‹ Prequel: Secrets Will Kill You
Sequel: Killing Me Slowly

Secrets Will Kill You The Sequel

Last Moments On Earth

We all got armed with our shotguns and started walking, side by side, down the street. We’re looking around for some kind of signs that we can see, since we don’t exactly have angel powers like Cas to see the reapers.

“Well, this is great, been in town twenty minutes and already lost the angel up our sleeve” Dean said. “You think…Lucifer got him?” Brit asked.

“I don't know what else to think”

“Wait” I spoke and stopped in my tracks. I heard light footsteps and felt a presence…but it wasn’t Cas or Lucifer.

“What is it, Mel?” Dean asked.

“There you are” a voice said.

We all spun around and saw Meg standing there. Doesn’t this bitch ever die? “Meg” Sam hissed.

“Shouldn't have come here, kids” she addressed me, Sam, Dean and Brit. “Hell, I could say the same thing for you” Dean said and aimed the colt at her.

“Dean…” I said and gripped his arm tightly.

“Can you see them, Melissa? Or is it just your demon side that makes you feel them around” Meg said, smugly with a smirk.

Dean kept his concerned eyes on me but I pulled him back a little so I could get in front of him. “Melissa?” Dean spoke as they all had eyes on me.

“Yea, you might want to stay back and have your little girlfriend protect you…because I didn't come here alone, Deano” she said and the water in a puddle splashed up.

Then…we heard the growling and the barking. I couldn’t see them but I felt them…. “Hellhounds” Dean whispered.

I could tell he was trying to stay un-phased but I was able to hear the fright in his voice. “Yeah, Dean. Your favorite. Come on, kids. My father wants to see you”

“I think we'll pass, thanks” Brit said.

“Your call. You can make this easy or you can make it really, really hard”

I lightened my gaze a little when I looked back over my shoulder at Ellen. She nodded and then I looked at Dean with a concerned, worried expression. He nodded at me though so I returned my hard eyes to Meg.

“When have you known us to ever make anything easy?” I questioned.

She started to shake her head. I saw Dean shift in his spot, then he quickly pointed the gun and fired. Blood spurt out from one of the hellhounds. “Run!” Sam and I both grunted.

We all spun around and raced away. But, I heard some grunts and when I turned I saw one of the hellhounds had tackled Dean to the ground and he was trying to fight it off with his shotgun.

“Dean!” I shouted and raced back to him. “Mel!” he shouted back but I could hear it in his voice that he didn’t want me to go back to him…but when do I listen?

“Mel! Dean!” Jo voiced and followed. “No, Jo, stay back!” Dean grunted.

But, she fired her shotgun and I saw some blood spur. Then, I was about to race to Dean’s side but when I took a few feet away from Jo, she was tackled to the ground. “No!” I shrieked.

I charged in her direction as she screamed out in pain while I watched her skin and blood go everywhere by the hellhounds claws tearing her side to shreds. I shot at the hellhound(s) like a mad woman and I paid attention to their vibrations so I would move out of the way swiftly if they tried to get to me. But, one got me and I tripped so it tore at my leg a little. All my senses left me though and I yelped in pain but my adrenalin was more powerful so I couldn’t feel the pain that much. I heard Brit, Sam, Dean and Ellen’s voices shouting, trying to get to us as they started to fire but I couldn’t make out much. I was just trying to get to Jo.

“Son of a bitch!” I grunted and pretty much super power kicked the hellhound that tried to continue to tear me to pieces and then I shot at it.

I raced to Jo’s side and picked her up into my arms. I hadn’t noticed that Dean was at my side until Sam had taken Jo from me and Dean scooped me up into his own arms.

They ran us into a hardware store as Ellen and Brit followed us in. Brit kept shooting as Sam and Dean set us down with our backs against the counter where the cash register was. Sam raced back to Brit to help her chain the doors shut. Jo was whimpering.

“Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, breathe now…” Ellen instructed as she got to her daughters side.

I pushed Dean away slightly so I could stand. “Mel, you…” Dean started. “Dean, Sam, go get salt and salt everything” I ordered and raced down the medical aisle.

I got whatever I could get my hands and I couldn’t think straight so I couldn’t process what Jo really needed. I raced back to the others with the supplies as they were all staring down at Jo and Ellen. Ellen peeled a hand away from Jo’s injury and some blood spurted out. Ellen looked over her shoulder at us, horrified by the sight and even though I was scared shitless and I couldn’t think perfectly, I put on my poker face and got down on my knees to Jo’s side. I started to bandage her up, the best way I knew how…even though it wasn’t doing much.

I sighed and rubbed my hands on my legs. “It’s gonna be all right” Ellen promised her.

I forced a smile and nodded at her when she looked at me. “Mel, your leg…” Dean started. “I’m fine, Dean” I snapped.

“Melissa, you need bandages” Brit said as she got down to my side.

“I said I was…”

“Melissa Stern. Sit there and let Brit bandage you up” Ellen ordered.

I didn’t respond. I just sat there and stuck my leg out for Brit to look at. It hadn’t hit until I looked at my injury…and when Brit touched it to bandage it up, I yelled out in pain but then bit my tongue to shut myself up. Jo didn’t need to see my pain and be reminded of her own pain…and I had no right to yell out in pain. It was obvious that she was in worse condition.

I noticed Dean and Sam went somewhere else in the store, talking, but I couldn’t focus much because I cringed again. But, then I felt my hand be encased and I saw it was Ellen. I squeezed it slightly but when Brit finished, I stood slowly to my feet.

“Mel” she scolded. I ignored her. “Sam, can we have some help over here?” Brit called out slightly as her attention was on Jo again.

I stared down at her. I couldn’t watch much more of it…I couldn’t bare to see how horrible Jo looked. Sam came over to us and glanced at me and then got to Jo’s side. I went to another part of the store to find Dean. I could hear him talking into a radio piece, calling Bobby.

“Bobby, it's Dean. We got problems” he said and I could almost hear his voice waver. “It's okay, boy. That's why I'm here” Bobby replied.

“No. It's…it's Jo. Bobby, it's pretty bad…I don’t think she’s going…” he started but stopped himself.

“…and Mel’s hurt too. It isn’t as bad but seeing her hurt…I cant handle it, Bobby. She’s supposed to be helping me think over our next move, not be bleeding out…”

"You can handle it…she isn’t invincible, Dean, you know that…”

I took a deep breath and tried to think good thoughts. “No, but she’s close to it” I voiced as I limped over to Dean.

He stared at me in almost disbelief but I saw some tears fill his eyes as he was trying to push them away. “Bobby, we have to figure out what to do next” I said and stared into Dean’s eyes, sending him a telepathic message. He nodded.

“It’s why you keep me around, isn’t it? Tell me what you got”

So, we explained the story from when we arrived, to when Ellen and Jo told us that Cas disappeared after he saw reapers to the hellhounds to now. “Before he went missing, did Cas say how many reapers?” Bobby asked.

“I don't…he said a lot of things, I guess. Does the number matter?” Dean asked.

“Devil's in the details, Dean”

Then, Ellen showed up behind us and we handed her the microphone. “Bobby, it's Ellen. The way he was looking, the number of places Castiel's eyes went, I'd say we're talking over a dozen reapers, probably more”

“I don't like the sound of that”

“Nobody likes the sound of that, Bobby” I said.

“But what…what does that sound like?” Dean asked.

“It sounds like death, son. I think Satan's in town to work a ritual. I think he's planning to unleash Death”

“You mean, like, as in this dude and taxes are the only sure thing?” I questioned.

“As in Death. The horseman. The pale rider in the flesh”

“Unleash? I mean, hasn't Death been tromping all over the place? Hell, I've died several times myself” Dean reminded.

“Not this guy. This is…this is the angel of death. Big daddy reaper. They keep this guy chained in a box six hundred feet under. Last time they hauled him up, Noah was building a boat. That's why the place is crawling with reapers. They're waiting on the big boss to show”

“You have any other good news?” I asked, sarcastically.

“In a manner of speaking…I been researching Carthage since you've been gone, trying to suss out what the devil might want there. What you just said drops the last piece of the puzzle in place. The angel of death must be brought into this world at midnight through a place of awful carnage. Now, back during the Civil War, there was a battle in Carthage. A battle so intense the soldiers called it the Battle of Hellhole”

“Where'd the massacre go down?” Dean asked.

“On the land of William Jasper's farm”

~~~

Once we were done talking to Bobby, we got back to Sam, Brit and Jo. Ellen got to her side, cooing to her while Dean, Sam, Brit and I were a few feet away, talking, but my eyes stayed on Jo with my mind being somewhere else. Why couldn’t I protect her? I couldn’t see where I screwed up. She was right at my side one moment…and then the next, shes feet away, on the ground with her blood coming out…. I should’ve been able to sense the hellhounds going after her…but I didn’t. I wasn’t on my toes, I guess.

“We have to get Jo and Ellen the hell out” I murmured, not caring if they heard me or not. “And we will” Brit said.

“Stretcher?” Dean suggested. I felt his eyes twitch to me but he addressed Sam…he knew I wasn’t me right now. “I'll see what we got” Sam said and went to go look around.

“Stop. Guys, stop” Jo breathed out.

I took a few steps toward her as our attention was on her. We walked over to her and I knelt down beside her as Brit was at my side and the boys were standing in front of us. “Can we…be realistic about this, please?” she said and I could hear the pain in her voice….

“I can't move my legs. I can't be moved. My guts are being held in by an ace bandage. We gotta…we gotta get our priorities straight here” she said. I felt the others exchanged a look but I couldn’t look away from Jo.

“Number one, I'm not going anywhere”

“Joanna Beth, you stop talking like that” Ellen said, sternly.

“Mom. I can't fight. I can't walk. But I can do something. We got propane, wiring, rock salt, iron nails, everything we need”

“Everything we need?” Brit questioned.

“To build a bomb, Brit”

“No. Jo, no” Dean spoke. “That’s out of the question” I said, matter-of-factly.

“Either of you got another plan? You got any other plan? Those are hellhounds out there, guys…” she looked at Dean, then me.

“They've got all of our scents. Those bitches will never stop coming after you. We let the dogs in, you guys hit the roof, make a break for the building next over. I can wait here with my finger on the button, rip those mutts a new one. Or at least get you a few minutes head start, anyway”

I felt my insides ache…and I felt myself stop breathing. “No, I…I won't let you” Ellen said and the tears came into her eyes.

“This is why we're here, right?” she asked.

“It’s craziness, Jo” Brit voiced.

“Is it really?…if I can get us a shot on the devil…we have to take it”

“No! That's not…” Ellen started.

“Mom. This might literally be your last chance to treat me like an adult. Might wanna take it” she said, smiling at her mother.

Ellen started to sob. There was a pause. “You heard her. Get to work” Ellen ordered.

My eyes snapped up at Ellen and then shifted to everyone in the room. “This is seriously going to be our new plan?” I asked, incredulous. They all just stared at me.

“But…we just started to get close again. I-I cant lose you again when we’ve only had a few hours to get back what we’ve had…”

I looked at Brittney. “You were always close with her, even when she and I weren’t close and you’re okay with this?”

I looked at Ellen.“Melissa” Dean chided quietly and gently before I could even speak words to her. “Mel…look at me” Jo said and I did.

I stared at her pale face and realized a tear slipped down my cheek when my vision became blurry with thousands of other tears wanting to just slide down my cheeks. “It’s going to be okay. Quick and painless. That’s always the way to go, right? You used to tell me that”

“But I at least thought I would go before you did...it isn’t your time to go yet…” I shook my head at her.

“Maybe it is…” she countered and I didn’t respond. I felt on the edge of hysteria. “Think of it as a last request…please just let me have my moment” she tried to joke.

I couldn’t manage even a twitch in my lips though. “And you had things to tell me…so tell me now while they make the bombs” she said.

I tried to control my breathing without them noticing. “Okay” I agreed and got to her side with my back against the counter as Sam, Brittney and Dean got started on the bombs.

I hooked my arm around hers, careful not to touch her much or move her but she was the one who got the tighter grip on me and Ellen was caressing Jo’s hair and just petting it down. “Well…I have a son” I started.

“You have a what?” she asked, breathlessly as a weak smile came to her face. “Yep…met him…a few weeks ago…maybe a month or two” I said, a little unsure.

“Did you know?” she asked Ellen.

“I was sworn to secrecy” she informed her.

“Is he…” she used her eyes to finish the sentence as I noticed they flicked to Dean.

“Yea, he is…and his name’s Jesse”

“What’s he like?” she breathed out.

So, I started to tell her about Jesse…everything about Jesse. Then, I moved to other things like Dean…I told her how we both said I love you on Christmas that one year…that made us have a gushy girl moment. Then, I noticed Sam said something to Brittney and she came over to us and she started engage in the conversation as well and she started to tell Jo about her and Sam and whatnot. My eyes met Ellen’s a few times and every time they did, they built up more tears. This wasn’t right….

A very short while later, it became dark outside. Ellen was helping with setting up the little things as Sam came over to us to share some short words with Jo as he held her hand securely. Then, Dean came over to us and handed her the button that she had to push. Brit hugged Jo lightly and kissed her cheek before her and Sam backed off a little. Dean bent down to her level while I was still at her side, holding onto her hand. My eyes didn’t leave her though, afraid she might slip away at any moment. It started to hit me hard…Jo was going to die…I would never see her again….

“Okay, this is it…I'll see you on the other side. Probably sooner than later” he said to her. “Make it later” she stared up at him as her voice cracked.

I saw the way she was looking at him…and I saw the way he looked at her…but then he looked at me with an even deeper look. I looked at him in the corner of my eye and all I did was nod at him. So, he took Jo’s face into his hands and kissed her forehead…and then he kissed her lips. I couldn’t feel anything though…so it didn’t phase me one bit. Ellen got back to us as Dean straightened up. But, Ellen knelt down beside Jo and didnt move as they had a silent moment…I felt my stomach drop.

“Mom, no” Jo cried.

“Somebody's gotta let them in. Like you said, you're not moving. You got me, Jo. And you're right, this is important” she said.

Jo nodded with more tears flying down her cheeks…and I realized tears were passed flying down my face. “But I will not leave you here alone” she said in a more lighter tone. Her eyes met mine. “Get going now, kids” she addressed the four of us.

“Mel…” Sam said.

“Ellen…” I shook my head.

“I said go” she repeated.

I looked at Jo and I could see the light leaving her eyes. I forced an extremely weak smile…I don’t even think it was a smile. I probably looked like I was in pain…and I was…but it wasn’t because of my leg.

“We’re even now” I smirked.

“I never wanted to get even…I wanted to get my friend back”

I felt myself be ripped apart. “Well, you got her back…I’ll see you on the other side” I murmured and kissed her forehead as more tears came.

I let go of her hand as I stood to my feet slowly and I wiped the tear streaks off my face. Then, I wrapped an arm around Ellen, giving her a half hug as I kissed her cheek. She kissed mine as well and half hugged me back, careful not to move Jo. I straightened my posture. Brit and Sam looked at them again and then started to walk away. We were about to follow.

“And Dean? Mel?” Ellen voiced. “Kick it in the ass. Don't miss” she said. We both nodded and Dean started to walk away but he waited for me.

I got one last good look at both of them…and I saw how Jo was taking her last breaths…I couldn’t watch anymore so I tore my head away and rushed to Dean’s side as the four of us got to the fire exit. We went through a window and onto the fire escape. We all started to make our way down the ladder at a fast pace. When we hit the ground, we started to run down the ally…but then…the explosion made me stop and turn around. I watched as the hardware store burst into flames and I felt everything just break inside me. I felt the others watch as well.

“Jo! Ellen!” I cried out.

Dean lunged forward to wrap an arm around me and keep me in my spot. I didn’t even feel myself try to move. “Come on, Mel” he whispered in my ear but his eyes were still on the fire. I couldn’t feel my legs but I forced them to move as we all sprinted down the ally.

We got to a field and snuck through some bushes and we saw dozens of men standing in the field but it’s like their brains…or their bodies…were inhabited as they all just stood there with blank expressions, looking at Lucifer at the top of a hill, fill a huge hole with dirt.

“Guess we know what happened to some of the townspeople” I spoke, monotonously.

We all faced each other. “Last words?” Sam questioned. “I think I’m good” Dean said first.

“Yeah. Me too…girls?”

“We’re good” we both replied.

“Here goes nothing” Dean said.

So, Dean and I got into position while Sam and Brit stepped out of hiding and approached Lucifer, staying a good distance away as they had shotguns ready. “Hey! You wanted to see us?” Brit asked, rhetorically.

“Oh, Sam, Brittney, you two don't need that gun here. You know I'd never hurt either of you. Not really”

“Yea? Well, I’d really love to hurt you” I said as I appeared at Lucifer’s side without him noticing. “And I’m going to really hurt you” Dean said, appearing on his other side, causing him to spin and face him.

He pointed the colt at Lucifer. “So, suck it” I voiced and he shot him, point-blank to the forehead. He fell to the ground.

We all stood there in silence…just staring at the motionless body before us…but then Lucifer started to stand again. I had a wrenching feeling inside me as we all had horrified looks on our faces.

“Oww...where did you get that?” he questioned and then punched Dean so hard, he flew back into a tree and fell to the ground. He spun to face me.

“Ya know, Melissa, if you just let your dark side come out a little more, we could be wonderful partners” he said a bit seductively as he got in my face.

“Bite me” I hissed.

“Mmm tempting…but if you don’t join me, then you’re apparently against me…and even though I think deep down you really want to be on my side, for the moment…” He didn’t finish, though.

He just gripped me by my hair and threw me across the field, in Dean’s direction. I hit a tree as well and fell to the ground as darkness overcame my body. I felt my body break even more…physically and emotionally. I couldn’t breath anymore…and part of me was hoping that the tree paralyzed my whole body so I would just die right here and now. So, that way, I would be able to be with Ellen and Jo…and dad, mom and Lindsey. But, then I thought about Brittney…I couldn’t just leave her…and I couldn’t leave Dean and Sam either…I knew I shouldn’t…and I knew that technically, I really couldn’t since I would just be brought back somehow…but I really wanted to.

“Mel…Melissa, are you alright?” I heard Dean’s voice as I was being shaken.

I opened my eyes and stared up at his face hovering over me. “Ow” I whispered. “Damn” came right after that.

Sam and Brit came to our sides and I sat up to see Sam and Brit staring at Lucifer and his mass grave. Cas suddenly appeared beside us and he held a finger to his lips. He got Dean and Sam to put their hands on his shoulders as he held my hand and Brit’s hand and he poofed us to Bobby’s house. I still felt like I couldn’t breath…like I couldn’t do anything…like I was the one who was being possessed by something.

~~

The sun started to come up and the house was silent. No one spoke a single word to each other. I felt numb…I couldn’t feel anything at all as I wrapped my arms around my stomach. I wouldn’t even look or go into the kitchen because Ellen’s shot glasses were still there from the day before yesterday, along with Cas’…and looking over at the counter…I could just see myself and Jo standing there and just laughing while we just talked…and that memory alone hurt like no idea…because it was our last good moment together.

We were all gathered around the fireplace while the TV was on, talking about a number of tornadoes in the area of Paulding County…where we were yesterday. Bobby leaned forward and placed the picture of all of us, plus Cas, Jo and Ellen, into the fire. We all just watched it burn in a depressing silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
i kinda cried watching this episode AND writing this chapter. what can i say? im a sap
its one of my favs tho

<333