Status: In-Progress, updating as much as I can.

Laugh with the Sinners;Cry with the Saints

Chapter One

“I hate you both,” I stated as I turned to look out the train window at the scenery that whizzed by. I began to feel nauseous as I watched the trees speed by, but I refused to look away. I refused to look at the other two other occupants of the compartment I was currently sitting in.

“Pft, Elsie, you always say that.” I heard Jamie laugh. Out of the corner of my eye I could see her pull her long brown hair up in a ponytail. “After years of hearing that, forgive me, but I don’t believe you—not for one second.” I didn’t answer; instead I crossed my arms across my chest and gave a small ‘hmph’.

“Do you suppose that means she’s not talking to us?” Trent whispered; none too softly, mind you. Trent had always been a horrible whisperer, but he’s Trent—he’s oblivious, so it’s to be expected.

“God, I hope so.”

“That was mean, Jamie. Why must you be so mean?” Damn! I was never good at the silent treatment, probably because I couldn’t shut up for more than two minutes at a time. I was pathetic when it came to things like grudges, and, well, I just like to talk; what can I say? I’m outgoing.

I turned to face the two idiots I called my ‘friends’. Trent was still laughing… I still hated him—Jamie , too. When I voiced my hate once again, Jamie only rolled her eyes, and Trent asked,

“It’s not like we did something horrible, so what’s the big deal?”

“Oh no, you did nothing horrible!” I screeched sarcastically, “You only insulted my socks!”

“Well…They’re ugly,” Jamie shrugged.

“These socks,” I paused to pull up both legs of my jeans to reveal my socks. One of which was bright green, and the other which was blue and grey striped. “Are not ugly.”

“They don’t even match, Ellie.” The boy across from me pointed out, using the nickname he had given me five years ago (the one he knew I hated), back in first year.

“They’re my favorites…I wanted to wear them both.” I explained, letting my jean legs fall back into place.

“Or you just lost the matches to both of them, and those were the only ones you had to wear.” I glared at Jamie before sighing.

“Yeah, well there’s that, too.” I scowled. They were laughing at me again. “I still hate the both of you.”

--

“Here’s your pumpkin pasty, you ungrateful lard monkey.” I tossed the pastry at Trent as the food cart proceeded to the next compartment. He looked at me quizzically before taking a rather large bite of the food in his hands.

“Lard monkey?” He asked through a mouthful of pumpkin pasty. I nodded, as I took a bite of my own. “What’s that supposed to mean?” He asked.

“Well, we all know that the only reason you even hang around me is for the fact that I buy you food, because you always “forget” your money.” I explained. He didn’t look offended—not that I expected he would, it takes a lot to get Trent worked up—instead he shrugged.

“And the monkey part?”

“You like to climb trees.” Jamie piped up from behind the book she had been reading.

“That’s true…I do like to climb trees. That makes sense.”

“You’re an idiot.” I laughed while biting into my own pumpkin pasty. “I can’t wait to start
classes.”

“And I’m the idiot? Trent laughed. “At least I’m not the one looking forward to classes.” I threw the rest of my pumpkin pasty across the compartment, succeeding in hitting Trent’s shoulder. I immediately regretted my action as I looked down at my empty hands, frowning.

“Throw that back, would you?” I watched as he picked it up…and licked it. “Nevermind.” I sighed as I pulled a licorice wand from the pile of treats Jamie and I had bought. I frowned as I took a bite; I’d never liked licorice wands.

“Speaking of classes,” Jamie closed her book and glanced at the watch around her wrist, “We should nearly be at Hogwarts by now. We need to get changed.” We all rose from our seats and began to get our robes out. As I skipped out of the compartment, my robes draped over my arm, I turned around to face Jamie and Trent, telling them,

“I’m keeping the socks on!” And then I was gone.

--

“I can’t believe you actually left those on.” Jamie glanced down at my socks as the carriage jolted forward, carrying us towards the castle.

“I don’t see why you’re making such a big deal over it. It’s not like you have to wear them.” I told her with a sigh.

“Yeah, but we have to be seen with you.” Trent laughed. I scowled at him. I knew they weren’t really embarrassed to be around me.

“No you don’t,” I shook my head, “you two can go on your merry way anytime you please.”

“Pft. You’d be lost without us.” Jamie laughed.

“I think that’s the other way around. You two wouldn’t know what to do with yourselves if I weren’t around.” I smiled.

“We’d go about our lives and, finally, at a ripe old age, die happy.” Trent laughed. I punched his arm as we clamored off the carriages that had arrived in front of the castle.

“If you were wondering, the whole thing about me hating you two hasn’t changed.”

“That means we’re one step closer to getting rid of her.” I glared at Trent as I continued to walk.

That was when someone roughly ran into me; I caught myself quickly and looked around. Immediately I caught sight of Draco Malfoy. His cold grey eyes were harsh and spiteful, and that smirk was plastered on his face. Everyone knew that smirk, he always wore it. It suited his cruel demeanor perfectly.

“Watch where you’re going, Bartley,” he snarled before turning on his heel and stalking away.

I ran my hand through my hair with a sigh. He always seemed to upset me. There was no doubt in my mind that he hated me. I knew it wasn’t because of me personally, but I did know why he hated me. It was because of Trent; it was because Trent wasn’t pureblood like me and Jamie. He hated us for the fact that Trent was our friend.

“Are you okay?” Trent asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Don’t let him upset you.” Jamie told me. “That’s all he wants is to upset you.”

“He doesn’t upset me.” I explained as we entered the Great Hall and made our way to the Ravenclaw table. “He just infuriates me sometimes…” I sat down heavily. “That’s the same thing, isn’t it?” I asked defeated.

“Pretty much,” Trent nodded as he and Jamie took seats on either side of me. I groaned.

“He doesn’t bother me, Elsie,” Trent comforted me, “so don’t let him bother you.” I nodded sullenly.

“Yeah, you’re right.” I smiled. “I hope Dumbledore’s speech is quick. I’m starved seeing as Trent ruined my pumpkin pasty then ate it.” To my left I saw Trent stick his tongue out at me, but I ignored him.

“They usually are.” Jamie pointed out.

--

Jamie had been right, Dumbledore’s speech was short. It was the sorting that took so long. I almost squealed with delight when the food appeared before us. I was so engrossed with eating, that I wouldn’t have noticed that Harry Potter walked into the Great Hall with a bloody nose had Jamie and Trent not pointed it out.

“I wonder what’s wrong with Dumbledore’s hand.” Trent said as we ate. I remembered seeing his blackened hand when he stood to make his speech, I wasn’t sure what happened when I first saw it, and I still wasn’t sure.

“I dunno.” I shrugged. “Maybe a spell got away from him or his wand backfired. I really want to know why Harry walked in with a bloody nose. Has anyone noticed that he always seems to be hurt when he comes in here?”

“He was probably just fighting off another basilisk, or a few dementors.” Trent shrugged. “You know, you should probably close your mouth, your infatuation with The Boy Who Lived is becoming a bit noticeable.” I quickly closed my mouth, and turned to Trent.

“Trenton Hector DuChamp, I do not have an infatuation with Harry Potter.” I whispered harshly.

“No,” he drawled, “it’s not like you talked about him in every letter you sent us over the summer. 'Oh, I wonder how Harry is, especially after what happened at the Ministry. It must be so hard for him, blah, blah, blah'.” He mimicked me, and I didn’t argue, I knew it was true; I had been in love with Harry Potter since First Year. Instead I sent Trent a glare, as I dug my fork into the food on my plate.

“I don’t think so.” Jamie said, still looking at Dumbledore, it was clear that she hadn’t heard a word that we had said, “It’s Dumbledore, a spell wouldn’t get away from him like that. You don’t think he’s sick, do you, Dumbledore that is?” Jamie sounded worried.

“I think you worry too much, Jamie.”

When the food was cleared, and we were dismissed, I thoroughly believed that I wouldn’t be able to make it to the Ravenclaw tower, but with Jamie and Trent’s constant pushing and nagging, we finally made it into the Common Room. After eating, my eyelids were growing heavier by the second.

I went straight for the dormitories, muttering something that sounded like ‘night guys’. I stumbled my way through the girl’s dorm to find my four poster bed. When I finally did find it, I fell face first into the pillow and drifted to sleep without bothering change into my pajamas.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did you know it's bad luck to wear matching socks? Yep. =D