‹ Prequel: Secrets Will Kill You
Sequel: Killing Me Slowly

Secrets Will Kill You The Sequel

A Blast From the Past Part 2

We were all sitting around the table and Dean and I side by side as Mary and dad were side by side with Deanna and Samuel side by side and my grandmother and grandfather side by side as well. “First time in Lawrence Dean and Melissa?” Deanna asked us.

“Well, it's been a while. Things sure have changed...I think” Dean answered.

“You working a job?” Samuel asked.

“Yeah, maybe”

“What's that mean?”

“It means I don't trust other hunters either, Samuel”

I felt the tension rise around the table but Samuel and Dean exchanged small smiles. Then, Mary asked us why we were following her, John, Kathrine (my birth mother) and dad. We told them how we thought something was after John and dad but we didn’t think that anymore. Then, Deanna said imagine if John Winchester was mixing up with spirits and that resulted in Samuel sighing and it sounded like he was irritated by something. That caused my eyebrows and Dean’s eyebrows to rise and Mary didn’t like the sound of the sigh and it led to a small argument between her and her father with both dad and granddad trying to break it up but it didn’t work. Samuel called John a civilian and I tried to keep the irony to the side since Dean did learn from the man…and I knew he was thinking the same thing…and then Mary asked her father if he would rather have her be with a guy like Dean and I tried to keep my snickering to myself as Dean became very uncomfortable and started to stammer a little. Then, Deanna and grandmom broke it up, reminding the two that they had company. It was all amusing and weird at the same time.

“So what about you Sam, you uh, working a job?” Dean asked. “Might be” he replied. Mary sighed. “We’re working a job on the Whitshire Farm” granddad said and Samuel gave him a look.

“Whitshire, why does that name sound familiar to me?” I asked. “Well, it's been all over the papers Tom Whitshire. Got tangled up in a combine a few towns over” Samuel said. “That kind of thing happens” Dean said.

“So why was he on it in the first place when his crops are all dead?”

“Demonic omens?”

“That's what George and I gotta find out”

“What about the rest of the town? Well, did you find anything on the web?” Dean asked and he received a bunch of weird looks. I gave him a pointed him look. Different time moron.

“The web of information that you assembled” I clarified. “Electrical storms maybe” Deanna said. “The weather service graphs should be here on Friday” grandmom said. “By mail?” Dean inquired.

Then, Samuel, Deanna, grandmom and granddad all exchanged a weird look. I nudged Dean and gave him another pointed look. “No, we hired a jet liner to fly 'em to us overnight” granddad said, sarcastically.

“You know, it sounds to me like we might be hunting the same thing” I spoke. “If we go in there in numbers, we could take care of this thing real quick” Dean added.

“What part of we work alone do you not understand, son?” Samuel said, sternly…and that was it. End of discussion.

We decided to stay the night at a nearby motel. “You know what I wonder?” he asked me as we walked into the room.

“Hmm?”

“My mom and your dad seem like such good friends…”

“It makes you wonder why they were never anything more?” I read his mind.

He shrugged. I sat on the bed beside him. “Maybe they’ve just been friends all their life, they don’t know how to be anything more…they’re happy with where they are…”

“Thank goodness for that” he commented. Then he just kept looking at me. “We’re not them ya know…” he started.

“We should get to bed if we want to get to the Whitshire’s before Samuel and George do tomorrow” I said and walked to the other bed, and laid under the covers. He sighed but didn’t push anything.

~~~~~~~

So, the next morning, Dean dressed up as a father to go talk to the family and when we got there, I saw a teenage boy leaning against a tree so I made way over to him. “Hi there, I’m Melissa” I said, offering my hand to him, smiling my flawless smile. “Charlie” he nodded, shaking my hand.

“I’m with the local church and I wanted to give my condolences for your loss…tell me about your father” I encouraged.

Then, I saw another car pull up and George and Samuel get out in father uniforms as well. “How many fathers are coming today?” Charlie asked me. “Only three” I told him.

Then, I saw Mary and dad heading toward me, smiling. They introduced themselves to Charlie and we started to question him. All the while, I noticed dad was acting a little weird…but I tried to stay focus on the boy.

Then, the information Charlie gave us made me a small lead to what we were dealing with and then Dean started to approach us. “Charlie…would you like to tell the father what you just told us?” Mary asked him.

“Dad drank sometimes, sometimes he got rough with Mom”

“And that's when the stranger came?”

“I just thought he was some Bible thumper, like you all. He showed up about a week ago”

“Saying what?” Dean asked.

“Did I want the beatings to stop. I just thought he was crazy, I didn't think…and the next thing I know, Dad's dead. Am I going to jail?”

“You didn't do this Charlie” dad said. “Did the stranger want something in return?” I asked.

“He didn't want anything”

“Come on Chuck, he wasn't just handing out freebies now, was he?” Dean said.

“He did say something about comin' a callin' ten years from now. Maybe he'd want something then”

“Something like what?”

“I don't know okay? Look, I told you he was nuts”

Mary grabbed my arm to pull me to the side. “What are you guys thinking?” she asked. “I think he just pimped his soul to a demon and doesn't even know it” I told her and we faced the guys again.

“Charlie, do you remember what this stranger looked like?” Mary asked.

“Yeah, he was about 5'10, white, normal looking really”

“Anything else?” dad asked.

“There was one thing….the light hit his eyes in a weird way and...for a moment I could’ve sworn…”

“That they were black? Or red maybe?” Dean asked. “No, they were yellow, pale yellow” he said and I felt my stomach form knots.

As we headed back, I was at Mary’s side. “Hey umm is Will okay? He just seems…off…he alright?” I asked, showing concern.

“No, he’s not…he found out Kathrine was cheating on him…going to whore houses, strip clubs. All that…”

“Oh…I’m sorry to hear that”

“Yea…I’ve been trying to keep him distracted but it doesn’t seem to work…he didn’t deserve what that girl did to him” All I could do was nod as I felt my heart ach.

~

Night fell and Dean and I were at Mary’s house again. While, Deanna and grandmom were fixing up a snack for all of us in the kitchen, Samuel, granddad, dad, Dean and I were in the dining room and George was pacing as dad was being a little fidgety. Dean put down a map down on the table and Dean was fired and so was I but I hid it better than he did. We told them it was a demon but Samuel argued, saying they never heard of a demon with yellow eyes, Dean told them it killed our family and George tried to get him to calm down and then Dean told them how they were all in trouble and told them to get someplace safe but they said not until they know what we’re dealing with. Then, Deanna and grandmom came in with a fruit salad.

“They’re right, Dean, Melissa…it could be a demon, it could be a shape shifter, it could be any number of things” Deanna said.

“I know what this thing is! And I'm gonna kill it, that's all the talking I need to do” Dean said.

“You're gonna kill a demon? How? Unless you have the Colt or something” George said and I heard how he was kidding. We both had blank looks, showing them we were serious abou that option.

“I used to tell the story of the Colt to Mary as a bedtime story” Samuel added.

“Well it’s real…and you know it is” I looked at George. He held his eyes with mine but avoided everyone else’s stare. “As in like Elkin’s Colt?” dad asked with some excitement in his eyes. I nodded.

"Say that it is. You got some kind of crystal ball telling you where this demon's gonna be?” Samuel asked. “Yeah, maybe I do” Dean said and then pulled out John’s journal and flipped it open on the table.

He showed them the list of anyone who ever he thought came into contact with the Yellow Eyed Demon. A list of who, when and where. Whitshire farm was on the list and that was why it sounded familiar…but it led to them asking how it was on the list since it was only two days ago…and then Dean told them how his dad could see into the future…and then we saw where the demon was going to hit next. A woman named Liddy Walsh in Haleyville. I watched as they all stared at us like we were crazy and Samuel said how we seem like really nice kids but it was final…Dean and I were going after the thing and stop it.

I walked outside to wait for him while he went into the study to talk to Mary. I heard the door open as I stood on the porch and I turned to see it was dad.

“So, you’re going so soon” he stated.

“Yea…you know how the job can be” I shrugged. He nodded. “Umm Mary told me about Kathrine…I’m sorry” I tried.

“Doesn’t matter” he shook his head.

“You don’t deserve her”

“I know…Mary said I deserve better”

“She’s right…make sure she stays with that John kid. He’s a cool guy”

“I’ll make sure” he chuckled.

“If you don’t mind me asking though…why aren’t you with Mary? I mean…I heard you two have been friends since like forever

He smiled and it seemed like he was reminiscing. “We were together when we were younger…but we both realized we wanted something that we couldn’t give each other” I waited, patiently.

Normality…she wanted a boyfriend who wasn’t part of the whole hunting thing and I wanted a girlfriend who wasn’t part of it either…and we just weren’t meant to be. We’re better off just friends…but it doesn’t mean all hunters should do what we do” he hinted to me slightly. “You and your friend in there…there’s something between you two…”

“Any advice?” I laughed half heartedly.

“I think…you should what you want to do…if you really have strong feelings for him…let him know it…my feelings for Mary…I’ve always felt a sister-brother bond between us…I treat her like a sister…but you and Dean…it’s different” he shrugged.

I nodded. “Why are you in the job? I mean, you seem like you would be but you also seem lime the type to just be regular” he said suddenly.

“I am…I’d give anything to have a normal life…but my father…well, he had to teach me some things for my own safety…and then this yellow eyed demon killed my family…so I’ve been obligated…”

“I want out…so bad” he said and I looked at him. “I hate this life…for me and Mary…I want to be able to just have a family and be safe”

I felt myself be taken back a little and I started to get a little choked up. “I can’t see me raising my children like this…I don’t want to let it happen…but when your dad is George Stern, it’s kind of hard to get out of it”

I gave him a sad look. “Yea…I wouldn’t want that either” I murmured. “Can I tell you something?” I asked.

“Sure” he nodded.

“You have to remember this…even if it sounds really weird…when your first born turns 23...exactly two weeks later…get your family out of the house and call up your friends Vince and Gabriel to get them out the house as well”

“How do you know Vince and Gabriel…”

“Please…just remember that?” I asked and felt the tears well up.

He analyzed my face and my tears. “Okay” he nodded.

Then, Dean came outside. “You ready?” he asked and I could tell that he was crying too. “Yea” I nodded. I smiled once more at my father and then we walked to the car, got in and drove off.

~

The ride was silent. I was wrapped in my thoughts as Dean was wrapped in his own. Then, he gasped and spazzed a little in the drivers seat and I saw him looking into the rearview mirror. So, I turned around to see Castiel sitting in the back.

“So what? God's the copilot here, is that it?” I asked him.

He didn’t respond, so I turned back around in my seat. “Well, you're a regular chatty Kathy. Tell me something, Sam would have wanted in on this, why not bring him back?” Dean asked.

“The two of you had to do this alone, Dean”

“And you don't care that they’re tearing up the future looking for us right now?”

“Sam and Brittney are not looking for you”

“Alright, if we do this, then the family curse breaks right? Mom and Dad live happily ever after along side Mel’s parents and…and Sam and I grow up playing little league and chasing tail?”

“And Brittney and I grow up on the cheer leading squad and the soccer team and have regular slumber parties like all the other girls?”

“You realize, if you do alter the future, none of you ever become hunters. And all those people you saved, they'll die”

“We realize” we both said.

“And you don't care?”

“Yea, we care. We care a lot but these are our parents” I snapped.

“I'm not gonna let them die again. I can't…not if I can stop it” Dean added and then when I turned to face him again, he was gone. Dean kept driving.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333