Regrets A Waste Of Time

Everyday People

“It’s not like I can just become a prized journalist without working for it Zack.” I explained for the thousandth time.

“Lizzy, come on, all this stuff just comes natural to you, your telling me you can’t take one weekend of to go to the party of the century?” he asked. “Not just any party but MY party! You’re my best friend in the whole world if you don’t show up I won’t be able to face the school Monday.”

This is always what happens when my lovely best friend decides to throw a party. I always get dragged into it because he can’t be seen without his “arm candy”. Yeah, I would call him arm candy to if I was trying to get him to accompany me to a newspaper staff meeting or something. Just one of the perks of being best friends with the most popular boy in school.

After getting annoyed with my silence he says “Will you go if I invite Jack?”

“Jack?” I ask, completely oblivious that we even knew a Jack.

“Don’t think I don’t see you staring off at him when we go to the skate park. I’m not retarded Elizabeth I know you like him, the way you look when he plays guitar is just obvious.”

“His name is Jack?” I asked, until now I had no idea what his name was only that his the way he carries himself is very mysterious and mysterious is what I go for. What journalist in their right mind wouldn’t look for a mystery. He has black messy hair and cute puppy eyes, he does have a pretty big nose, but I think it’s cute. I rarely ever see him skateboard but he always seems to be at the skate park when Zack and I are skating. He never seems to notice us though. You would think after seeing him so many times I would at least know his name.

“Yes, Jack Barakat, he’s the new kid, I think he hangs out that guy I know.. Rian something or another,” he said.

“Ohh, I remember him, okay, well.. that’s nice.”

“No, now we are getting off subject will you go… please?”

“Ugh, fine Zack I will go to your stupid party,” I said.

“Yes! It’s going to be so great now! Everyone from the Academy will be there” he said excitedly.

Zack’s mystery is what attracts him to most people at our school. He is so popular because no one, besides me, really knows anything at all about him. People see him working out, taking pictures, or just skateboarding and they want to know what he is thinking. His looks help him out too of coarse, but I would never think of him that way, I know way to much about him.

Bring.

My thought were interrupted by the bell for first period. As our group dispersed I noticed a boy looking intently at Zack. I think I had seen him in one or two of the school plays, I don’t really know my group sort of stays with my group. Yes, me and Zack have other friends, how else would everyone know him. It’s sort of like they are his groupies though, all thrown in and out of our group at his disposal. He is great at keeping people at the perfect distance from himself. I am the only person he really lets in, the others just think they are his friends, when really Zack could say one word and any one of our ‘friends’ could drop off the social radar for life.

“Bye Lizzy, see you in third right?” Zack said.

“Of coarse Zacky darling,” I said with a wink.

He laughed as he walked away a few people staring in awe of him as he walked to his locker. I got a few looks on the way to my own locker, jealousy from girls and guys alike. Even the guys at our school would like to be close to Zack. I don’t really know why he chose me as his one true friend but he did, way back in kindergarten. I walked through the door of my first period class just as the bell rang. I saw the boy who had been staring at Zack in my class, that’s interesting I had never seen him here before. He looks like he is nervous, I wonder what is going on in his head right now.

“Good morning class,” our teacher said as he walked through the door.

“Good morning Coach Dew,” we all said in unison. I love having history first thing in the morning, especially with Dew, he is so easy to pass!

“Alright guys when I come around I want you to grab a number out of the bag and find the person who has the same number. I hope you like the person you get with because they will be your partner in this class for the next few weeks. And before any of you ask NO you may not change partners got it?”

“Yup,” I mumbled while looking around the class to see my potential partners.

“Alright Henley stop looking around and pick a number already,” Coach said standing in front of my desk.

“Four,” I said. “Anybody got number four?”

“I do,” I heard someone say from across the room.

I looked across the room to see none other than the Zacky guy. Oh crap, he’s in my own class and I don’t even know his name, all I know is that he is in the drama club. I feel like such a jerk. Maybe he has it written on his binder or something and I can see it before I have to say his name. I got up and started walking towards his side of the room while everyone was getting situated.

“Bye David, see you after class I guess,” I heard someone say to my new partner.

Yay! David! I now know his name, but what if he doesn’t know mine.

“Hi,” he said sweetly as I turned my desk to face his.

“Hello David,” I said flashing a huge smile at him.

A tiny grin spread across his features as Coach droned on about what our project would be on. I am very glad to see David taking notes on this cause I have no idea what he is talking about!

“Alright guys the bell is going to ring soon so don’t forget who you are partners with and get ready to do some research for your projects tomorrow,” Dew said just as the bell rang.

“See you tomorrow David,” I said.

“Um, yeah, you too Elizabeth,” he said shyly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys like this new story that I am co-writting with my sister, Taylor Lee :)

Please Read and Review, if enough people like it, we already have sequel ideas later on :)