Sequel: Dare To Have A Doubt

You having fun there Cas?

Carry On Wayward Son

Chapter 24.

There was a silence over Stull Cemetery, the sort of silence that could consume a man or drive him to madness. Sunny wasn’t sure which one Dean was feeling as they kneeled together on the spot where Sam had just vanished beneath the surface. His leather jacket was thrown across both of their shoulders as he held her against him, using her to stop him from falling to the ground and trying to dig his way through the earth after Sam. They were both quiet, the only sounds were the quiet sniffles they were both letting out.

Dean covered his eyes quickly as he seemed to crumple into Sunny’s arms, she wrapped an arm around his head trying to shield him from the world while the other rubbed soft circles into his broad shoulders. They were the last soldiers, the only survivors and now they only had each other but Sunny was trying to hold herself together for Dean’s sake, he was truly alone now, while she couldn’t see her family she knew they were alive in Arizona…Dean…Dean was the last of his bloodline, the single, stand alone Winchester.

They must have been sat for hours, neither of them speaking, neither of them moving. Darkness had fallen at some point sending a cool breeze across them, Sunny only noticed though when Dean pulled her closer, his subconscious need to keep her safe was still working.

“Dean?” Sunny’s voice broke as she spoke for the first time in what felt like days, she cleared her throat before starting again “Dean…we…I know that you don’t want to leave here but…we need to make some arrangements for Bobby” a lump formed in her throat just thinking about the man who had accepted her into his home with open arms and treated her like a member of his family without question “I can make s-some calls and, and we can…I’ll uh, I’ll drive his van back to the yard-” she cut herself off as Dean looked at her, one eyes totally closed over and the other blood shot but completely out of tears “oh sweetheart” she whispered, slowly ran her fingers over the cuts along his face “come on”

Sunny slowly got to her feet taking the leather jacket with her, she tugged it around her shoulders and held it closed over her chest with one hand. Dean didn’t move, didn’t even look at her. Sunny didn’t want to rush him, she didn’t want to pressure him into doing anything he didn’t want to do, Dean Winchester was a violent man at the best of times but push him when he’s having an emotional blackout? She didn’t even want to think about what he’d do.

He sighed heavily before resting back on his knees, he sat for a few seconds then shakily got to his feet. Sunny sat her hand lightly on his shoulder before letting it slip downwards to take a hold of his hand, she ran her thumb across his grazed knuckles as they slowly made their way towards the battered impala.

“Look at my baby” Dean muttered quietly “look what he did to you” he ran his free hand over the dents then shook his head, suddenly he tugged himself from Sunny and limped towards where Bobby’s stone, cold body lay in the grass “Bobby” he whispered “I’m so sorry”

Sunny kept her distance, fighting her heart against comforting him as he dropped onto his knees again weeping over Bobby’s body, it was the second father Dean had lost in just over five years. She tuned out his painful cries with a tune in her head, it probably seemed insensitive but she wasn’t sure how much more pain she could handle. Suddenly the of flapping wings caught her attention, she turned and gasped loudly when she found Castiel stood a small distance behind her.

At first she wasn’t sure how to react, they stared at each other for a few minutes, sadness etched across Castiel’s handsome features as confusion filled Sunny’s. In a sudden burst of energy she quickly struggled to push her arms through the leather jacket sleeves so it wouldn’t fall as she ran towards him only stopping when he didn’t seem to reflect her excitement. Sunny skidded on the dust mud as she came to a halt in front of him, his eyes ran over her, head to toe then went to her eyes again.

“Cass?” she questioned quietly, unsure if he was actually stood in front of her or if he was a fragment of her emotional state “Castiel are you really here?” her eyes began watering, her lips trembled and her entire body began to shake as he nodded “oh god” a large smile broke out on her face before she attempted to hug him, she stopped when he raised an arm to keep her at a distance “Castiel?”

He brushed past her, knocking her slightly with his shoulder as he walked swiftly towards Dean who still hadn’t noticed Castiel’s presence in the cemetery. When the angel stopped at his side Dean finally noticed and glanced upwards, Castiel pressed two fingers against the kneeling mans forehead healing him completely.

Dean began touching his face, checking that everything was in the right place and that there was no scaring but his face was exactly as it had been before the show down. Slowly he got to his feet and glanced to Sunny who was still stood, hurt over Castiel’s rejection.

“My powers have been returned” Castiel told them in the same monotone voice he’d had before his experiences with the Winchester’s, before he had fallen in love and been loved in return “I have been given a second chance” he looked to Sunny “I won’t make the same mistakes I made the first time”

Sunny let out a loud cry, she felt like her heart had been torn right out of her chest, she wasn’t sure if it’d been better for him to die loving her or to return to earth claiming she was a mistake, she leant against the impala watch him through hazy eyes as he bent over Bobby and pressed two fingers against his forehead, there was a second of nothing before Bobby sat up taking a deep gulp of air.

Quickly he began patting himself down, checking his body the way Dean had just moments early before he met the angels gaze “you have been given a second chance Bobby”. Castiel glanced around, his eyes stopping on Sunny as she silently pleaded him to rethink his choices, begging him to rebel again but he simply spread his wings and vanished from the cemetery.

&&

“Are you sure it’s safe to be driving with the windscreen in this condition?” Sunny asked quietly, she didn’t miss Dean jump at the sudden break in the silence, he didn’t reply right away then he turned the stereo down

“What?”

“I said is it safe to drive with the windscreen all smashed up?” she pushed herself into a seated position, the backseat had been her home for the past couple of hours as she lay in white noise, she’d blocked out Dean’s attempt at quiet chatter and she’d blocked out the stereo but she needed to talk now.

“Probably not but it’s late, there shouldn’t be many cars” he was quiet for a moment “thank you for not rushing me back there…I uh, I appreciate it” he cleared his throat, obviously feeling awkward as he thanked her “if you want to talk about what…uh, I mean if you need to talk about what happened today…or with Cass, I’m…I uh, I’m here”

“Thanks Dean, I hope you know that you can come to me”

They fell into silence again before Castiel suddenly appeared in the passenger seat, Sunny and Dean both let out a shout of surprise before Dean nearly drove them off the road, he swerved though and managed to keep them straight.

“What the hell is your problem? You don’t just show up when a guys driving, I could have killed us Cass!” Dean snapped angrily “what do you want?” he calmed down, his voice low and scarily casual “I thought you haul assed back to heaven, thought you were taking this second chance thing serious? You rebelled Cass, you got out and now you’re back crawling up gods ass? He abandoned you, he abandoned all of us-”

“Your father abandoned you too Dean, did you stop searching for him or believing in him?” Dean let out an angry noise before shaking his head “you should be thankful, he gave us all second chances, a chance to live our lives correctly now that Michael and Lucifer are in the cage-”

“Sam’s in there too Castiel, just because you don’t give a rats ass about your brothers doesn’t mean I don’t either, we’re different like that Cass, I care” suddenly the car swerved again and Dean pulled the car over to the side of the road, his knuckles turned white as he grasped the steering wheel tightly “you’re a dick, you’re giving up everything, this amazing life you could have had”

When Sunny let out a sigh Dean glanced to his side and found the passenger seat empty “SON OF BITCH!” he roared loudly, his fists knocking against the steering wheel one after the other. He kept his gaze on the empty side until Sunny pulled the door open and slipped inside, she close the door over behind her and buckled herself in.

Dean quickly put the car into drive again and took them out onto the road, they glanced to each other with sad, sorry expressions across both faces. With a soft sigh Sunny reached forward and turned the radio up, the breeze blowing in threw the cracks of the windscreen seemed to carry the words with it.

Carry on my wayward son, there’ll be peace when you are done.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last chapter everybody i can't believe i'm putting this in but

The End

Don't worry there's a sequel it's called

Daretohaveadoubt