Raining Droplets.

Exhausted.

“Is he alright?”

Sniffling, I pulled away from where my face was implanted into Brayden’s shoulder and glanced up at the guy standing in front of us, decked out in his dark green ambulance uniform. Sunglasses were perched up high on his head over his hat and had a radio strapped to his belt with the speaker clipped to his shoulder. His eyes clearly showed that he has seen far worse that what he did a moment ago.

A worried frown was pulling at his lips and I honestly don’t really blame him, I probably looked like I was having a mental breakdown right now in front of everyone.

Bringing my hands up, I wiped away the tears on my cheeks and nodded gently as Brayden ran his hand down my back. I had only been crying for about ten minutes and already my head was pounding with my pulse thumping hard in my ears.

“I’ll be fine.” I muttered feeling a small sting from the cut in my lip as I spoke.

The paramedic didn’t look like he believed me, but nodded anyway. He picked up his bag from where it was seated by the couch. I looked down at my lap so I didn’t have to look at that part of the room and leant into my boyfriend more. I noticed that my fingers looked just slightly swollen from Kellen smashing his head on them before.

“Is either of you two coming to the hospital in the ambulance? We are ready to leave.” The guy said softly.
“I’ll be following in our car.” Brayden said before clearing his voice.
“I...I’ll be g-going by car.”

I felt Brayden’s eyes on my face then but didn’t look at him; I instead watched the paramedic walk out the front door. Wiping my face again, I stood up shakily and treaded slowly into the kitchen dragging my feet a little. I opened up the closets cupboard to the doorway, which we have turned into our emergency cupboard, and pulled out a shopping bag with a change of Kellen’s clothes already in it.

I bundled up his medication and Medicare information into the bag, though really they should know all his details by now without even needing the stupid card or even looking at his files.

I walked out the room making sure to avoid the lounge room and grabbed a couple of tissues on the way out. Brayden was standing at the front door waiting, car keys in hand and took my hand the second I was out of the house. I froze staring at the ambulance as it backed out of our driveway.

I hated being in there; it was just as bad as being stuck in the waiting room at the hospital and it always made me feel like I was in the way of them treating Kellen. They had barely enough room as it was in the vehicle let alone me being in there taking up much needed space.

Though I really hated being in there, I still wanted to in a way, to be there for Kellen...but today I just don’t think I could handle it. Him laying there unconscious, deathly pale, having needles possibly poked into his arm and having the air mask placed over his face... the memory alone makes me want to throw up and heart clench to dust.

Suddenly Brayden tugged on my hand snapping me out of my gaze. I blinked and let him pull me to the car, almost tripping over as he did. We piled into the car silently and after clicking my seat belt in, I rested my head against the window closing my eyes. The glass was cold and rattling slightly from the car moving, but I paid no mind to it.

“Are you alright, babe?” Brayden whispered, reaching over to take my hand.
“I...I don’t know.”

He squeezed my hand and I linked our fingers lightly together, resting them on my thigh. I wanted to think of something else, something calming to stop my erratic heart rate but all I could hear in my head was the ‘thump, thump, thump’ of my pulse. It wasn’t helping how much my head was pounding from crying already.

I don’t know how long it took, but when I eventually opened my eyes again we were pulling into the hospital carpark. Brayden swung the car into the closets available park to the entrance and turned the car off almost at the same time. Before I had the chance to move, Brayden took the bag from me and was getting out of the car.

I blinked stunned for a split second before I shoved the door open and slamming it shut. I rushed towards the entrance with Brayden hot on my heals. The doors opened and we got blasted by that annoying burst of air from the vent above the doors. I shivered at the sudden temperature change but kept moving – straight for the emergency ward.

As I stepped into the waiting area I almost ran smack into Carol.

“Oh, there you boys are, I knew you’d be here soon.” She said gripping my arm gently and pulling me back out into the hallway. “Kellen has just gotten here too, their doing first obs now. I didn’t really get the chance to see him just yet but from what I saw he’s still out of it.” She said softly.

I nodded numbly as the information slowly sunk in. She gave me a worried look, more than usual but then looked at Brayden.

“Is that bag for Kellen?” She said.

Brayden nodded and handed it to her. The second she took the bag, his hand that was holding it took my hand. His grip hurt my already sore fingers at little this time, but I ignored it. Right now I don’t care if my hand was even broken; I am going to hold it no matter what.

“It should have all his meds and info in there.” He mumbled looking at me, I nodded.
“I have to get these back in there and I’ll be out the moment I know what is going on.” She promised smiling sadly. “Take the private waiting room down the hall, it should be empty.”
“Thank you.” I whispered already turning away from her.

Like before I let Brayden lead me as I half stumbled after him. He pushed the door open and peeked in making sure it was empty before heading in. He spun around so he was holding both of my hands and gently seated me down onto the couch right next to the door. He kneeled down in front of me letting go of my hands and cupped my cheeks. I leant into his touch, his skin warm against mine.

“Are you alright?” He asked softly with worry dropping from every word. “You’re really, really pale, it’s...it’s scaring me.”

I let out a deep breath and bit down on my lip, only to flinch because it still hurt a lot. I could taste the smallest hint of blood again, but nothing as bad as before.

“I think, I’ll be fine.” I whispered. “I just...yeah.”

He closed his eyes for a moment and nodded running the pad of his thumbs over my cheek bones. I could feel sparks from his touch there, heating my skin slightly and even more so when he pressed his lips to my temple. Too soon he pulled away and stood up. I watched silently as he pulled his phone out from his pocket and pressed a few buttons, probably texting his parents as he sat down beside me, leaning against my side.

Taking a long deep breath I leaned back against him and let my eyes wonder around the dull room. No matter how many times I have been here, this room never changes. The same plastic dust covered plant in the corner, some magazines on the table, same huge coffee stain on one side of the room and the same graphic medical posters along the back wall.

The same mind numbing stuff I see every time I’m in here trying to forget the look in Kellen’s eyes as he’s shuddering on the floor...

Suddenly my stomach knotted making my breathing hitch, all air getting caught in my throat. My heart rate skyrocketed to the point that it felt like it was going to break out of my chest. I felt my eyes water and all warmth from Brayden’s touches on my face vanish. My stomach twisted almost painfully. I slid off the couch and walked quick as I could to the door.

“Where are you-“
“I just need to go to the toilet.” I muttered pulling the door shut behind me.

I rushed the three or so meters to the toilet and with luck it was empty. I leant over the bowl just as the vile was coming up my throat. Being that I skipped breakfast again today and only ate one small thing, it was all pretty much all stomach acid, which burnt the fuck out of the cut on my lip making me whimper loudly.

“Hun, are you-“
“I’m fine!” I gasped the second I heard his voice.

I winched at the stretch on my lip as I spoke, I could feel the area swelling already and pulsing as much as my head has been. Reaching out I grabbed a bunch of toilet paper and whipped the mess dribbling down my chin. The second wave of nausea hit making me groan leaning over again. The door creaked behind me and I froze for a second.

I forgot to lock the damn door!

“Chance, what- Oh shit.”

I groaned loudly before the next lot of fluid came spilling out. Within a second Brayden was standing beside me holding my hair back with one hand and patting my back with the other. I wanted to say that I would be fine in a moment for his sake but all that came out was a half choked off moan as more fluid came up.

Once I was finally finished my knees started shaking, tears leaked from my eyes and my body slumped forward. Brayden quickly wrapped his arm around my waist to steady me. I leant back into him, closing my eyes and sucked in large gulps of air like if my lungs couldn’t get enough. My head felt dizzy, but lighter than before and my eyes were heavy.

It was silent for a long moment before I opened my eyes, breathing a bit better now and looked at Brayden’s worried eyes.

“I think...I think I’m good now.” I whispered.
“You don’t feel sick anymore?” He asked rubbing his hand over my stomach, which felt really nice.
“No,” I shook my head lightly. “Tired though.”

He grazed his fingers over my stomach again and kissed my temple before pulling me over towards the sink to help clean me up. I showed him the cut inside of my lip and he helped rinse water over it, which brought the stinging down a fair bit. I smiled softly in thanks being careful of the cut and pulled him close for a hug once everything was done.

He simply held me for a long time before squeezing me and pulling away, taking my hand leading me back towards the waiting room slowly. I wiped my face again with the sleeve of my hoodie and bit back a yawn. As much as I’d like to, I cannot go to sleep before Kellen wakes up.

From the corner of my eye I noticed that Brayden was limping slightly. I frowned remembering that he got kicked in the hip earlier. Tugging on his hand, I stopped walking and pulled him back to me. He looked confused but I just slid my hand out of his.

I ran my fingers alone the hem of his jeans and pulled down the side slightly. He flinched so I pulled the fabric away from the skin as much as I could. I gasped when I saw the beginnings of what will be a huge bruise. It was defiantly not good looking and the strength that was behind that kick...it’s amazing he can walk right now.

“It’s painful but not as bad as it looks.” He said softly pulling my hands away from the area. “I’ll be fine.”

I frowned again but nodded, trusting his word. Loud footsteps from our right caught our attention and we both looked up to see Carol walking towards us with a soft smile on her face.

“Kellen’s been moved to the ward.” She said stopping in front of us. “He has no wounds apart from a bit of a lump on the back of his head, by which did he hit his head on something?”
“Yeah, the floor.” I nodded.
“Well it’s not that serious, though he might have a bit of a headache when he wakes up. He somewhat woke up twice, very dozy, all we got out of him was where he was and asking where you two were – which is a good sign after a seizure like that.”

I nodded letting out a deep breath. At least he was alright, right now that’s all I could ask for.

“He’s in room five, across from the nurses’ office again. We’ll be doing fifteen minute obs until he wakes up. You can both go see him now.” She smiled.
“Thank you.” I sighed relieved smiling back.

She grinned and started walking gesturing for us to follow, though she very much knows that we almost know this place as well as she does. Once we reached the room, she ducked into the nurses’ office and we headed into the room. Out of both beds only the one Kellen was laying in was being used.

Like every other time, he was laying there still, blankets pulled up to his chest and skin deathly pale. But he looked mostly peaceful, which was a good thing. I walked over to his bedside and placed my hand over his. I don’t know who’s hand was more cold, his or mine.

I patted his hand gently and turned to find Brayden moving a chair over to me. He placed it down gently and went to turn, probably for another but I shook my head. He understood and sat down. I placed myself in his lap gently being careful of his hip as I leant back against him.

“I’m not hurting your hip am I?” I whispered glancing at Kellen to make sure I wasn’t disturbing him at all.
“No, just don’t lean you weight on that side because then you might.”
“Ok.” I nodded.

I moved my head onto his shoulder keeping my eyes on my uncle lying in front of us. When he would wake up, who knows but I hope it’s soon. At least even if it’s only long enough for him to say ‘hi’ to us or smile. Small things like that can make a world of a difference.

Silently I reached over and picked up Brayden’s hand placing it over my numb stomach and held it there.

“Please?”

He started stroking his thumb back and forth beneath my hand. I couldn’t help but hum just lightly, because right now after throwing up, it really felt nice. I shivered and curled into him more as my eyes fluttered shut on their own accord.

“Feel nice?”
“Yeah.” I breathed. “Thanks.”

He kissed my cheek and I could feel him smiling against my skin, which made me smile as much as I could with my lip at the moment. I felt my shoulders slowly relax and let my head flop to the side so my face was pressed into his neck.

Suddenly I felt myself drifting off so I snapped my eyes open and moved my head up blinking a few times. Everything was dizzy for a moment before it became clear again.

“It’s alright; go to sleep for a while.” Brayden whispered still moving his hand on my stomach.
“No, I can’t.”
“You can too.”

With his free hand he pushed my head back to where it was before, I tried to pull away but he held me there.

“I can’t, what if Kellen-“
“The second he wakes up, I’ll wake you up. It’s alright to rest for a while.” He said softly placing his head on mine. “Having a nap won’t hurt, today has been long enough anyway, plus you do kinda look like you’re going to pass out exhausted sometime soon.”
“I won’t.”

Brayden chuckled lightly poking my side after removing his hand from my head.

“You will.”

I rolled my eyes and grunted, but let myself relax back into him again. There was never any point arguing with him, for some reason almost every time he was right. I seriously want to know how he always is, I swear he can read my mind and I don’t know if that should scare me or not.

I turned slightly in his lap so I was sitting more sideways than on one leg, being careful of his hip I placed my face into his neck blocking out the bright lights in the room. Yawning against his skin I let my eyes fall shut again.

“Mmm, you better wake me up.”
“You know I will.” He chuckled.

He moved his hand on my stomach a little making me shiver. His other arm moved to be wrapped around my waist so I wouldn’t be able to fall flat on the ground while sleeping.

“Love you.” I mouthed into his skin.
“I love you too.” He whispered.

I smiled and felt that almost falling feeling you get just as you pass out from exhaustion. Everything went calm, soft and warm. As much as I still didn’t want to go to sleep, I let it drag me down happy to be falling asleep in the best place that I could: in Brayden’s arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, the comments on the last chapter...just wow
Reading them really meant a lot, seriously. I was trying not to cry considering I spent that whole day after I posted the chapter visiting a family member that is in hospital, then to come on the net later and see those comments, yeah wow. Seriously thankyou so much. <3
Writing something so close to me and to see that people love it and appreciate it as much, make remembering everything to write this story more worth it, you know?

By the way, this chapter is 3,000 words long exactly! Roughly around 1,000 words longer than normal. Hope you liked it :3