Status: done(: the sequel will start next week!

Doesn't Mean a Thing

21.

Elise sat on a bench in the gardens. She didn’t care if she were freezing. She cast a warming spell around her. A fuzzy bubble appeared.

“Well, well, well; if it isn’t little Elise.” said a smug voice.

Elise turned to see Veronique wearing a silky silver gown. She glided towards her. “Did little Elise’s date dump her?” she sneered.

“What do you have against me, Veronique? I did nothing to you.” She said weakly. Even though Elise was confident, the one thing that ruined her was Veronique. Even as a child, she could not bear to be around her or face her criticism. She was her kryptonite.

“You did everything to me. You took away the attention I fully deserved. When I was in my second year and created a patronus, it was you they cared about. Ah, the little English rose made herself her own patronus! You always beat me. You never deserved it. Everyone hated you, Elise. We all did. Even Fleur hated you sometimes.”

“Stop it!” Elise yelled. “You have nothing against me! I did nothing to you, I just was myself!” she screamed.

“Keep yelling, little Elise. No one cares about you anymore. Your friends don’t speak of you anymore. They hardly remember you. Nanette, Roseanne, and Brigitte could care less about you. They all moved on…face it. You’re irrelevant.” She said, flipping her hair and turning away.

Elise felt a tear roll down her cheek. She couldn’t control herself anymore. She had nothing left. Her father was never there, she had no mother, she had just ended it with her boyfriend, and she ran away from the guy she might have loved.

“Elise, are you alright?”

Elise turned to see Fred. He had his jacket and rushed over to her, worried. He stepped inside her little bubble and it burst. He laid his jacket over her. As this as it was, she was strangely warm.

“I’m just weak, that’s it. I can’t stand up to anyone. I’m a failure.” She sighed. “I’m sorry I ran away from you. I got scared…you terrified me.”

Fred sighed. “I guess I came on a little strong back there. But it’s all true, Elise. I care about you that much.”

“I care about you like that too.” She whispered.

“But things will never be normal between us,” Fred said plainly. “since you’ve been with my
brother.”

“I just want to be normal for a while.” She sighed. “I want to be with you.”

Fred smiled. “Then let it happen. What harm could come?”

Elise looked at the ground. “It won’t be awkward, would it?”

Fred laughed. “When have things between us ever been awkward?”

*~*~*~*

Time flew by, and before long, Elise and Fred were as much of a couple as Elise had been with George. It was almost as if her relationship with the twin had never happened and no one seemed to remember it much.

It was a new year and the second task was to take place. Elise had been so busy with her own life-she was pretty popular at Hogwarts; she spent her time between Fred, the gang, and several seventh years that included Cedric. She didn’t really hear much from Harry except that he hadn’t thought of anything for the tournament.

“Au revoir, Harry; good luck today.” She said. She took Fred’s arm and proceeded down to the lake with the rest of their friends.

“Where are Ron and Hermione? Shouldn’t they be cheering Harry?” Elise asked impatiently. Harry looked as if he were going to be sick; his two best friends were missing.

“Hermione’s probably off, pining for Viktor.” George mimicked. The girls laughed.

“Stop it.” Elise said, rolling her eyes and sticking her tongue out. “Besides, she wouldn’t be able to see him anyway.”

Fred rolled his eyes too. “Then where are those scrawny little gits?”

Dumbledore’s voice rang throughout the Black Lake. He explained the contest…and how something of the champions’ was taken to the bottom of the lake.

Elise gasped. “Non!” she screamed.

“What is it?” Fred asked, rubbing her back.

“Don’t you get it? Fleur couldn’t find Gabrielle this morning. Hermione’s been gone since last night. Ron has as well. And from what I hear, Cho Chang has disappeared.”

“So?” Lee asked.

“Something dear to each champion has been taken to the bottom of the lake…it’s a person.
Cho is Cedric’s girlfriend and Viktor likes Hermione. Ron is Harry’s best friend and…Gabrielle is the most important person to Fleur.” She gasped.

“They took our little brother to the bottom of the Black Lake?!” George shrieked.

Everyone looked around. Alicia, Angelina, and Katie looked aghast. Lee was frozen.

“Look, it probably won’t be that bad.” Fred assured.

The gun set off and Harry dove into the water.

“YOU PRICK, YOU BETTER COME BACK WITH MY BROTHER OR YOU ARE NEVER INVITED FOR THE HOLIDAYS AGAIN!” Fred screamed.

It was eons before Cedric emerged with Cho. The boys immediately stood up, hoping to see a mop of red and black hair, but it wasn’t.

“It’s been an hour.” George groaned.

Elise rubbed Fred’s back. She could tell he was tense. She too could hardly handle her emotions, which were running wild. She took long deep breaths to stay calm. It wasn’t looking good. She almost ran down to the lake when she saw Fleur being thrashed about.

A girl Elise noticed in a Beauxbatons track suit walked up to her. “Fleur is asking for you.” She said plainly.

Elise got up, as did Fred and George.

“We can’t stay here. We need to be down there.” He said. “We need Ginny too.”

After collecting a frightened looking Ginny, they set down to the water. Elise ran to Fleur, who was shaking.

“Ze grindylows attacked me, Elise!” she wept. “My sister, she is down zere, I know it!”

Elise sat next to her, trying to comfort her. Fred, George, and Ginny stood off to the corner, waiting for the sign of people emerging from the water.

The next person up was Viktor. Elise let go of Fleur for a second to grab Hermione and wrap her in a towel. She was dazed.

“Where are Ron and Harry?!” she screamed, still gasping out water.

“They are not back yet, Hermione.” Elise said sadly.

“Impossible-I saw Harry with the merpeople already. He should be back.” Viktor spat.

Then came the silence. It was quiet. Everyone was worried. And at the very last second, a black mop of hair emerged from the water with a little blond girl and a red haired boy.

Fred and George ran to the water and lifted Ron out, throwing towels at him. Ginny hugged him, even though he was sopping. Elise immediately picked up Gabrielle and wrapped her in warm towels. She whipped out her wand and cast a warming spell over the towels. Fred did the same to Ron.

“Blimey Fred, that’s too hot!” Ron winced. Steam was coming off his body.

Fred smiled sheepishly. “Sorry mate.”

Elise looked at Gabrielle, who was hugging Fleur. She smiled as Fleur kissed her head.

This was what she wanted-families, reunited.

*~*~*~*

Elise and Fred sat by the fire. He stroked her hair.

“It’s been a long day.” Elise sighed.

“Are you joking; it’s been crazy.” Fred sighed.

Elise kissed him lightly. “I’ve never seen you so worried.”

Fred sighed again. “I know, I was a bit of a pansy today. But it was Ron, and as much as we fight, I care about the little git. Did it bother you?”

Elise smiled. “I liked it. It was a different side of you.”

Fred rubbed her arm. “You’re going to see it a lot more.”
♠ ♠ ♠
first update in a long time.
Sorry for the wait guys; I've just been super stressed ):