‹ Prequel: Secrets Will Kill You
Sequel: Killing Me Slowly

Secrets Will Kill You The Sequel

Rising of the Witnesses Part 2

When Dean and I recollected ourselves, we met up with Sam and Brit downstairs and saw they found Bobby. Dean and I sat on the couch to load up the weapons as Sam paced a little, Brit sat on the arm of the couch, watching him and Bobby was looking over some books at his desk.

“So they're all people we know?” Sam questioned. “Not just know” I said. “People we couldn't save” Dean finished.

Bobby looked over at us. “Hey, I saw something on Meg. Did she have a tattoo when she was alive?” Dean asked. “I don't think so” Sam answered.

“It was like a, a mark on her hand. Almost like a brand”

“I saw a mark too, on Haylie” Brit spoke up. “And on Henricksen” Sam stated.

“What'd it look like?” Bobby asked. Sam walked over to the desk and got a piece of paper and a pencil and he started to draw. Then, Sam held it up for us to see.

“That's it” Dean and Brit agreed.

“I think I’ve seen it before” Bobby acknowledged and walked over to a bookshelf but then the lights started to flicker and we all grabbed our weapons. “We’ve gotta move” he said, grabbing two books, handing them to Sam and then he grabbed more. “Follow me”

“Okay. Where are we going?” Sam asked. “Someplace safe, you idjit” Bobby quipped and with that we all rushed down to the basement.

Once we hit the bottom, we went left, facing the opposite way we just came down and at the other side of the basement was a metal door. Bobby grabbed the handle and pulled it open and we all walked inside a big cylinder shaped room. There was a big fan spinning on the ceiling that had air coming in from the outside and there were some marks on the floor and I saw it was a big devil’s trap, covering the whole floor of the room. There were cabinets stocked with weapons of all kinds, there was a desk with a chair and a board on the wall with clippings and such, on the shelves were canned food, there was a cot, another desk with different radios and papers on it along with books…it was amazing to say the least. From the looks on the others’ faces, they seemed to agree.

Bobby locked the door and we all faced him but still looked around. “Bobby…” Brit started. “This is…” Sam continued but they both stopped in awe.

“Solid iron. Completely coated in salt. 100% ghost-proof” Bobby said.

“You built a panic room?” I asked him, very impressed.

“I had a weekend off” he shrugged and I just grinned and kept looking around. “Bobby” Dean said, holding one of Bobby’s really big rifles.

“What?”

“You're awesome” he said, dreamily and we all just smiled and laughed to ourselves. “Oh” Dean said in almost a shocked tone.

We all looked to see he was staring at a poser of Bo Derek on the wall next to a sofa. We all looked at Bobby, raising our eyebrows at him, unsure of what to think. He just shifted, uncomfortably not even sure what to say.

~~~~

As a while passed by and we fixed up a plan as we were also fixing up some salt-rounds for our weapons and Bobby was reading up on something in one of his books. “See, this is why I can't get behind God. If he doesn't exist, fine. Bad crap happens to good people. That's how it is” Dean said suddenly.

Everyone exchanged a look, except me. “What are you talking about?” Sam asked. I kept my head down but eyed Dean as he continued.

“There's no rhyme or reason, just random, horrible, evil…I get it, okay. I can roll with that. But if he is out there, what's wrong with him? Where the hell is he while all these decent people are getting torn to shreds? How does he live with himself? You know, why doesn't he help?” he said and I pulled my head up to look at him.

I agreed with him…completely. My father was a religious man…he believed in angels, God and Heaven…and I used to…but I also was a little skeptical about it all…and right now, I had too much happen in my life to believe that faith and God and all that crap is real.

“I ain't touching this one with a ten foot pole” Bobby said finally. Then he said he also found something. “The symbol you saw, the brand on the ghosts…Mark of The Witness

“Witness to what?” Brit questioned.

“The unnatural. None of them died what you'd call ordinary deaths. See, these ghosts; they were forced to rise. They woke up in agony. They're like rabid dogs. It ain't their fault. Someone rose 'em...on purpose"

“Who?” Sam asked.

“Do I look like I know?”

We all shared a look and then looked back at Bobby as we walked over to him. “But whoever it was used a spell so powerful it left a mark, a brand on their souls. Whoever did this had big plans. It's called, "The Rising of the Witnesses" …it figures into an ancient prophecy…”

“Wait, hold on” I said abruptly. “What book is that prophecy from?” Dean asked.

“Well, the widely distributed version's just for tourists, you know, but uh...long story short, revelations…this is a sign, kids”

“A sign of what?” we all asked at the same time, trying to take in what he was telling us. “The apocalypse” he answered.

My jaw clenched as I felt overwhelmed and I saw I wasn’t the only one with the disbelieving look on my face. “The apocalypse?” Brit questioned.

“Yup”

“As in apocalypse, apocalypse?” I asked. “The four horsemen, pestilence, $5-A-Gallon-Gas apocalypse?” Dean added.

“That's the one. ‘The Rise of the Witnesses’ is a...a mile marker. “Okay, so, what do we do now?” Sam asked. “Road trip. Gran Canyon, Star Trek Experience, Bunny Ranch” Dean said, sitting down in a chair with his back to us.

“First things first. How about we survive our friends out there?” Bobby suggested and Dean turned back around.

“Great…any ideas besides staying in this room until judgment day?”

“It's a spell...to send the witnesses back to rest. Should work”

"Should?” Brit inquired.

“If I translate it correctly. I think I got everything we need here at the house”

“Any chance you've got everything we need here in this room?” Dean asked, hopefully.

“So, you thought our luck was gonna start now all of a sudden?” Bobby asked him and I wrapped my arms around my stomach. “Spell's gotta be cast over an open fire”

“Fireplace in the library” I stated.

“Bingo”

“This is not as appealing as a ghost-proof panic room, you know?” Dean said and Brit, Sam and I all rose our eyebrows at him, agreeing completely. Well this should be fun.

~~~~

We were armed and ready to go out there and put an end to this. “Cover each other and aim careful. Don't run out of ammo until I'm done, or they'll shred you. Ready?” he asked us and we nodded.

Bobby opened the door and we started to walk out slowly and cautiously, ready to shoot anything that would attack. Dean and I were in the front when we walked around to see someone sitting at the top of the steps.

“Hey, Dean, Melissa. You guys remember me?” he asked.

It was Ronald! The guy who thought a shape shifter was some mandroid and he went charging into a bank with a shotgun. He was a little crazy but he definitely had good intentions. Dean and I both smiled a little.

“Ronald” I sighed.

“With the laser eyes right?” Dean asked, remembering the same thing I was. “Wish I could say it was good to see you”

“I am dead because of you” he said, pained as he stood up. Our smiles disappeared. “You were supposed to help me!” But, then Bobby shot him and he disappeared.

“If you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk” he instructed and started up the stairs.

We got up and rushed to the living room, Bobby set his gun down on the desk, putting out a book and Sam and Brit poured a salt circle all around us as Dean and I started a fire in the fireplace.

“Upstairs, linen closet. Red hex box. It'll be heavy” Bobby said and Sam got on it.

I turned to see two dirty little girls who said Bobby’s name but Brit shot them right away and we heard giggling. “Kitchen. Cutlery drawer. It's got a false bottom” he said as Dean and I stood up.

“I got it…watch out for Bobby” he said quietly to me and I nodded as he quickly headed over to the kitchen.

“Hemlock, opium, wormwood”

“Opium?” Dean questioned.

“Go!” Brit, Bobby and I all yelled at him.

Brit and I were holding our shotguns, ready to fire and then the little girls appeared again. “You walked right by us while that monster ate us all up, Bobby” one said.

“You could have saved us” the other added. Brit and I both fired at them. I glanced at Bobby and saw he had tears in his eyes.

Then, suddenly, the doors that separated the living room and the kitchen slid shut. “Dean?” we all called. “I’m alright! Keep working” he called back.

Then, Haylie appeared. “I really can not believe you two…ya know, everyone always knew that you two were inseparable but I kind of thought I was in on your little twosome…so did a lot of girls actually…do you know a few years ago Jenifer was possessed”

“Out-going, crazy but sweet Jenifer?” I asked.

“Yep…a hunter went after her and exorcised her…but only after he had to stab her a few times…sweet girl didn’t see it coming when she moved to Michigan…you could’ve saved her too Melissa…you saw it happen”

“I was only twelve when I had that dream and by the time it happened, she already moved and I lost contact with her…”

“Excuses, excuses…” she started but I shot her.

“I never did like her” I grunted.

I started to worry a little about Dean so I shut my eyes and started to focus hard. I needed to hear some kind of voice coming from the other side of the door…and I did…it sounded like Henricksen.

“…over 45 minutes. Lilith said she wanted to have some fun. The secretary was first, remember her? Nancy, the virgin. Lilith filleted Nancy's skin off piece by piece right in front of us. Made us watch. Nancy never stopped screaming” he spoke and I got chills.

No…I thought they died quickly…I thought that was it…but they were put through torture…because of us.

“…I was last”

“Victor, I…” Dean started but he was cut off and I heard him grunt slightly and I heard some other noises. “Tell me how it's fair. You get saved from Hell…I die. Why do you deserve another chance, Dean?” Henricksen continued.

I jumped over to the doors and with as much force as I had in me, I ripped the doors open and I saw Hendrickson had his hand inside Dean’s chest. I quickly shot Henricksen and he vanished as Dean fell to the ground. I rushed to his side and helped him up as he evened out his breathing.

“No way am I losing you again right when I just got you back” I said and helped him stay standing.

“I knew you still had a thing for me” he breathed out.

I glared at him. “Well, if anyone’s going to kill you again, it’s going to be me”

“You alright?” Sam asked as he came over to us. Dean touched his chest in pain. “No” he replied. I helped him back into the living room as Sam followed.

“I heard all of it” I muttered, shaking my head.

Dean gave me a sad look and he put down the supplies he got from the kitchen and Bobby got his spell ready as we were all inside the salt line. Ronald appeared in front of us, standing outside the salt line.

“Ronald. Hey, come on, man. I thought we were pals” Dean tried. “That's when I was breathing. Now I'm gonna eat you alive” he smiled creepily and Dean laughed.

“Well…come on, I'm not a cheeseburger” he said but then when he went to shoot Ronald, he was gone. We all shared a look.

Then, Bobby started to chant as he held a bowl with some stuff in it…but then the windows flew open and the wind started to blow in. Bobby tried to hold down the papers and the book with the spell…and then the salt line started to break. The wind died down and Bobby continued the chant and then Meg and Henricksen showed up and Sam shot them both. Then, Meg appeared again and Dean shot her. Ronald and Haylie showed up as well and Brit and I took care of them. They all just kept popping up though as we all kept firing. Then, I ran out as Haylie popped up right in front of me. She started to stalk toward me. Brit turned to shoot at her but she flew her into the wall and was pinned to the wall with a desk. As Dean was now at my side, in my same position with Henricksen stalking toward him, we both turned to see we were by the fireplace. We exchanged a look, I nodded and when I ducked to the ground, Dean pulled out a fire poker and swung it at them so they vanished. Then, I saw Sam get pinned by a bookshelf and Dean and I wanted to go help him and Brittney so badly but they yelled at us to cover Bobby as I saw the two little girls on the desk and the bookshelf by Sam and Brit. I heard Bobby grunt and I spun to see Henricksen had his hand inside Bobby’s back and he dropped the bowl but Dean dove to the floor to catch it.

“Fireplace!” Bobby grunted.

So, then Dean threw me a gun as he lunged for the fireplace and I shot Henricksen so he disappeared and Bobby fell to the floor as Dean threw the contents of the bowl into the fire and it turned a blue and green color as it flared. Suddenly, a bright green light erupted, filling the whole room and the ghosts were disintegrated.

“Bobby?” I spoke as I got to his side.

Dean helped me get him up as he was evening out his breathing and he nodded, assuring us he was okay. Sam pushed the bookshelf off him and helped Brit get the desk off her and they walked over to us as we all exchanged looks.

~~~

It was really late now and while Brit was sleeping on the couch, Sam was sleeping on the recliner chair and Dean and I were on the floor in Bobby’s living room. I was trying to sleep but I couldn’t. I felt some kind of strong presence approaching…my tossing and turning woke Dean up, though.

“Got bed bugs, Mel?” he whispered, tiredly.

“Just a case of insomnia” I said and he turned onto his side to face me as I was doing the same.

“Ya know…this is really stupid” he whispered.

“What is?” I asked.

“The fact that you and I are sleeping on the same floor, two feet away from each other, and nothing is happening”

“I told you already, Dean. You make my guard fall. I cant risk that. I need no attachments. Attachments just slow me down…I would think that you would agree”

“There’s no such thing as change?”

“I don’t think Dean Winchester can change” I smirked.

He was about to respond but I heard a small wind and the presence was even stronger. I looked toward the kitchen and I saw Castiel leaning against the counter. Dean looked too and then as I started to get up slowly as he glanced at Sam and Brit to make sure they were sound asleep and we both silently got to our feet and walked over to Castiel.

“Excellent job with the witnesses” he said. “You were hip to all this?” Dean questioned as I put my hands on my hips.

“I was, uh…made aware”

“Well, thanks a lot for the angelic assistance” I said with venom in my voice. “You know, I almost got my heart ripped out of my chest” Dean said the same way. “But you didn't” Castiel countered.

“I thought angels were supposed to be guardians” I countered back. “And with fluffy wings, halos…you know, Michael Landon. Not dicks” Dean added.

“Read the bible. Angels are warriors of God. I'm a soldier”

“Yeah? Then, why didn't you fight?”

“I'm not here to perch on your shoulder. We had larger concerns”

“Larger concerns? There were people getting torn to shreds down here! And by the way, while all this is going on, where the hell is your boss, huh? If there is a God?” I snapped at him.

“There's a God”

“I'm not convinced. 'Cause if there's a God, what the hell is he waiting for, huh? Genocide? Monsters roaming the earth? The freaking apocalypse? At what point does he lift a damn finger and help the poor bastards that are stuck down here?” Dean said with anger and frustration.

“The lord works…”

“If you say ‘in mysterious ways’, so help me, I will kick your ass” Dean threatened and Castiel put his hands up in surrender. Then, there was silence.

“So Bobby was right…about the witnesses…how they’re some kind of sign of the apocalypse?” I asked him, my voice was more light this time. “That's why we're here. Big things afoot” he answered.

“So we wanna know what kind of things?”

“I sincerely doubt it, but you need to know. The ‘Rising of The Witnesses’ is one of the 66 seals”

“Okay. I'm guessing that's not a show at Sea World” Dean said.

“Those seals are being broken by Lilith” I became tense…but I understood now. “She did the spell” I stated. “She rose the witnesses?” Dean assumed.

“Mm-hmm. And not just here. 20 other hunters are dead”

“Of course. She picked victims that the hunters couldn't save so that they would barrel right after us”

“Lilith has a certain sense of humor”

“Well, we put those spirits back to rest”

“Doesn't matter, the seal was broken”

“Why break the seal anyway?” I asked.

“You think of the seals as locks on a door”

“Okay…say the last one is unlocked...”

“Lucifer walks free”

“Lucifer?” I inquired. He nodded. “But I thought Lucifer was just a story they told at demon Sunday School. There's no such thing” Dean said.

“Three days ago, you thought there was no such thing as me. Why do you think we're here walking among you now, for the first time in 2,000 years?”

“To stop Lucifer” Dean and I both stated.

Castiel nodded. “It's why we've arrived”

“Well...bang-up job so far. Stellar work with the witnesses. That's nice” Dean commented.

“We tried. There are other battles. Other seals. Some we'll win, some we'll loose. This one we lost…our numbers are not unlimited. Six of my brothers died in the field this week. You think the armies of heaven should just follow you around? There's a bigger picture here” he said and came closer to us but was looking more directly at Dean as Dean moved his head slightly, trying to avoid Castiel’s eyes.

“You should show me some respect. I dragged you out of hell. I can throw you back in” he threatened and I felt my heart stop. Castiel, then, looked at me and then in the blink of an eye…he was gone.

~~

Dean and I both shot up in our spots, gasping and we quickly looked over to the kitchen where Sam and Brit were. We looked at each other and then Brit and Sam came over to us.

“You guys alright?” Brit asked as they sat down on the couch. We didn’t answer.

“What’s wrong?” Sam asked as he was getting his boots on. I glanced at Dean as he glanced back at me. “You guys…have no problem believing in God and angels right?” I asked them.

They looked at each other and shrugged. “No, not really” Sam shrugged. “So, I guess that means that you believe in the devil” Dean assumed.

Sam stopped moving as him and Brit both watched us with careful eyes. “Why are you guys asking all this?” Brit asked.

But, we didn’t respond. Dean just shook his head, looking down and I looked into Brit’s eyes with my sad ones. Lilith was trying to bring on the apocalypse…fantastic.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333