‹ Prequel: Secrets Will Kill You
Sequel: Killing Me Slowly

Secrets Will Kill You The Sequel

Just A Normal Day... Part 3

“Wait, I hear something…” Melissa said, gripping onto Dean’s arm. “Someone’s coming” she hissed as they were behind a giant shelf but before Brittney and Sam could hide as well, a guard walked in.

“What the hell are you doing here?"

“Nothing. We just…” Sam stammered.

“Come with me” he ordered and grabbed them both by the arm and pulled them out, shutting the door.

“Ya know, seeing you get all excited to look into this ghost thing was definitely a turn on” Dean said to Melissa. She just rolled her eyes at him and continued looking around.

“Man, listen. Look. It's okay. We work here” Brit said.

“Whatever. Tell it to the cops”

They got to the elevator and went down some floors but then it stopped, all of a sudden. The guard used his key to open the doors and he pried them open, seeing they were stuck in between two floors.

“Well, come on. Last time this happened, it took them two hours to get here”

But, Sam stuck out an arm in front of Brittney, she wasn’t going to go with the guard but he wanted to make sure.

“Lets just wait” he said. “Yea, seriously, we’ll wait” Brittney added.

Then, they stepped back as the guard climbed out onto the floor. He bent down and leaned back into the elevator. “Look, I don't have the rest of my life here”

But, then the elevator jerked downward, suddenly, decapitating the guard and blood spurred all over Brittney and Sam as their eyes widened, staring in shock. Dean’s voice came through Sam’s phone.

“Hey. You two okay?”

“Call you back” Sam said slowly and they both just stood still, shaking slightly from the blood covering them.

The two of them got to the cubical farm and got towels from the break room to get the blood off their faces. “Hey, maybe after this whole thing…would you want to get lunch sometime?” he asked.

She laughed under her breath. “Yea, I’d really like that” she nodded and he grinned. “Lets just get passed this night first though” she added and he nodded.

They got in touch with Melissa and Dean and they told Brittney and Sam to meet them on the 22nd floor…and Brittney and Sam told them to take the stairs. They met in the lobby of the 22nd floor and Dean and Melissa were looking at the Sandover History display. They turned to see Brittney and Sam walking to them.

“Whoa. That's a lot of blood” Dean commented. “Yeah, I know” Sam replied.

“Right. So, uh, in there. P. T. Sandover's gloves” Melissa said, pointing to the gloves in a small display case. “Yeah, how much you wanna bet there's a little smidge of DNA in there? You know, like a fingernail clipping or a hair or two? Something” Dean suggested.

“So, you ready?” Brittney asked all of them. “I have no idea” Dean said. “Couldn’t tell you” Melissa shrugged. “Me either” Sam said. “Good…me either” she sighed.

They all took a fire poker into their hands and Sam took the container of salt. “Go for it” Melissa said to Dean. He nodded and then smashed the glass. They were all nervous about doing this. Who knew they would end up here tonight?

But, then Sandover appeared behind Dean and he flung him into the wall. Melissa, Brittney and Sam all spun to face him as his hands started to spark. Brittney grabbed the salt from Sam quickly and flung some salt out at Sandover and he dissipates. Dean stood.

“Oh…nice”

“Dean!” Sam yelled as he threw Dean a fire poker. He caught with ease and swung it at Sandover who was behind him. He dissipated again.

“Nice catch”

“Right?” Dean grinned.

Then, Melissa pushed Brittney to the side slightly and swung at Sandover so he dissipated for a third time. Then, he appeared again. “Duck!” Dean grunted and Melissa and Brittney ducked as Sam and Dean swung their fire pokers simultaneously and he vanished once again.

Then, the four of them were unexpectedly thrown in different directions and when Melissa looked up, she saw Sandover was stalking toward Dean with his hands sparking with electricity. She shot up, running to the gloves.

“Brittney!” she yelled and threw them to her. “Sam!” Brittney called and threw them to Sam and Sam grabbed his lighter and they caught fire quickly.

Sandover burned to nothing as Sam dropped the burning gloves and Melissa rushed to help Dean up. “That was amazing” Sam commented. “Right?” Dean replied, feeling the adrenalin. Melissa and Brittney just smiled at each other and stayed silent. They could all feel the adrenalin.

~~~

They all got to Dean’s office and Melissa got out the first aid kit that Dean kept in a cabinet. “Man, I gotta tell you, I've never had so much fun in my life”

“Me neither” Sam agreed. Brittney and Melissa just smiled.

“Was a hell of a workout too, wasn't it?”

“We should keep doing this”

“I know”

Melissa took out some gauze pads and handed some to Brittney so she could fix up Sam while Melissa fixed up Dean. “I mean it. There gotta be other ghosts out there”

“We could help a lot of people” Brittney added.

We'd be like the Ghostfacers, plus two”

“No, really. I mean, for real” Sam said. “Like, quit our jobs and hit the road?” Melissa questioned.

“Exactly”

“How would we live?” Dean asked.

“Uh…”

“You gotta be kidding me. How would we get by? With stolen credit cards? Huh? Eating diner food drenched in saturated fats? Sharing a crap motel every night?”

“That's all just details” Brittney shrugged, keeping a calm, even tone. “Details are everything though” Melissa said, keeping the same tone.

It was Dean and Sam who showed more emotion in their tones. “You don't wanna go fighting ghosts without any health insurance” Dean added.

“All right. Um. Confession. Remember those dreams I told you about with the ghosts?”

“Yeah?”

“I was fighting them…with you. The three of you. We were these, like, hunters, and we were friends. More like brothers, really…you and Brittney were like best friends…practically sisters”

“I’ve been having the same dreams…and we were really close to the guys…what if it’s who we really are?” Brittney added.

“Yea, you saw us back there, working together. The ghost was scrambling brains. What if it scrambled ours?”

“That's insane” Dean said.

“Is it? Think about it for just one second. What if we think this is our life, but it's not?”

“The ghost is dead and we're still standing” Melissa noted.

“I mean, I'm sorry, but…”

“Look, all I know is this isn't who we're supposed to be” Sam said.

“No. I'm Dean Smith, okay? Director of Sales and Marketing. I went to Stanford. My father's name is Bob, my mother's name is Ellen, and my sister's name is Jo”

“When was the last time you talked to them? To any of them?”

“Okay, you're upset. You're upset, confused…”

“Yeah, 'cause I only moved here 'cause I just broke up with my fiancée, Madison. But I called her number and I got a damn animal hospital”

“So, what are you saying Sam? That our families aren’t real? That we've been injected with fake memories?” Melissa questioned, narrowing her eyes.

“Look, it’s just a gut feeling and I know that you feel it too Mel, deep down…we’re all supposed to be something else” Brittney said, gently. “You're not just some corporate douche bag, Dean. This isn't you. I know you” Sam said.

“Know me? You don't know me, pal. You should go” Dean suggested. “You both should” Melissa nodded at Brittney.

They didn’t argue though, Brittney and Sam looked at Melissa and Dean for a moment and then left. Dean and Melissa exchanged a look and then sighed as she wrapped her arms around his waist and he held her tight.

The next day while Sam was in his cubicle filling out a form on his clipboard, the phone started ringing. He stared at it. The printer was spitting out paper. The fax machine was sucking in paper. The automatic pencil sharpener was in use. It was like all the noise was getting to Sam’s head because then he took off the headset and stood up. He picked up the fire poker he brought with him and started to beat the phone to death. The room fell silent as everyone was watching him. He finally stopped killing the phone and looked up to see Brittney was one of the people watching him. But, she started to smile.

“I quit” was all he said and smiled at her.

Melissa was in Dean’s office with him but they weren’t talking. They were just silent with so many thoughts going through their head. Their was a knock on the door and they turned to see Alder standing there. “Got a minute?” he asked.

“Sure, of course” Dean said. “I’ll give you some privacy” Melissa said and went to walk out.

“No, no, you can stay too. This involves you too” he said and shut the door. “Dean, Melissa, how are you feeling?”

“Uh, great” Dean said. “Yea…just…peachy” she said slowly.

“You look a little tired. Been working hard, I gather” They didn’t respond. They just shrugged. “Ah, don't be modest. I hear everything. And I'm pleased with what I'm hearing”

Dean and Melissa sat on one side of Dean’s desk as Alder sat on the other side. “That's why it's important to me that you're happy. How's that for a bonus?” he wrote on a piece of paper and slid it over to Dean and Melissa.

“That's very generous” Melissa commented.

“Purely selfish. Wanna make sure neither of you are going anywhere”

“Wow. Are you sure?” Dean asked.

“Positive. You are Sandover material, son. Real go-getter. Carving your own way with your first lady at your side”

Melissa just smiled politely at him. “Well, thanks. I try”

“I see big things in your future. Maybe even senior VP, Eastern Great Lakes Division. Don't get me wrong, you'll have to work for it. Seven days a week, lunch at your desk, but in eight to ten short years, that could be you”

“Well, uh, thank you. Thank you, sir. It's, um...but…”

"We’re giving our notice” Melissa helped him say it as she pushed the paper back to him.

“This is a joke. You're kidding me, right?”

“No. We’re not"

“Recently…very recently…we realized that we have some other work we have to do. It's, uh, very important to us”

“Other work? Another company?”

“No…it’s just hard to explain…” Melissa said.

“This isn’t who we’re supposed to be” Dean added. Alder started to grin. “What?” Dean asked. “Dean and Melissa...finally” he said and then pressed two fingers to Melissa and Dean’s forehead.

My POV

All of a sudden, I found myself in an office, standing next to Dean who was in a suit and I was wearing a skirt…and then I felt a pain in my stomach. “The hell? Why am I wearing a tie? My God, am I hungry” Dean said. “You and me both” I grunted.

Then, this bald guy in a suit that was standing in front of us started to laugh. “Welcome back” he said.

“Wait. Did I...did we just get touched by…” Dean started. “You're an angel, aren't you” Melissa assumed.

“I'm Zachariah” he greeted.

“Oh, great. That's all we need is another one of you guys”

“I'm hardly another one, Melissa. I'm Castiel's superior. Believe me, I had no interest in popping down here into one of these smelly things” he gestured to the poor bastard that he was using as a host. “But after the unfortunate situation with Uriel, I felt it necessary to pay a visit. Get my ducks in a row”

“We are not one of your ducks” Dean said, firmly.

“Starting with your attitude”

“Oh, so, what? This was all some sort of a lesson? Is that what you're telling me? Wow. Very creative”

“You should see my decoupage”

Dean and I stayed silent, making faces. “Gross” I commented. “No thank you” Dean added.

"What is this? We’re just hallucinating all of this?” I asked.

“Not at all. Real place, real haunting. Just plunked you in the middle without the benefit of your memories”

“Just to shake things up? Hm? So you guys can have fun watching us run around like ass clowns in monkey suits?” Dean quipped.

“To prove to you that the path you're on is truly in your blood. You're a hunter. Not because your dad made you” Then, he snapped his head at me. “Not because your father is a legend”

He snapped his head back at Dean. “Not because God called you back from Hell, but because it is what you both are. And you love it. You find your way to it in the dark every single time and you're miserable without it. Dean, Melissa, let's be real here. You're good at this. You'll be successful. You will stop it”

“Stop what?” I stressed, annoyed. “The apocalypse, huh? Lucifer? What? Be specific, man” Dean snapped, just as annoyed.

“You'll do everything you're destined to do. All of it. But I know, I know. You're not strong enough. You're scared. You both got daddy issues. You can't do it. Right?” he mocked.

“Angel or not, I will stab you in your face” Dean threatened. “And if he wont, I will” I threatened.

“All I'm saying is it's how you look at it. Most folks live and die without moving more than the dirt it takes to bury them. You get to change things”

Dean turned away to look out the big window as I started shaking my head, looking down. “Save people, maybe even the world. All the while you drive a classic car, a great truck and fornicate with women and men…with each other

Dean and I looked up at each other but we both had blank looks. “This isn't a curse. It's a gift. So for God's sakes, quit whining about it. Look around. There are plenty of fates worse than yours…so are you with me? You wanna go steam yourself another latte? Go file some more papers? Or are you two ready to stand up and be who you really are?” he finished. Dean and I held each others gaze for a moment and then just stared back at Zachariah.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333