Status: Complete

The Best Thing That's Ever Been Mine

Chapter 2

The next day Jon and Pat were going to NYC for 3 days to promote the new EA Sports game NHL 11. Jenn and I went to the airport with them. “Do you really have to go?” I asked Jon as he and Pat were in line to board the plane. “Yes I do, but I’ll be back in 3 days babe,” replied Jon. I gave him a kiss good bye and watched as he and Pat boarded the plane. Little did he know that I would see him tomorrow since Jenn and I were going to surprise them at the promotion event. Jenn and I left the airport to go pack for tomorrow.

We arrived in NYC at the EA Sports store where Jonathan and Patrick would be. Jenn and I were going to be cheerleaders for the trick shot competition between Jon and Pat. They had no idea that we were going to be there. We went into the bathroom to change into our outfits. When we came out the competition was just starting. “We also have a surprise for Jonathan and Patrick,” the host was saying. “Please welcome the cheerleaders for today’s event. Cheering for Patrick is his girlfriend Jenn and cheering for Jonathan is his fiancé Chelsey.” Jenn and I walked out in these short skirts and bra like tops with hockey sock leg warmers in the Blackhawk colours of the jersey’s Pat and Jon were wearing. Jon’s eyes grew wide as he saw me. I smiled at him and he looked me up and down and grinned. “How about a kiss for good luck,” the host said. I stood on my tippy toes and placed a small kiss on Jonathan’s lips as Jenn did the same to Patrick. The crowd whooped and hollered and I saw Jonathan blush a little. The competition began, they each had 5 shots. On one of Jon’s shots he threw the ball off the building and hit it out of the air. It was amazing. Sadly the goalie saved it. The shots went back and forth between Jonathan and Patrick until it was over. The judges then tallied up the scores. Jonathan won the competition. “Congrats baby!” I exclaimed as I ran up to him and gave him a hug. “Thanks,” he smiled.

Once Jonathan and Patrick were done with all the interviews we decided to explore the city. Since Pat was from New York he showed us around. After about 2 hours of touring around the city it was time to go to the airport and head back to Chicago since training camp would be starting soon and then the pre-season would start.

It was the last day of training camp before the first pre-season game in mine and Jonathan’s home town, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I was so excited to be going home, too see my family and friends. Jonathan was excited too. It would be his first real game he would play in Winnipeg since he was 15 years old. I sat in the stands beside Jenn along with thousands of fans, watching the training camp. As much as I loved watching Jonathan in practice I just wanted it to be over already so we could board the plane to Winnipeg. I waited for what seemed like hours and finally the training camp was over. The team hurried to the dressing room, got undressed and got ready to go to the airport.

We landed in Winnipeg about 3 hours later. The team was going to the hotel but Jonathan and I went to go visit mine and his families. We drove down mine and Jon’s street that we grew up on. Our parents still lived next door to each other. We pulled into Jon’s parent’s driveway and saw both of our parents standing on the front step. We got out of the car and both of our parents came towards us giving us both hugs. “It’s so good to see you again,” Jonathan’s mom Andree exclaimed. “Mom we just saw you less than a month ago,” Jonathan replied laughing. “Yes I know but we missed you both,” she replied. We went inside and sat in the family room. Jon sat on the couch and pulled me beside him and wrapped his arm around me. “So any more plans for the wedding?” my mom asked. “Not yet we’ve got the date set but we’re still working on the guest list,” I replied. We talked until it was time for Jon to go to the hotel with the team. I was staying at my parents. Jon kissed me good night and left for the hotel.

The next day was the first pre-season game against the Tampa Bay Lightning. I walked into the MTS Centre with Jonathan’s family. There was about 30 family members and friends coming to the game. I went down to the locker room while the rest of the family went up to the box suite that Jon got for his family and friends to watch the game from. I knocked on the locker room door and was greeted by Patrick Sharp. “Hey Chelsey,” he said. “Hey Pat,” I replied, “Is Jon here?” “Yeah he’s here somewhere,” Sharp replied looking around the locker room. I spotted Jon with his back turned. I walked over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around, a smile spread across his face when he saw me. “Hey”, he said embracing me in a hug. “Hey I just wanted to wish you good luck tonight,” I said. “Thanks, is everyone here?” he asked. “Yeah they’re all up in the box,” I replied. “Ok well tell them to come down after the game, I want to say goodbye before we have to leave.” Jon said. “Ok I will, well good luck,” I said standing on my tippy toes to give him a kiss. I left the locker room and went to go join Jon’s family and friends.

In the first period Jon got a tripping penalty and the whole arena, wearing mostly Toews jerseys, booed. At the end of the first the Bolts scored making it 1-0. In the second period Sharp scored, Jonathan go another penalty and again the crowd booed and then the Bolts scored again making it 2-1 going into the third. In the third the Bolts scored yet again and I could tell that Jon was getting frustrated. Next shift Jon scored making it 3-2, the whole arena erupted in screams and cheers. But then the Bolts scored yet again making the final score 4-2. Jon got the 2nd star of the game and once again the crowd cheered loudly. I knew Jon would be disappointed about losing in our home town. I waited with Jon’s family until we were told that we could go into the locker room. The doors opened and we walked in to see the players all eating pizza. “Good game Jon,” his mom and dad said giving him a hug. “Thanks, it would have been nice to win though,” Jon said. “Well you still played great,” said his grandfather. We chatted with his family for a bit and then it was time for us to head back on the plane to Chicago. Jon said goodbye to his friends and family and then we boarded the plane. I sat by the window and Jon sat beside me. “Did you have a good time?” I asked. “Yeah, did you?” Jon asked. “Yeah,” I replied resting my head on his shoulder. “I’m glad you could come,” he whispered kissing my forehead. I smiled and closed my eyes drifting asleep.

It was the day of the Hawks season home opener against Detroit. I was excited and I could see that Jonathan was too as we drove to the UC. We walked into the entrance of the UC and I went to go meet Jenn, while Jon went down to the locker room. I saw Jenn standing by Starbucks and went to go join her. “Hey Jenn,” I said. “Hey Chels, how are you?” she asked. “I’m good, really excited about tonight, what about you?” “Yeah I am too,” she replied. We walked down hall to the entrance of the rink and down to the ice level, where we saw Sharp, Seabrook, Keith, Turco, Hossa, Kopecky, Patrick and Jonathan passing a soccer ball around. “Hey Jenn, Chels come join in!” yelled Turco. Jenn and I joined the circle and Sharp passed the ball to me, I hit it with my knee and passed it to Duncan who then passed it to Jenn, who passed it to Hossa. The ball kept getting passed around till Patrick kicked it up into the stands. “I’m not getting it,” Pat said. Everyone looked around wonder who was going to go the ball. “Fine I’ll go get it,” I said running up the stairs. I got to the top and threw the ball down. I was running back down the stairs when I slipped and fell down 7 stairs. “Shit!” I said as Jon came running up the stairs. “Babe are you alright?” he asked with concern in his eyes. “Yeah I’m fine, my arm just hurts a bit,” I replied. “Here let me take a look,” Jon said as he lifted up my arm to look at it. “Well it’s not broken, you’ll be fine, but maybe I should carry you down the rest of the stairs so you don’t trip and fall yet again,” he said with a smirk. “Yeah that would probably be a good idea,” I said with a smile as he put his arms underneath me and picked me up. “Chelsey are you ok?” Jenn asked as we got back to everyone. “Yeah I’m fine.” The guys had to go get ready for the game so Jenn and I went to our seats.

The open ceremonies were starting; they were introducing the 2010 Stanley Cup champions. Everyone was out on the ice except for Jonathan. The announcer then called his name and he skated out onto the ice with the Stanley Cup. The crowd went wild. Then the current Blackhawk champions were asked to come accept the banner from the 1961 Blackhawk champions. I had tears in my eyes as the banner rose up to the rafters; remember the day that they had won the Stanley Cup. The game was close but the Hawks ended up losing 4-3. Jenn and I went down to the locker room after all the reporters left and everyone was dressed. “Good game, it was so close,” I said as I gave Jon a hug. “Thanks,” he replied. “Hey Jon, we’re still coming over right?” asked Kaner. “Yeah come over in about an hour,” Jon said as we walked out of the locker room.

We got back home and had about half an hour till the guys were coming over. Jon was looking kind of down so I grabbed his hand and lead him over to the pool table. “What are you doing?” he asked. “Let’s play a game called you make any shot, you get to do whatever you want to me,” I said with a smirk. A smile appeared on Jon’s lips, “Oh I like this game,” he said as he grabbed the pool cue and leaned over to take a shot. I leaned over his shoulder watching him. He hit the cue ball, which hit the side of the pool table and ended up going into a pocket. “You made me nervous,” he said disappointed. I pushed one of the balls into a pocket. “Oh would you look at that,” I smiled. “I knew I would like this game,” Jon smiled as he picked me up and sat me on the edge of the pool table and kissed me.

We were so busy making out that we didn’t hear the guys come in. “Jon, Chels we brought pizza and b – oh sorry are we interrupting?” Kaner said with a smirk. Jon and I quickly pulled away. “Um n-n-n-no, no you’re not,” stammered Jon, grabbing his shirt from on the pool table and pulling it over his head. “Cause we’ll leave so you two can continue.” “No, no that’s fine,” Jon said grabbing the pizzas from Patrick and heading into the kitchen. “Well that looked pretty steamy,” Jenn laughed as I hoped off the pool table, fixing my shirt. “Mmmhmm,” I smiled, heading into the kitchen and grabbing a slice of pizza. The guys were watching ‘The Ring’ and I decided to go join them. Jenn sat down beside Pat and I looked around for a seat, realizing there were none left, I went and sat on Jonathan’s lap.

I must have fallen asleep because I woke up 2 hours later curled up on the couch, seeing Jon cleaning up the pizza boxes and empty beer cans. “When did everyone leave?” I asked sleepily getting up off the couch. “About half an hour ago,” Jon replied, wrapping his arms around me, he smelt so good. “Ready to go to bed?” he asked. “Mmhum,” I mumbled into his chest as we walked into the bedroom to get ready for bed.