Status: Completed :D (Maybe an Epilogue...idk)

Windows of the Soul

Chapter Four

Algebra let out and Drew and I rushed out of the room together. I didn't even see Jace as we walked through the crowded hallways toward the lunch room. We made a quick detour to my locker where I grabbed my lunch, then we were off again. We soon made it to our usual lunch table, containing Penny, Drew, Jess, Drew's friend Brent, me, and a couple of other people that were casual acquaintances. I sat down between Penny and Drew, and opposite of Brent. Penny and Jess were in deep conversation.

Drew stole a chip out of my bag and popped it into his mouth as I sipped from the Mountain Dew I had packed. I snatched the chip bag away playfully and stuck it back in my lunch bag. The Baked Lays were my favorite, and I was going to savor each and every one; since the chip companies that bag the bags don't put many chips in the bags, there weren't many to savor. I mean, come on, why even individualize them if you put so few in?

As I popped my own chip in my mouth the cafeteria suddenly quieted as Jace walked in, holding a tray with school food on top. He looked around the cafeteria, as if he were searching for someone, before his eyes came to rest upon me. Drew didn't notice; he was in deep conversation about football with Brent. Jace started walking slowly, confidently, to our table, and I felt Penny's adamant tapping on my shoulder. I turned around and she whispered in my ear, "Is he coming over here? Ohmigod he's coming over here!" I thought her and Jess, especially Jess, were going to have a heart attack.

There was one empty seat left at our table, next to Brent and Jess, across from me. He approached and, without asking, plopped down in the seat. People--especially girls--from the other tables peered enviously at us.

"Hey," Jace said to me, tearing open the paper on his chicken sandwich. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Drew's eyes widen before narrowing into slits. He and Brent had stopped talking.

Jess must've not liked Jace's attention on me, because she said, "You're new here, right? Hi, I'm Jess." She smiled flirtatiously at Jace, who returned her smile with one of his own.

"I'm Jace," he nodded to himself, as if confirming his name. Jess giggled.

"So I'm Jess, that's Penny, I guess you know Ali, that's her boyfriend Drew, and that's Brent." Jess introduced everyone at the lunch table. I noticed that Jace's eyes flashed when she introduced Drew as my boyfriend. Drew slid his arm around my waist, his eyes on Jace the whole time.

I cleared my throat, trying to release the tension, and said, "So how's your first day treating you, Jace?" Jess and Penny looked inquiringly towards Jace, who shrugged.

"Hasn't changed since the last time you asked me," Jace said nonchalantly. My cheeks reddened, and Jess and Penny looked over at me carefully.

"Do you like it?" Penny asked, trying to get the attention off of me, for my sake.

"I don't know yet," was all he said. He took a huge bite out of his chicken sandwich.

Drew leaned down and whispered in my ear, "Why don't we ditch lunch for someplace quieter?"

I swatted him and said, "Because I haven't eaten most of my lunch, and I'm hungry, and we can't just ditch lunch because Ms. Holly is standing right over there." I signaled with my pinky our teacher, who hovered like a bat outside the only lunch room doors. Drew sighed, defeated, and leaned me into him. I closed my eyes and tried not to think about Jace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is it okay? Please let me know!
Thanks,
-K