Cosmic Love

Blackmail

“Emma, I’m sorry,” said Stefan coming out after me.

“Listen, Stefan,” I said whirling around. “You have family whether you want it or not. You have a home to go to. I don’t have any of that.”

“I realize that, Emma. But they’re human. It’s dangerous for us to get mixed up with them. They could get hurt.”

“They’ll get hurt anyways, Stefan. I’m not going to damn my family.” With that I turned and walked away. I know that was a low blow. I know it probably hurt him. But that was the point.

I walked back to the Salvatore home and entered through the door. I went up to my room and closed the door. Sighing I grabbed one of my books and began reading.

It was some time later that Stefan came to knock on my door. Setting down the book I realized that it was already dark outside. “Come in,” I called and he entered looking sheepish.

“Emma, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the event at the town square. It’s to watch the comet.” I could tell he was trying to make it up to me. He didn’t really have to. But I could tell that if I didn’t, he’d mope around and keep trying to.

“Of course, Stefan. Meet you down in a couple minutes?” He nodded and then left. I went to the mirror, touching up my makeup and hair, before grabbing a jacket and heading down. “Ready?” I asked skipping up to Stefan and looping my arm through his.

“Ready,” he said smiling down at me fondly. We headed to town in my car since Stefan didn’t have one at his disposal. “So what brought you to Mystic Falls?” asked Stefan.

“The history of it,” I said smiling. It was true and funny since I was a part of that history. “Now you must tell me, Stefan. Do you want to repeat that past?”

“What?” asked Stefan, his frown deepening.

“You fall in love with Elena, a girl that is identical to Katherine. At least as far as looks go. Let’s hope she’s not the same on the inside. Someone never got over her.”

“I did,” insisted Stefan. “I admit that her looks are what drew me to her in the first place but she is nothing like Katherine. Of that I’m sure.”

“Suit yourself,” I said shrugging. “But if you end up hurt, I won’t say, ‘I told you so.’”

“You still didn’t tell me why you came to Mystic Falls,” pointed out Stefan.

“All will be revealed in time,” I said mysteriously. “After 145 years I hope you’d learn to be patient, dear Stefan. Oh look we’re here,” I said excitedly. I slowed the car down as we approached the square. Parking the car I got out and waited for Stefan.

As we walked through the square we received a candle. I could tell Stefan was looking for Elena in the crowd. Once he spotted her he walked towards her and I stayed behind. I didn’t want to intrude on their romantic moment.

Instead I looked up at the night sky and spotted the comet. It was distinct against the sky and shone beautifully. For an instant I was transported back to the night when Anna had killed me. The comet had shined then too. I had noticed it as I stood on the hill.

Shaking off the memory I was slightly startled when Stefan appeared by my side. “Hey,” I said quickly calming my nerves. “I thought you two were going to be all lovey dovey and ignore everyone else?” Stefan just rolled his eyes. He put his candle to mine so that the flame caught.

“For your information she says she’s not in a position for a relationship. And I have to respect that.”

“Well, the way I see it, you two are already madly in love. It’s only a matter of time now.” I turned and walked away to mingle with people. I’d leave brooding Stefan to brood by himself. I didn’t need any other problems.

*****************************************************************************

Later in the night when most of the people had left for the night I went and found Stefan again. “Well, this was a waste of time,” I said forcing a yawn.

“The comet is a very important part of Mystic Falls history,” said Stefan.

“Yeah, whatever. Nothing good about it to me. I say we head on home. It’s dangerous to be out after dark,” I said whispering the last part. Stefan was instantly on alert.

“Why’s that?” he asked. Glancing around as if to make sure no one heard I leaned in closely to his ear.

“There are vampires,” I whispered. Stefan laughed and smiled. I was glad that I could at least make him happy when everything else didn’t. “Come on,” I said linking my arm to Stefan. I began to walk towards the car when suddenly Matt showed up. He cast a curious glance at me but then turned to Stefan.

“Hey, have you seen my sister?” he asked.

“No, sorry,” said Stefan instantly concerned. I don’t get why he cared so much about these people.

“I can’t find her, she’s missing.” Thank you for the clarification.

“I’ll keep an eye out for her,” promised Stefan. Stefan and I began to walk again before Matt spoke up and stopped us again.

“Hey, I saw you at the hospital the other day,” he said, addressing Stefan.

“Did you?” said Stefan. I could feel him tense up even though his face was calm.

“What were you doing there?” asked Matt. Oh, just you know. Compelling your sister to forget that a vampire attacked her. No biggie.

“Visiting,” said Stefan. Not a lie, but not really the truth either.

“Visiting?” questioned Matt suspiciously. For someone so concerned about his sister, he was sure wasting a lot of time. Stefan chose not to walk into that one. So Matt started talking again. “You know, Elena and I have known each other a long time. And we might not be together right now, but I look out for her. And I’ll always look out for her.” Thank you Matt I said resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

It was then that I heard the sounds of a struggle. The predator in me was tuned into those things. I could catch the sound of Vickie’s voice pleading for someone to stop. Next I heard Damon’s soothing words. The way Stefan tilted his head I could tell he heard it too.

“Excuse me,” said Stefan beginning to walk towards the noise.

“Bye,” I said cheerily, in a large contrast to Stefan’s seriousness. Matt stood there looking puzzled. “You heard them,” I stated. “What are we going to do?”

“We aren’t going to do anything. He’s my brother. I’ll handle this.” He shook off my arm and walked faster towards them. It was then that I could see them on the roof of a building, right along the edge. Damon was teasing her that he was going to drop her and she was freaking out. It was Matt’s sister, Vickie.

Stefan, using his vampire speed and agility, moved onto the roof. I stayed on the ground and was content with just watching this unfold. And to think that these two boys used to be like best friends. “Not bad,” I heard Damon speak. Vampire hearing comes in handy. “Have you been eating bunnies?”

“Let her go,” said Stefan, not willing to play games. I don’t think he understood the fun of them.

“Really? Okay.” Damon pulled her backwards. Both Vickie and Stefan immediately said no like ten times. But instead of throwing her backwards, Damon threw her into Stefan’s arms. “Relax,” he said moving away from the edge.

“What’s happening?” I heard Vickie ask even though I couldn’t see her.

“I don’t need her to be dead,” said Damon, his back to me. “But you might. What attacked you the other night?” he asked looking down to where I presumed Vickie was.

“I don’t know, an animal,” she said.

“Are you sure about that?” asked Damon bending down to be eye level with her. “Think about it. Think really hard.” He talked to her like someone would a little kid. “What attacked you?” he prompted again.

“Vampire,” she said.

“Who did this to you?” Damon asked again.

“You did,” she shouted at him.

“Wrong. Stefan,” said Damon.

“Don’t,” said Stefan. Damon stood Vickie up so I could see her again and pulled her away from Stefan. He moved her so that he looked directly into her eyes and even from here I could tell he was compelling her.

“Stefan Salvatore did this to you,” he said. Vickie repeated it letting him know that the compulsion had worked. “He’s a vampire. A vicious, murderous, monster.”

“Please, don’t. Please, Damon, don’t do this,” said Stefan.

“Couldn’t fix it before. I don’t know what you’re going to do now,” taunted Damon. Damon ripped the bandage off of Vickie’s neck and thrust her towards Stefan. “Your choice of lifestyle has made you weak,” said Damon. “Couple of vampire parlor tricks? Is nothing compared to the power that you could have. That you now need.”

Stefan obviously struggled with resisting the temptation. “But you can change that,” continued Damon. “Human blood gives you that.” Stefan threw Vickie to the ground away from him.

“You have two choices. You can feed and make her forget. Or you can let her run screaming ‘vampire’ through the town square.”

“That’s what this is about? You want to expose me?”

“No,” said Damon frustrated. “I want you to remember who you are.”

“Why?” said Stefan back. “So what? So I’ll feed? So I’ll kill? So I’ll remember what it’s like to be brothers again? You know what? Let her go. Let her tell everyone that vampires have returned to Mystic Falls. Let them chain me up and let them drive a stake through my heart. Because at least I’ll be free of you.”

In a blur of motion I appeared on the roof. I sat on the edge of the wall, with my feet touching the roof. Slowly I clapped my hands getting both brothers’ attention. “Very noble speech, Stef. But you see, I can’t have her running through the town screaming ‘vampire.’”

“Emma,” said Damon delightedly. “Would you like to do the honors?” he asked gesturing towards the girl who was sobbing and laying on the ground. Gracefully moving towards her I knelt down and picked her up.

Whispering in her ear I made sure she forgot about vampires and thought an animal attacked her in the woods. I also made sure she didn’t remember anything of what just happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry that it's taking me so long to post anything. I feel terrible :(