Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

XVII

Eloise lowered her book as she heard her son let out a squeal. Glancing over her shoulder she saw that James was following her mom as was gardening. She peered over at her dad who was sitting across her reading the news paper.

“Hey dad, I have a question.” Isaac set the paper down and looked over at his daughter.

“What about sweetie?”

“Well . . . I was wondering about the saving yourself before marriage,” Eloise started to explain. Isaac just nodded knowing she wasn’t finished yet. “I mean, how does it apply if you’ve been married and then widowed?”

Isaac sat there for a moment thinking of how to answer the question. Before he could say anything, the back door of the house opened up, Eloise's nephews came running into the back yard. Sarah and Sam walked over to the table and sat down.

“Where’s Dan?” Eloise asked looking over to see her nephews playing with James.

“He’s working on a project for work.” Sarah answered as she observed her little sister. “What were you two talking about before we got here?”

“We were discussing sex before marriage and what it means if you’ve been divorced or widowed.” Isaac answered.

“Eloise please tell me you aren’t going to have sex with that . . . hooligan,” Sarah showed her distain on her face.

“I was just wondering what dad thought about widows having sex. Nothing about me sleeping with Brian.” Eloise told her, even though the thought of giving herself to Brian crossed her mind sometimes.

“Meh let the girl have sex, I have sex.” Sam said with a smirk. Sarah rolled her eyes at her younger brother’s attitude. “Spread the seed right dad?”

“Sure son, just don’t knock up some random girl.” Isaac joked with his son. “No but in all seriousness, El Bell what it comes down to, is that it’s your decision. If you want to sleep with someone before marriage then by all means, you’re an adult but remember all actions have consequences.”

“I don’t think you should—”

“Oh shut the fuck up already Sarah!” Sam groaned throwing his head back. “She’s twenty nine been with one dude in her whole life. If she wants to fuck Synyster Gates then let her.”

“Sam, his name is Brian.” Eloise said quietly as she picked up James who’d made his way over to her.

“But don’t you remember when we were walking home and decided to go through the park?” Sam asked laughing. “Ah man it was so funny . . . then Jimmy,” Eloise reached over and rubbed her little brother's arm knowing he looked up Jimmy for so long. “Anyways, Sarah let the girl live. Just because you don’t like sex doesn’t mean El wont.”

“No because once he gets what he wants he’ll leave. I’m just looking out for her.” Sarah said defending herself.

“Kids, let Eloise live her life. Besides I’ve been friends with Brian’s dad for a long time, he raised his boy right.” Isaac told them defending his little girls love, even if she hasn’t admitted it.

“Well I’m going to give James a bath since he helped grandma in the garden today!” Eloise stood up going inside the house. “Bath time mister,” Eloise set him down on the bathroom floor then sighed when she saw the baby shampoo was empty. She picked him back up and walked to the kitchen where her mom was washing her hands. “Can you watch James while I run to the store?”

“What do you need hun?” Jane asked taking her grandson into her arms.

“Baby shampoo and I minus well get other things before I run out. I won’t be gone long,” Eloise promised.

“It’s fine sweetie, go get what you need. I’ll get him lunch and feed the other boys.” Jane patted her daughter’s shoulders giving her a smile.

“Alright I’ll be back really soon,” Eloise left room and already heard James start whining. Grabbing her purse and keys, she quickly left the house running to the closest store. Running into the store Eloise went straight to the baby aisle grabbing the shampoo and baby wash. Groaning she went an aisle over and grabbed a box of tampons. She went to the self check out to get home faster.

Once she arrived home Eloise held her breath hoping today James acted better. Slipping into the house she heard James crying. Going down the hallway towards the spare room her parents set for James and opened the door. Her mom was sitting in the rocking chair trying to calm down James who was squirming, his face red.

“Look Jim Jam, it’s momma.” Eloise set the bags down and went over to James who was reaching his arms out for her.

“How bad was he?” She asked as James hid his face in her neck and curled himself into her. Eloise rubbed his back and Jane looked at her daughter sympathetically.

“Oh honey . . .” Jane got up kissing Eloise forehead. “He’s going through the separation anxiety stage. You went through it, your brother did . . . Sarah not at all, but you know how your sister is.” Eloise nodded slightly calmer from her mom’s words. “He’ll get over it soon enough okay?”

“Mom I don’t think he will. James got use to seeing Brian from the moment he woke up to the moment he fell asleep but after Brian went on tour . . .” Eloise wiped the tears that were forming in her eyes away.

“Oh baby,” Jane pulled her daughter into her arms. “He’ll be back tomorrow and home for a couple weeks . . . maybe since they’ll be doing a small tour in America you guys can go with?” Jane suggested.

“I don’t know mom,” Eloise mumbled. “I’m going to take a bath with James since he freaks out if I’m out of view.”

“Okay sweetie, then you guys rest and try to sleep tonight alright?”

Eloise gave her mother a nod, Jane left the room letting her daughter calm James all the way down. Eloise pulled James face away from her body to see his eyes were red and there were tear tracks on his cheek.

“Oh my baby,” Eloise whispered kissing his face. “Let’s go take a bubble bath.”

Eloise rested her head back against the tub wall as James sat on her lap still curled into her. He wouldn’t leave her side or let her set him down. Hearing a knock on the door, Eloise mumbled for whoever to come in since she was fully covered by the bubbles. Sam slipped in and gave a smile to sister and nephew.

“So this all started when Brian left?”

“Yeah,” Sam watched as sister brushed James hair to the side. “So you guys couldn’t calm him down at all?”

“Nope and of course Sarah had something to say,” He rolled his eyes thinking about his older sister. “The other boys tried to calm him down but nothing worked. He just stood at the window saying ‘mama’ over and over and I think he’d say Bri every once and awhile.”

“I don’t get it, he has never been like this.”

“How is he at night?” Eloise just shrugged shaking her head. “Did James ever hear Avenged’s music?”

“Uh I think Brian would sing to him and play the guitar to put him to sleep sometimes.”

“Well tonight you should try playing some of their songs for him, maybe he’ll recognize the melody and words.” Sam suggested.

“Thanks bub, I’ll try that.”

“No prob, now I gotta go, hot date tonight!” Sam said standing up.

“Use protection.” Eloise told him as he walked out of the bathroom. “Well little guy, I think we’re wrinkly enough.” Eloise got them in their towels and drained the tub.

“Hun I put his PJs in your room!” Jane yelled when she heard the bathroom door opened. Eloise followed James into her room where she saw his PJs lying on her bed. After changing him and setting him against her pillows, Eloise slipped on her pajama shorts and tank top then opened her computer turning on Skype to see if Brian was on yet. Sighing she got up and quickly made her way down the hall.

“Hey ma, can you make some warm milk for James? I want to put him to bed early since I’ll have to get up early to get Brian.” Jane gave her a nod so Eloise could quickly get back to James. She saw that James was still lying with his head rested on the pillow, his stuffed monkey clenched to his side. A minute later Jane came in with one of James’ cups with warm milk in it. “Thank mom,”

“It’s not a problem Hun, nighty night baby boy.” Jane kissed the top of James head as handed him his cup then gave her daughter a kiss on the top of her head. Eloise looked back at her computer to see that Brian still hadn’t signed on to Skype. She was hoping to talk to him before his flight. Turning her computer off, Eloise set it on the desk then got under the covers of her bed and brought James in close to her. Remembering her brother’s words, she reached over to her iPod and turned it on to the playlist at a low volume letting the music drift them off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Seperation anxiety is a pain to deal with when babies/toddlers are going through it. I remember when the little girl I watch had it, I had to sing Grease songs the whole time and when he brother went through it, it was "Winter Wonderland"....

anywho. This would've been out yesterday like I planned but, my god I'm tired. Went to the Kings/Red Wings game monday night, even though my boys lost, I'm still proud of how they played. Then yesterday I was at LAX all day...not fun...but I posted this today because tomorrow, I'm going to the Kings game...yes I go a lot.

Plus at the game on Monday Cuba Gooding Jr. was there, Willie O'Ree (first african american to play in the NHL) and The Tuskegee Airmen were honored also. It was pretty cool seeing them that night.

Thank you to all readers/Subscribers (hello new ones)/commenters

I love you guys and I would love to know your thoughts.