‹ Prequel: Secrets Will Kill You
Sequel: Killing Me Slowly

Secrets Will Kill You The Sequel

Famine

“This is Cupid?” Dean asked. “Yes” Cas grunted while being squeezed by this guy. Then, he turned to face us again. “And look at you” he eyed me with a cheery face.

“Oh umm no hugs, thanks, I’m good” I tried to back away but Dean got behind me to hold me there.

I squeezed my eyes tight and turned my head to the side as Cupid wrapped his arms around me tight and lifted me off the ground. “Oh, not again” Dean said with some fear in his voice and I noticed Cupid got him in on the hug too.

“I don’t know which Cupid worked on you two but I’m loving the work he did” he said to us and then set us down.

I caught my breath and flew into Dean’s chest as I tried to get away from the naked hugging machine as I managed to push him slightly so we got out of his way. “And look at you two, huh?” he said to Sam and Brit and they looked like deer in headlights.

“No” they both said quickly and spun to rush out.

But, Cupid vanished from his spot and popped up in front of them to hug them both. “Yes, yes!” he cheered.

“Is this a fight? Are we in a fight?” Dean asked quickly, just as confused and mortified as I was as we all continued to just stared. “This is...their handshake,” Cas said and I could even hear the awkwardness in his voice.

“I don’t like it,” I said quickly, shaking my head. “No. Neither do I” Dean said and we both sounded like little kids. “No one likes it,” Cas told us.

Cupid let go of Sam and Brit and then came over to us again. “What can I do for you?” he asked, cheerily. “Why are you doing this?” Cas asked.

“Doing what?” Cupid laughed. “Your targets, the ones you’ve marked...they’re slaughtering each other,” Cas said, bluntly.

Cupids cheery smile began to fade. “What? They are?” he asked, seeming genuinely sad. I eyed him, skeptically.

“Listen Birthday Suit. We know, okay? We know you’ve been flitting around, popping people with your poison arrow, making them murder each other!” Dean said, annoyed.

“What we don’t know is why,” I added but in a lighter tone.

“You think that I..." He looked at all of us. "Well...I don’t know what to say.” he said and started to cry.

And when I said he started to cry, I mean, it wasn't like a fake cry, he had legit tears rolling down his cheeks. He turned his back on us quickly and went to cry in the corner. We all got close and stood there awkwardly as we stared.

"Should one of us..." Sam started. "Go talk to him, maybe..." Brit added. "Yea, good idea. Go for it Cas" I patted his back. "Yea, give em hell" Dean and gave him a little shove

He sent us all a glare. "Shouldn’t he get a feminine response?" he hissed, eyeing me and Brit.

"Nope. I disagree" Brittney said quickly. "Yea, angels trump feminine charm, go get em tiger" I added.

Sam and Dean gave him fake encouraging looks, he just sighed and took a few steps toward Cupid. “Look...we didn’t mean to, um...hurt your feelings..." Cas said slowly as he approached Cupid cautiously.

Cupid spun around quickly and hugged him tightly again. “Love is more than a word to me, you know? I love love...I love it!...and if that’s wrong, I don’t wanna be right” he sobbed slightly.

“Yes...yes, of course. I uh..." he glanced over his shoulder at us as he awkwardly patted Cupids back.

We all just shrugged and shook our heads. Yea, like we knew what to say. "I have no idea what you’re saying”

Then, Cupid jumped back slightly. “I was just on my appointed rounds. Whatever my targets do after that, that’s nothing to do with me. I was following my orders. Please brother, read my mind. Read my mind, you’ll see" Cupid said, excitedly with a pleading look.

I watched as Cas just stared into Cupids eyes for a moment. “He’s telling the truth" he said to us. “Jiminy Christmas, thank you" Cupid smiled again.

“Wait, wait, you said you were just following orders. Who's orders?" Dean asked. “Heaven, silly! Heaven" Cupid laughed.

“Why does Heaven care if Harry meets Sally?” I questioned.

“Oh, mostly they don’t. You know, certain bloodlines, certain destinies...oh, like yours”

“What?” Sam asked.

“Oh yeah, the union of John and Mary Winchester? Of Vince and Gabriel Hails? And especially Will and Kathrine Stern. Very big deal upstairs. Top priority arrangement"

“Are you saying you fixed up our parents?” Brit narrowed her eyes.

“Well, not me...but yeah. It wasn’t easy, either. Ooh, they couldn’t stand each other at first...you guys too. We were supposed to intervene at first but nothing we did would get you two to come together. You’re a natural creation" he said, giddy as he looked at me and Dean.

I felt heat rise to my cheeks. "Sam and Brittney were a done deal to begin with. Before they were even born, they were meant to meet even without our help" he grinned.

I glanced up at Brit but she avoided my eyes...in a way I just wanted to say 'ha! See? I told you' but in our situation right now? I just couldn't do that.

"But anyway...your parents were the perfect couples" he continues to grin.

That made me snap. "Perfect?" Dean and I both snapped.

"Their parents are dead and my mother cheated on my dad and then they both pretty much died because of me!" I hissed.

I didn't even notice that I was trying to lunge at Cupid until Brit grabbed onto my wrist to hold me back and Dean wrapped an arm around my waist and placed his hand on the small of my back to calm me down.

“I’m sorry, but the orders were very clear. You, Brittney, Dean and Sam needed to be born and have a past with one another. Your parents were just...meant to be...no matter what they did, they were. Match mades in Heaven" he giggled.

I felt anger boil inside me...but before I could do anything about, Dean was the one who went foreword and swung his fist at Cupid. But he was un-phased by it. "Son of a bitch!" Dean grunted, gripping his hand.

Then, when we looked around, Cupid was gone. “Where is he? Where’d he go?” Dean asked. “I believe you upset him,” Cas answered. “Upset him?” Dean asked, incredulous.

“Dean, enough!” Sam said. “You just punched a Cupid!” Brit added. "He punched a dick!" I countered. "Yea!" Dean voiced.

"Okay, are we going to talk about what’s been goin on with you lately?" Brit asked Dean.

"Babe, you don't exactly have that right to ask him that because there has been something going on with you too...we know what’s going on with you and Melissa but Melissa and Dean...the two of you have been acting weird. Are we going to talk about it, or not?" Sam asked.

Dean and I didn't even look at each other, we stared at them both with our signature hard stares. "Or not" we both answered and pushed passed them both to walk out.

~~

There was another death and apparently he died from binging on Twinkies and when we checked out some police work, including the Twinkie-guy, that was eight suicides since Wednesday, and nineteen OD’s, which told us this thing was more than just a love connection. But what was really weird was when Brit and Sam came back to the motel and told us they were attacked by a demon and they managed to swipe the demon’s briefcase.

“What the hell does a demon even have to do with this?” I questioned. “Believe me, I got no idea” Brit answered and Sam just shrugged, shaking his head.

I eyed her and saw Dean eye Sam. “You guys okay?” Dean asked. “Yea, we’ll be alright” Sam said. We all looked back at the briefcase. “Well, lets get her open” I said and walked over to it, on the bed.

I leaned my ear down to the combination lock and I started to listen carefully as I flipped the numbers. I unlocked it on the first try and when I went to open it, it flew open by itself and I flew off the bed. I almost fell but Dean grabbed onto me, helping me get my balance back as we all looked away while a bright light filled the room. Then, it faded away.

“What the hell was that?” Dean asked aloud. I felt Cas’ presence and turned to see him pop into the room. “It was a human soul” he said. The others turn to look at him as well.

He was standing by the window, holding a bag and I could smell the food. “It’s starting to make sense” he said as he took a bite of the hamburger that was in his hand.

“What is?” Brit asked. “And when did you start eating?” Dean asked

“Exactly! My hunger! It’s a clue, actually”

“For what?” all four of us asked at once.

“This town isn’t suffering from some love-gone-wrong effect. It’s suffering from hunger. Starvation, to be exact. Specifically…famine”

“Famine? As in…the horseman?” Sam asked. “Great. Well that’s friggin’ great,” Dean commented. “I thought famine meant starvation…like as in…you know…food” Brit said.

“Yes, absolutely…” Cas said and took another bite. “But not just food. I mean, everyone seems to be starving for something. Sex, attention, drugs. Love”

“Well that explains the puppy-lovers Cupid shot up,” Dean said and I crossed my arms.

“Right. The cherub made them crave love, and then Famine came and made them rabid for it”

“Okay, but what about you? I mean since when do angels secretly hunger for White Castle?” I asked.

“It’s my vessel, Jimmy. His appetite for red meat has been touched by Famine’s effect,” he explained, taking another bite.

“So, Famine just rolls into town and everybody goes crazy?” Dean asked.

Cas swallowed. “ ‘And then will come Famine, riding on a black steed. He will ride into the land of plenty…and great will be the horseman’s hunger, for he is hunger. His hunger will seep out, and poison the air’,” he recited.

“When Famine is hungry, he must devour the souls of his victims,” he added. “So that’s what was in the briefcase. The Twinkie dude’s soul?” Dean realized.

Cas nodded. “Lucifer has sent his demons to care for Famine. To feed him. Make certain he’ll be ready”

“Ready for what?” Sam and Brit asked. “To march across the land,” Cas replies.

I watched Sam walk into the bathroom and get a wet wash cloth and I noticed Brit was shifting in her spot and I also noticed how she was developing some sweat on her forehead but I didn’t call her out on it as she was controlling it somehow.

“So what, this whole town is just gonna eat, drink, and screw itself to death?” Sam asked. “Unless we stop it,” Cas replied. “Hey, that’s a great idea. How?” I said with some sarcasm in my voice.

“How did you stop the last Horseman you met?”

“War got his mojo from this ring” Dean said and went to his jacket and pulled it out.

“And after we cut it off, he just tucked tail and ran. And everybody that was effected, it was like they woke up out of a dream. You think Famine’s got a class ring too?” I asked.

“I know he does”

“Okay, let’s track him down and get to chopping,” Dean said and he glanced at me and I nodded. “Yeah,” Cas said, distracted by the empty food bag in front of him.

“What are you, a hamburglar?” Dean asked him.

I turned to see Sam and Brit were in worse conditions from two seconds ago when I last looked at them. “Sam…Brittney…?” I voiced.

“We uh…we cant go” Brit said. “What do you mean?” Dean asked. “I think it got to us…we’re hungry for it…” Brit gasped slightly as she put a hand on the wall.

“Hungry for what?”

Sam gave him a look. “You know”

“Demon blood?…you gotta be kidding me”

“You gotta get them out of here. You gotta beam him to like, Montana. Anywhere but here” I said to Cas, quickly.

“It won’t work, they’ve already infected. The hunger is just gonna travel with them”

“Well then what do we do?” Dean asked and I heard the desperation in his voice…but I wouldn’t have sounded any better. “You go cut that bastard’s finger off,” Sam said.

Dean and I looked at Cas for some kind of confirmation. “You heard him” was all he said. “But Dean…Melissa…before you go you better...you better lock us down” Brit suggested.

So, we grabbed some handcuffs and handcuffed them to both sides of the sink in the bathroom. “Just hang in there, okay?” I said and I looked at Sam…then Brit.

She looked up at me…but then looked away. I was hurt by it but I shook it off. “We’ll be back as soon as we can” Dean said. “Be careful” Sam said. “And…hurry” Brit added, pleading.

Dean and I both nodded and then walked off. Cas raised a hand, shut the door and then moved a dresser in front of the door. “What if they were touched by Famine, why aren’t they craving for each other like everyone else?” I asked.

“Somewhere deep down inside them, they crave the blood more than each other…and they didn’t need the help to become soul mates…you two needed the help but you just wouldn’t accept it and it just turned out the way it did” Cas explained, answering my question that I didn’t want to ask aloud.

Dean and I glanced at you but right now we couldn’t focus on each other, we had to focus on Famine and helping Sam and Brit.

~~~

We took the Impala to the morgue and found out Dr. Korman (the guy that has helping us with this case) had drank himself to death but his soul wasn’t harvested yet so we made a plan. Cas disappeared to somewhere while Dean and I sat in the front seats of the Impala, sitting in front of the hospital…and it was a little awkward. We stayed silent though…occasionally glancing at one another. But…he shocked me slightly when he lunged at me across the seat and attacked me with his lips. I started to kiss back immediately…but then I felt a presence and I pushed Dean back into his seat.

“What…” he started but then stopped when Cas popped up in the backseat.

“Sorry to interrupt” he said, taking a bite out of his hamburger and the bag he was holding had more inside it. “Seriously?” I asked and made a face.

“These make me very happy” he replied with a matter-of-fact tone. “How many is that?” Dean asked.

“Lost count. It’s in the low hundreds” My eyes widened slightly. “What I don’t understand is, where are your hungers?” he asked, eyeing us both. “Slowly but surely, everyone in this town is falling prey to Famine. But so far, you both seem unaffected. You’re not even hungry for each other”

We looked at each other and shrugged. “Hey, when we want to drink, we drink” I shrugged again. “And when we want sex, we get it…” Dean said. “It helps when we’re on the road together…” I added.

He nodded in agreement. “And same goes for a sandwich, or a fight,” he finished. “So you’re saying you’re just well adjusted?” Cas assumed.

I laughed without humor. “God no. Just well fed,” Dean smiled. Then, he looked back at me and just stared into my eyes….

“There” Cas spoke, nodding to the hospital . A man in a black suit came walking out, carrying a briefcase. He got into a black SUV and I sat back, facing forward as Dean started the car and we started to follow.

We got outside a restaurant, behind a few bushes and there were a few men in suits standing outside. “You wanna go over the plan again?” Dean asked, mostly eyeing me.

I opened my mouth to answer but I noticed Cas wasn’t paying attention. He was looking down at the hamburger wrapper like a sad puppy wanting more food. “Hey! Happy Meal! The plan!” I snapped at him.

“I take the knife, I go in and cut off the ring hand of Famine and I meet you both back here in the parking lot,” he sighed.

“Well that sounds foolproof,” Dean commented but it was too late, Cas vanished from his spot.

I grunted in response as we stared at the restaurant…a few seconds went by…. “This is taking too long” we both muttered and got out of the car.

We snuck around and went through the back door…and I suddenly felt lightheaded. I gripped onto Dean for some support. “You okay?” he whispered. “No…” I whispered but pushed on.

I felt the death in this place as we walked through the kitchen. There was a dead man with his head deep inside the fryer and as we stepped around his body, we looked over the counter and Cas was crouching on the floor, shoving raw beef into his mouth.

“Cas!” Dean hissed.

But, I heard silent footsteps…I spun around and threw my leg up, kicking the demon, in a suit, in the head. He flew to the side and I punched him in the face. I spun to face Dean. “Behind you!” I yelled.

He spun around to fight the demon fight. I went to help Dean but a hand grabbed my hair and I feet left the floor as my body flew into the wall and I fell to the floor. I went to get up quickly but the demon punched me in the face and then as Dean and I struggled to break free of the demons grips, they dragged us out of the kitchen and they threw us to our feet. A few feet in front of us was this incredibly old guy, sitting in a wheel chair…I figured he was Famine.

“The other Mr. Winchester…and the one and only, Ms. Stern” he said. “What did you do to him?” Dean demanded, pointing to Cas who was still just shoveling food into his face.

“You set your dog on me, I just threw him a steak,” Famine replied.

"So this is your big trick?Huh? Making people cuckoo for coco puffs?” Dean quipped with hard eyes.

“It doesn’t take much. Hardly a push…ah, America…all you can eat, all the time. Consume, consume...a swarm of locusts in stretch pads. And yet you’re all still starving. Because hunger doesn’t just come from the body, it also comes from the soul”

“Funny, it doesn’t seem to be coming from ours,”

“Yes, I noticed that. Have you wondered why that is? How you could even walk in my presence?”

“I like it to think it’s because of my strength of character” Dean smirked.

Famine sighed. “I disagree” he said and made his chair raise up to our level and he came closer to us until he was right in front of us. He placed his hands on our chests.

“Yes…I see. That’s one deep dark nothing you both got there, Dean and Melissa. Can’t fill it, can you? Not with food, or drink, not even with sex”

“Oh, you’re so full of crap…” Dean started but Famine gripped both of our shirts tightly, interrupting Dean.

“You can smile, and joke, and lie to your brother, your sister, lie to yourself, lie to each other, but not to me! I can see inside you both, Dean! I can see how broken you two are! How defeated…you can’t win, and you know it. But you just keep fighting…keep going through the motions. You’re not hungry, Dean and Melissa…because inside, you’re both already dead” he spoke fluently.

I felt my jaw clench as tears filled my eyes but I wouldn’t let them fall. Then, he stared into my eyes. “You keep fighting your demon side because you think it’s the right thing to do…but deep inside, you know there’s no point to it…you want to give in to it…” he continued.

“Let them go,” two voices said.

Famine took his hands away as we all looked to the entrance and there stood Sam and Brit…with blood smeared all around their mouths. “Sammy, Brit, no!” Dean spoke up as the five demons, around us, wearing the suits, started toward them but Famine put a hand up to stop them.

“No one lays a finger on these sweet children! Sam, Brittney…I see you got the snack I sent you”

“You sent?” Sam repeated.

“Don’t worry. You two are not like everyone else. You’ll never die from drinking too much. You’re the exceptions to the rule. Just the way Satan wanted you to be. So...cut their throats!” Famine cheered.

“Brittney!” I finally voiced. She looked at me. “Sammy!” I added. “Don’t do it” I pleaded. But, it was too late…Famine had gotten to them and there was no way to get through to them.

“Please…be my guest,” Famine encouraged.

So, then, Sam and Brittney raised their hands and black smoke started to come pouring out all of the men’s mouths. I saw the knife by Cas and narrowed my eyes at it so it came flying into my hand as the black smoke was just floating around and Sam and Brit dropped their hands.

“No” she said, sternly.

“Well, fine. If you don’t want them, then I’ll have them,” Famine said and the demons flew into his mouth and down his throat.

I handed the knife to Dean and Sam and Brit tried their thing again, on Famine. “Sam, Brittney, I’m a horseman. Your power doesn’t work on me”

“You’re right…but it will work on them” Sam spoke and they started to squeeze their hands and Famine started to scream as black smoke was oozing out of his body.

I saw how blood was coming from Sam’s nose and Brit was struggling a little but they continued until the demons were gone.

When they done, Cas stood up, wiping his mouth but my eyes just stayed on Sam and Brit. No one spoke a word…I could barely even find my voice, let alone words.

~~~~~~~~~~

I shut my eyes lightly as Brittney and Sam’s yells and screams filled my ears while I was standing outside Bobby’s panic room with Dean and Cas. “It’s not them in there. Not really…they just need to get it out of their systems” Cas said. “I know” Dean said, quietly.

Then when I opened my eyes, I saw Cas was eyeing me…and then so was Dean but his look was different from Cas’. “I just need some air” I murmured so quietly, it was almost not even audible.

I walked upstairs and right outside. I had tears flowing down my cheeks as I walked to my broken down bike that was by my truck. It’s been here for Bobby to fix and I noticed he worked on it a little but I couldn’t control myself, I just went right up to it and kicked it so it fell over and slid a few feet away from me. My hands flew to my head and gripped my hair tightly, I felt like I was going to rip it all out. I threw my fist into one of the old, rusted cars and I shattered the window. I felt the glass cut my hand but I didn’t acknowledge it. I just threw my hands down onto the front of my truck as I felt the pain and emptiness chew at me. I threw my head back to look at the sky.

“Please…I cant..” I shook my head as I hung it again.

I felt Dean’s presence coming close to me and I spun to look at him and saw he had tears on his face too but I just fell to my knees. He got on his knees in front of me and wrapped his arms around me. I couldn’t even wrap my arms around him, I just cried and dug my head into his shoulder. I felt his head look up to the sky.

“We need some help…please” he whispered to whoever listened and he held me close.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?

<<333