Cosmic Love

Family

“Sorry, about him, Stefan,” I said entering the room.

“Why are you apologizing?” asked Stefan.

“Not sure,” I admitted. I walked over to Damon’s stash of liquor and poured myself a drink.

“Wasn’t the human you had yesterday enough?” asked Stefan with obvious distaste. I sighed and set the glass down.

“Stefan, it was just one guy,” I said not wanting to argue about it.

“Just one guy?” said Stefan obviously getting upset. “He was living breathing person. You had no right to end his life.”

“Didn’t I?” I asked. I brought my glass to my lips and took a drink. “I am a vampire,” I said setting the glass down. “It’s what I do. It’s what I was made to do.” I fixed him with an emotionless stare. I saw him flinch underneath it.

“Emma,” he said his voice suddenly quiet and sympathetic. “You don’t have to feed off people. You can feed off animals. I do it and I’m sure you could too.”

“I can’t, Stefan,” I said. “I― I’m just not strong enough,” I said avoiding the real reason. I picked up my glass and swirled the contents around absentmindedly.

“You haven’t even tried,” argued Stefan.

“And I don’t want to!” I said angrily. I slammed the glass down and then ran out of the room in a blur of movement.

I left the house soon after. I didn’t want to be there anymore with Stefan and I arguing. I always had a soft spot for him and it saddened me to see him upset. My feet carried me to the town square. There was a flurry of activity there already.

I walked through the crowds looking at everyone and wishing I could partake in their cheerfulness. I was a bit down. Maybe Stefan was right. I shouldn’t just be able to end one man’s life just because I was able.

Suddenly a girl bumped into me. She was wearing a strapless yellow dress and a grey shrug. Her hair was blonde, long, and slightly curled. “Oh, I’m sorry,” she apologized quickly.

“Don’t worry about it,” I assured her. I moved to keep walking but the girl made me pause.

“Are you new here?” she asked.

“Yeah,” I admitted after thinking about it for a second.

“Have you heard about the comet tonight? You should come out to the square. Everyone is.” She was really overly cheerful. It kind of got on my nerves. But something to do tonight rather than sulk at the Salvatore’s house sounded pretty tempting.

“I think I might go,” I said giving her a smile.

“Great!” she said and then flounced off to wherever.

Everyone was making me feel sadder with their being cheerful. It sucks when you can’t partake in it. What I really need was a drink. I quickly made my way to the Mystic Grill that didn’t lie far from the square.

Walking in I sat down at the bar and ordered a drink. This guy didn’t question if I was old enough. He seemed like he could care less. As I sat there nursing my drink I couldn’t help but overhear the conversation two people were having.

It was a guy and a girl. The girl had a light brown hair that was also long and curled. The guy had short hair and was wearing dark clothes. I was instantly able to label him as a druggie. And by the way he pulled the bottle of pills out of his jacket and handed them to the girl I would say my guess is not far off.

“Knock yourself out, literally,” he said smiling at the girl. I could tell instantly that he liked her. The love on his face was easily able to be read.

“Thanks, Jer,” she said giving him a flirty look before taking a couple pills.

“So, are you going to watch the comet later?” asked Jeremy.

“Hadn’t thought about it,” admitted the girl looking thoughtful. “But I could be talked into it,” she said flirtatiously. “I’ll meet you out there in a few,” she said.

“Hey, Vick,” said another guy coming up. He was definitely hot. Not going to lie. I would not mind biting that. “How you feeling?” he asked.

“Like you care,” she said and then walked off. I saw Jeremy laugh and a smirk was placed on his face.

“What are you looking at, Gilbert?” said the guy before he walked out of the bar. Another Gilbert? Who knows I had that much family. I sure didn’t and I was beginning to like it.

Against my better judgment I got up from my place at the bar and walked over to the boy. “Jeremy,” I said as I approached. He looked up startled that I was talking to him. I was but a stranger after all. “My name’s Emma.” I held out my hand for him to shake.

“Uh, hi Emma,” he said and tentatively took my hand. “Are you new here?” he asked studying me.

“Yeah, I just came into town a few days ago.” Suddenly Stefan entered the bar. One look at me talking to Jeremy and that ever present frown of his deepened. “It was nice meeting to you but I have to go,” I said flashing him a smile and then walking over to Stefan. I could feel his bewildered stare on my back.

“Hello, Stefan,” I said cheerily.

“What are you doing?” he asked looking at me scornfully. “It’s not a good idea to make friends with humans.”

“But his last name is Gilbert,” I said glancing back at him. “He’s family.”

“He doesn’t need family like you,” said Stefan. I raised my eyebrows in surprise at his combative attitude.

“Ouch,” I said and then brushed past him and out into the streets.