Status: I have a very strong love/hate relationship with this story. I update like once a month. Just FYI ;)

Anaesthetic Heart

T E N

"Danielle, sweetheart can you hear me?" My father's voice was right beside my ear, calm but thick with concern. My body felt drained, but eerily light as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. My head was sore, my chest and back ached.

"I'm tired," I spoke slowly through my tears, my eyes closed as I felt my Dad lifting me from my crumpled position and setting my farther back in the bed, tucking me under the covers and leaning back against the headboard. "What's g-going to happen now?" I sniffled, my eyes still shut tight.

"Well, now you're going to have to try to be very calm and deal with the changes that are going to take place. Things are going to be difficult, and might be a little hard." Gran spoke softly, as I heard her sit in the chair to the right of the bed. She cleared her throat, "And when you open your eyes, you have to promise not to scream."

"What?" I asked, fear gripping me quickly. I squeezed my eyes shut tighter.

"She means when you see me," Mack said, his voice barely above a whisper. "Danny, please open your eyes.." He let his voice trail off. I took a large breathe, nothing will change. He is your Mack. He will always be your Mack. I slowly opened my eyes.

All I could see was white, the room blanked out. Gently, the whiteness began to die out, and shapes started to form. Then there was Mack. I could see him standing at the foot of the bed, his hands deep in his pockets and a shameful look on his face. And then I noticed it. There was a faint light surrounding him, almost as if he was glowing. It was barely noticeable. I pushed back the blankets and crawled towards him slowly. Sitting back on my knees, I reached up slowly, retracted my hand, and then let it hover just above his right shoulder. "What is it?" I breathed in awe.

"Me, it's my aura." Mack kept his head down, "You can touch it, you know. You have been forever, you just never realized it."

I felt a little nervous. Only a few hours ago, I was waking up to find out that everyone around me is supernatural and I had a curse placed on me. But that doesn't matter, it's still Mack. I reached forward, my hand steadier than it had been all day and gripped him by the shoulder my hand sinking through the little cloud as if it wasn't there, "Don't be ashamed, Mack." I whispered, as I suddenly pulled him into a hug. I could feel his body relax, as he slowly snaked his arms around my waist.

"I'm not anymore," He quietly whispered back, his arms tight around me as if this was all he wanted. As if being my best friend and knowing I was not afraid of him, was all he could ever need.

I gently pulled back placing my hand on his cheek, and looked into his dark eyes that I had grown to know, "Mack, what are you? I mean- oh my god. I didn't mean it like that!" I panicked, suddenly embarrassed with what I had just said. I quickly dropped my hand and looked down.

"Danny. I understand, you're very confused. But it's okay," Mack spoke calmly, amusement in his words. I felt his hand on mine, as he slowly lifted it back up and placed it on his cheek. I raised my head, and watched him intently. He smiled, "I'm a shape-shifter."

I knitted my brows together, "Wait, you mean like Jacob Black from that silly Twilight book?"

He broke out into laughter, and I could hear everyone else in the room also laughing. "Not quite," His voice was that of an adult talking to a toddler, "I was born in human form, but I can change into any living form I want, if need be."

I felt my jaw drop, "Wow." The room broke out into laughter, and I could feel my neck and face heat up. Mack let me take my hand back, and I plopped onto my bottom. I looked at my best friend, his aura, and the gentle twinkle in his dark eyes. I cleared my throat, "I'm glad you told me Mack, but I have a feeling this is only the beginning."

"You're right Danielle," Gran spoke from behind me and I hesitated to turn around, instead picking at the hem of my leggings. "You still have to learn all the truths of your friends, and the truth of your own family of course. Including your father and I, and I suppose your mother." She continued, saying the last bit grudgingly.

"And you already know about Cibrian," My father growled out, his voice sounding angry and dry.

Reluctantly, I turned myself around and faced my Dad, my stomach suddenly in my throat. "What about you?" I questioned, my voice quiet.

"I'm sure you could figure it out with a few hints. Think about this Danielle: when am I usually not home or not around, what is something that tends to be an icon for our family, and what do you always notice about me first?" My Dad's voice was calm and controlled, but he almost sounded fearful of what I would guess. I looked into his eyes and thought about each answer.

"You're usually gone late at night and not around in the early mornings," I bit my lip as I looked down at the ring Gran had given me, resting on my right ring finger. I sighed, "The moon, the Wist's always have something to do with the moon. And I always notice the way you smell, like damp earth and fresh rain."

My father nodded after each answer, the corners of his lips fighting a smirk as his eyes fought something much deeper. "So, if you're thinking of mythical creatures, what comes to mind?" His voice was dead calm, sending shivers up my spine. I shot my eyes to the bed.

"Wewoumphs," I mumbled under my breathe, abashed that I even had to think of such a thing. The room was silent, as everyone waited for me to repeat myself. I exhaled greatly, raising my eyes to meet my father's, "Werewolves."

We kept eye contact for several seconds, my heartbeat in my throat and my palms feeling clammy. Tentatively, he nodded. I caught my breathe. "Danielle, don't freak out now. Remember what you promised, let me explain." I felt a cold flash of fear and guilt in me, as I nodded numbly.

It made sense. The closed door in the mornings, the shaggy hair, the earthy smell, the strength, the speed, the muscles, even the confidence and power. My Dad is a werewolf. "Okay, I'll listen." All I could feel was confusion.

"I am not a monster," His voice was composed, but his eyes showed fear of rejection, "I can change whenever I want to, but I must change every full moon. It is not cute, or fun as movies may make it seem. Nor is it as brutal and terrifying. It is painful, yes. But once I change I have full control of myself. I am not half man half dog, either. I am a large wolf. In fact, I am alpha."

I swallowed heavily, understanding sinking in, "And you Gran, are you.. a..?" My throat felt dry.

"No, Hun. I am not. I just carried the gene. Just as we hope you will." Her voice was gentle and soothing, but her words struck me.

"As I will?" I couldn't breathe, I was panicking.

"Yes, we won't know until your seventeenth birthday. You will either change like your father," Gran spoke deliberately, her words patient, "Or you will remain the same. Like your mother and I."

"Wait, what? M-My Mom too?" I felt like the room was shrinking, this was too much.

"Yes, Danielle. She carries the gene from another pack. It is likely you may change, but also likely you may not. We can't be sure yet." My father's voice was gentle, and as I looked up at him, I could see only compassion in his eyes.

I felt sick. "I think I need some air," I rushed out, standing up on wobbly legs and heading for the door, "If you don't mind-d, I'm going to go to my room and change. I'm just going to go sit outside for a while. C-clear my head."

"Danielle, wait!" I could hear my Dad calling after me, as I stumbled down the hall.

"Let her go, let her." Gran hushed him, just as I slipped past my door and entered my room. It was cooler in here, the window wide open and the chilly winter breeze flowing across the small space. My make-up bag was sitting open on my trunk, and my bed was left unmade, just as it had been over a week ago. This is unreal.

Desperate to get some fresh air and space, I pulled on a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie that was left lying on the floor. Flipping my hair upside down, I tied it into a bun and slipped on a thick polka-dot headband. Running my fingers around the band of my ring, I stormed over and slammed my bedroom window and left the room. I nearly sprinted down the stairs, my short legs carrying me faster than I thought possible.

As I rushed to the laundry room to slip on some shoes, I passed by my mother and step-father sitting at the kitchen island. I walked faster to get away from the piercing glare Cibrian sent me, and the sobbing form of my mother.

When I was ready, I pulled open the door and stepped into the cold winter air. I stood there for a couple minutes, before stepping forward and standing at the top of the porch steps. It was a pleasant cold, that sent chills down your spine and refreshed you at the same time. I sighed contently.

"It was really stupid of you to talk to you're mother like that, after all she's done for you." A harsh voice sneered from behind me.

I whirled to see the snide face of Cibrian, merely feet from my own. I took a small half step back, which he met with two steps forward, he was really close now. I gulped, "You should know about stupid, putting that curse on me. What were you expecting anyway?"

"That dumb little girls like you would never know the difference." His voice was even and cold.

"Well I'm not dumb, and your stupid little curse didn't work out the way you planned, did it?" I fought to keep my voice level, but the way Cibrian slitted his eyes made me want to run.

"It did exactly what I asked of it, it kept you from knowing the truth," He spat, "That's all your mother wanted."

I was angry now, "Yeah, well who cares what my mother wants. The last time I checked, it's not that bitch's life it's mine."

Cibrian's eyes turned to ice, washing all fake anger induced confidence from me. He snarled, "You would be wise to watch your tongue, Danielle. I cursed you once, I can do it again."

More anger filled me, swelling my chest and head with false bravado. "Does it make you feel like a man, Cibrian - to threaten teenage girls?" I sneered.

The next thing I knew, the back of Cibrian's hand struck my cheek as I let out a loud whimper, sending my backwards down the steps and onto the frozen ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
CHAPTER TEN, LADIES AND GENTS.
hahah, so I know it's kinda short. But I really,
Really, really just needed a filler / explanation,
& a starter for this next exciting chapter.
Does it make any sense yet?
I applaud you (:

PS: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=43424474
For Those Curious Readers

PSS: I'd like to give a beautiful shout out,
to the amazing Chantelle (Perfect.Mess)
She is a newbie up in here, and she has her own story,
Called Timber, which I highly suggest y'all read.
She's a sweetheart, and this chappy is dedicated to her.