereal into her mouth.

Katie swallowed. “It’s red with bits of gray. It’s hard to describe; you might as well see. How about you Alicia?”

Alicia smiled. “Mine is blue satin with a halter neck. Elise, what about your dress?”

Elise blushed. “I don’t have a dress yet.” She confessed.

Angelina’s jaw dropped. “But the ball is like, four days away! How are you going to manage?”
she asked. “You can’t wear that tea length one you came with. It has to be floor length
McGonagall said.”

Suddenly, two large owls flew in. They were both carrying the same, large package. The owls dropped it off in front of Elise on the table and pecked at a piece of bread. They took off in a hurry.

“Oh, that must be your dress!” Alicia squealed. “Let’s see.”

Elise unwrapped the brown packaging to see a pristine white box. She popped off the lid and removed the tissue paper. Elise gasped as she looked at the dress. The bodice was shell pink and the skirt a mint color. Tiny iridescent butterflies embellished the skirt. In the package was a pair of mint green heels to match her dress. Another tiny box was inside; she lifted it to see a familiar diamond and pink sapphire necklace and earring set. There was a note enclosed.

To my dearest Elise,

Happy Christmas, love. I hope you enjoy your holiday at the castle and know that I miss you
very much. Your Aunt Laurel suggested I dig out your mother’s old dress for you to wear to the ball; she remembered that you loved it so much. The old dress was far too dilapidated though; I had a copy made. Almost everything is the same about it, except there are fewer butterflies than on the original. Your mother always complained that there were too much. Anyway, Laurel picked out your shoes. I hope you like them. Plus I enclosed the necklace and earrings your mother wore with that dress. I’m sure she would’ve loved to see you in them someday.

Love, Papa


Elise smiled and pulled the dress out of the box. She held it up to her figure. It looked just like the dress her mother had worn so long ago to a French Ministry party. Her mother had worn long white opera gloves with the dress, but Elise decided to be much less formal.

“It’s beautiful!” Alicia gasped. “You’ll look like a princess in it.”

“No, more like a fairy.” George teased.

“No, a veela.” Fred grunted. Elise’s head shot towards him.

“Was that supposed to be an insult?” she snapped, putting the dress back into the box. She covered it back up and picked it up.

“No, I’m just saying the truth. You’re going to look like a veela.” Fred said simply.

Elise rolled her eyes and looked to the girls. “I have to drop this off in my room; I’ll see you girls later.” She said.

Angelina sighed as she walked away. “Did you have to be mean about it, Fred? You know she’s sensitive about that.”

Fred shook his head. “It’s the truth and I’ll tell it.”

“You shouldn’t be such an arse to her, Freddie.” George mentioned.

“And when did you two suddenly become okay again?” Fred asked nonchalantly.

“We’re okay because we’ve broken up. It wasn’t going to work, so we just sacked it. We’re happier either way.” George said.

Fred’s head shot up. “You broke up with her?”

George nodded. “She loves someone else, you know.”

Fred’s head went back down. “Oh, I see.”

Angelina rolled her eyes. “You arse, she loves you! You’re so thick.” She said.

Fred stared at her. “But…”

Angelina sighed. “We need to talk Fred.”
♠ ♠ ♠
oh how i love british words like arse.