Cosmic Love

Brothers

I woke up during the day to the sound of Elena’s voice. “Stefan,” she called into the house. I could tell from my room that she had just entered the front door. She walked forward a few steps more into the house and called his name again.

I debated going down and talking to her or not. No one knew I was staying here and it would be tough to explain why I was. Downstairs I could hear the sound of her breathing and her heartbeat. I then heard the cawing of a crow and her gasp. I’m guessing Damon found her.

“I―I’m sorry for barging in. The door was…open,” said Elena.

“You must be Elena,” remarked Damon in a rare almost kind voice. It was one he used to charm people. I could tell and recognize it instantly. I used it often myself. “I’m Damon, Stefan’s brother.”

“He didn’t tell me he had a brother,” said Elena sounding confused.

“Well, Stefan’s not one to brag. Please come,” he said and I heard their footsteps travel into the front room. “I’m sure Stefan will be along in a second.”

“Wow, this is your living room?” said Elena in awe.

“Well, living room, parlor, seventies auction. It’s a little kitschy for my taste.” There was a pause. “I see why my brother’s so smitten,” remarked Damon. Oh, god, I thought. “It’s about time. For awhile there I thought he’d never get over the last one. Nearly destroyed him.”

“The last one?” wondered Elena.

“Yeah, Katherine. His girlfriend,” said Damon pretending to be puzzled. “Oh, you two haven’t had the awkward exes conversation yet,” observed Damon.

“Nope,” said Elena awkwardly.

“Oops,” said Damon. “Well, I’m sure it’ll come up now. Or maybe he didn’t want tell you because he didn’t want you to think he was on the rebound. We all know how those relationships end.”

“You say it like every relationship is doomed to end,” said Elena sounding a bit frustrated with Damon. I heard Stefan enter the house.

“I’m a fatalist,” said Damon. “Hello, Stefan,” said Damon. I finally got out of my bed and started padding my way downstairs. This was probably not going to end well.

“Elena,” said Stefan obviously ignoring Damon. I could hear the unhappiness in his voice. “I didn’t know you were coming over.” I walked down the stairs and saw the tense form of Stefan in the archway to the living room. I stayed frozen on the stair case hidden in the shadows.

“I know. I should’ve called. It’s just―”

“Oh, don’t be silly,” said Damon interrupting her. “You’re welcome anytime. Isn’t she, Stefan?” asked Damon. I could hear the taunting tone in his voice. He was daring Stefan to say something. Stefan simply stared at Damon. “You know I should break out the family photo albums,” said Damon. “Or some home movies. But, I have to warn you. He wasn’t always such a looker.”

“Thank you for stopping by, Elena,” said Stefan dismissively. “It was nice to see you.”

“Yeah, I should probably go,” said Elena after an awkward pause. “It was nice to meet you, Damon.”

“Great meeting you too, Elena.” I heard the sound of his lips on her hand and rolled my eyes. Always trying to charm someone.

Elena turned to go and walked up to the stairs. She reached them but Stefan wouldn’t move. He was intently glaring at Damon. “Stefan?” said Elena. “Stefan?” she said again trying to get his attention. He finally moved aside for her but kept staring at Damon. I was surprised he didn’t attack him already the tension was so thick. She walked out the door and Stefan continued staring at Damon. Damon whistled as she left.

“Great gal,” he commented. “She’s got…spunk. You on the other hand, look pooped. Did you over exert yourself today? Let me guess, hospital.” I could hear the smile in his voice.

“Someone had to clean up your mess,” said Stefan sounding tired.

“Well, were you successful? Did the powers of persuasion work? Remember if you don’t feed properly none of those little tricks work right.”

“How long was Elena here?” asked Stefan ignoring Damon’s jabs.

“Are you worried, Stefan?” asked Damon. “Scared we may be doomed to repeat the past?” Jesus, Damon would not let anything go. “Isn’t that why you play your game I’m-a-High-School-Human?”

“I’m not playing any game.”

“Of course you are. We both know the closest you’ll ever get to humanity is when you rip it open and feed on it.”

“What kind of game are you playing, Damon?” asked Stefan.

“Guess you’ll just have to wait and see won’t you?” He then walked out of the room leaving both Stefan and I wondering.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Emma wasn't really involved in this chapter. You might see that a lot. She's more likely just going to sit back and watch.