Near to You.

004.

He pressed the cool glass against his lips as he watched her step out of her black Audi. Matt quickly made his way to the back yard, not wanting to seem too eager to see her. Christian Louboutin heels clicked against the dusty asphalt as Asher made her way up the pathway to Zacky’s home. She was nervous yet excited to meet people outside of her tight nit group of friends, even if they had a bad reputation. Her palms began to sweat and the thought of leaving right then crept to the front of her mind but before she could run, the door swung wide open. A petite blond stood underneath the door frame with a wide grin plastered on her face.
“Hi!” She stretched her arm out, “I’m Gena, Zacky’s girlfriend. You must be Asher.” Asher shook her hand politely and smirked. She was happy that a friendly face greeted her, not Matt. This made her decision to stay a certain one.
“Hi Gena, it’s really nice to meet you.” Gena ushered her in and shut the door behind her. Their home was beautiful, small compared to her parents but still quite large. Marble floors lead them into a stunning, sleek kitchen where Gena pulled open the fridge and pulled Asher out a beer.
“Beer?” She asked, “If not, I have wine, whatever you like.” She was being genuinely nice and the smile was still upon her lips.
“Beer,”
“You’re Matt’s kind of girl then.” Gena twisted off the cap and handed her a frosty corona.
“What?” Asher nearly choked and took a long swig of her beer.
“Nothing, now come on, let me introduce you to people.” Gena took Asher’s hand and lead her out to the big back yard. A tennis court was pushed in the back of the lawn and a clear, baby blue pool lay directly in the middle of the yard.
“I love your home,” Asher smiled as Gena released her grip.
“Well thank you,” She smiled. “You know, I really love your hair. It’s perfect, who cuts it?” She just smiled at Gena, liking how interested she was in the little things.
“It’s this salon I got to in Costa Mesa, its right by The Lab. I don’t know if you know where that is?”
“No, I do!” Gena grinned, “I’ve got a friend that works there, its right down the street from the South Coast Plaza right?”
“Yeah!” Asher laughed and bit her lower lip as she grinned.
“I cut hair, you should let me do yours sometime!”
“Totally, that wo-“
“Hey ladies,” Zacky approached and slithered his arm around Gena’s waist. “You know,” Zacky smirked at Asher. “He’s been sitting by the pool waiting for you to arrive, he’s been wanting to talk to you since you arrived.” Asher knew exactly who “he” was. She carefully and discretely turned to glance at Matt. He sat there nervously, fidgeting with the label on his beer bottle. She couldn’t help but snicker at his uneasiness.
“Go talk to him,” Gena urged and gave her a friendly shove on the shoulder.
“I hate him.” She said flatly and turned back to Zacky and his girlfriend.
“He’s trying to make up for what he’s done.” Gena smiled warmly and snuck a kiss from Zacky. Asher just shook her head; did he have to tell the whole world about her?
“Fine.” She huffed and casually made her way to Matt’s side. “Hey.” She said, not sitting down next to him, only pressing the beer bottle to her lips.
“Hey,” He looked up at her and flashed a crooked smile. “This is Johnny,” He motioned toward the short, mohawk clad boy that sat next to him.
“Hi Johnny, it’s nice to meet you.” She smiled and shook his hand.
“Sup Asher,” He grinned but that soon faded as he saw the look that Matt threw at him. “Well, I’m gonna go talk to Brian.” Brian. Brian Haner Jr. Asher whipped her head around and stared at the tall man that was standing dangerously close to the pool, a brunette in his arms. He had grown up so much and to think that was the boy she had grown up with. Family friends since birth, but still that didn’t stop his from teasing her along with Matt.
“Weird to see Brian, huh?” Matt patted the chair next to him and smiled.
“Yeah, weird.” She whispered.
“So, who have you met so far?” He was trying so hard to keep up a conversation but she was just so distant. As he looked at her, he wanted nothing more than to take her up stairs and just kiss her all night, nothing more but he knew this was wrong. He had just met her, well, he just met her again.
“Johnny and Gena,” There was no emotion in her voice and he hated it.
“Want me to introduce you to some more people?”
“I’m a big girl Matt, I can do shit for myself,” She jumped to her feet and stared directly into his eyes. “You can stop trying so hard Matt.” She spoke calmly. “It’s stupid to even try to make what you did up t me.”
“Ash, it was just high school. I think it’s time to get over it.”
“Don’t call me Ash, only friends call me Ash and it wasn’t “just high school,” You realize how fucking ostracized I really was? I didn’t even go to my prom.”
“I didn’t either.”
“That was your choice, I never got one.” Asher hissed and marched off. Her anger was getting the best of her until she heard that smooth voice.
“Look who turned into a woman.”
“Hi Brian.”
“How are you Asher?”
“I’m good, you?” She nearly started to chug her beer.
“Great,”
“That’s good. How’s your dad?” Asher finally faced him and set the bottle on to the small snack table set out.
“He’s really good, he’s touring with Jeff Dunham right now. You know, he asked about you a couple weeks ago and your dad said you graduated from Pepperdine, congratulations.” He smiled whole heartedly and rubbed her arm.
“Wow, tell your dad I said congrads on the tour. I haven’t seen him in awhile, I miss him. And yeah, I graduated from there with a degree in psychology. Have I put my expensive education to use? No.” The two both laughed, it was different though. When they were growing up their “friendship” seemed forced but now that they are older, more mature, maybe they could finally get along.
“Well, what are you going to do?” Brian chuckled sarcastically, “The economy is shit and nobody can fucking find work.”
“You’re right,” Asher sighed.
“So, Matt tells me he’s trying to make up for the shit he caused you in high school.” Brian grabbed a handful of chips from the bowl and stuffed them into his mouth.
“More like try to get in my pants,” Brian laughed.
“Look, I know Matt and I have never seen him so, I don’t know, distraught over this. He seems genuine about this and also, I want to apologize. I was young and fucking retarded. I didn’t know how that could affect someone.”
“It’s all good Brian, no harm done by you.”
“Ash shut up, I know I made you cry more than once.” They both laughed. “Give me a hug.”
Asher wrapped her arms around her old friend and pulled him close. It felt perfect. “See was that so hard? Now just say what you said to Matt.”
“Brian, that is completely different, I mean, completely.” She sighed and shook her head.
“Maybe you’re right,” He smirked. “Oh!” He turned to the brunette walking by and grabbed her arm. “This is my girlfriend Michelle, Michelle this is an old family friend Asher.”
“Hi Asher,” Michelle smiled and hugged her. “It’s nice meeting you.”
“Yeah, you too!”
“Here, let’s introduce you to the other girls.”
Michelle led Asher over to the small group of girls. Lacey, Leana, and Val were all introduced to the new girl.
“Asher,” Leana spoke softly. “Jimmy mentioned you a couple times.” Asher swallowed hard, she knew who Leana was even before she was introduced and it broke her heart to finally meet her.
“Yeah,” Asher flashed her a small smile, “We were friends.” The group grew quiet.
“So!” Gena chirped. “This is the girl Matt has his eye on.”
“Oh, be careful with that one.” Val laughed. Asher didn’t know how to react. She remembered back in high school when Matt and she were the longest lasting relationship. Always attached to each other’s hips, you could never find either one alone. “Don’t worry,” Val must have noticed her uneasiness. “Matt and I broke up after high school. It was just weird dating one of my best friends and I needed to experience some things. It’s not weird between us, we’re still friends.” She smiled and shot a smirk at Michelle. “I have a boyfriend now.”
“Oh, uh,” Asher stuttered. “That’s cool? I, uh, wasn’t planning on dating him.”
“Really?” Lacey asked. “Because the way he talks about you is like you are already dating.” The girls all erupted into laughter.
“Speaking of,” Leana giggled.
“I guess he wants to see his girlfriend.” Once again the girl broke out into laughter, holding their sides and wiping their eyes.
“Hey,” He said as the girls attempted to calm down. “Can I talk to you?”
“Why not?” Asher smirked at the girls and followed him to the end of the lawn.
“I’ve been watching you all night.” He almost whispered.
“That’s creepy.” Asher cringed.
“Asher, look at me,” He brought his hand up to her cheek and turned her head so she was facing him. His hand remained in the same place as he spoke. “I am so sorry.” He paused. “I want to make it up to you, like I have been saying. I want to go out with you.”
“I don’t.”
“Asher!” Matt nearly screamed. “Just give me a god damn fucking chance. Okay?”
“I don’t date.”
“You don’t have to make up shitty excuses.” He removed his hand and crossed his arms. Asher felt almost disappointed when he did.
“I don’t date.” She said once more. This was true. She was never one to date, afraid to put herself out there and end up getting burned.
“So you want to stay single forever?”
“That’s my plan.”
“That’s bullshit.”
“You talking to me the way you are talking to me is bullshit.” Asher spat and pushed him backward.
“What the fuck.” He growled. “I’m not going to give up this fucking easy.” He was getting angrier and she could tell by the amount of profanities that were spilling from his lips.
“Neither am I.” Asher smirked and walked off.
♠ ♠ ♠
REV