Everybody Has a Reason

McGill Family Dinner

“Ma! I’m home!” Connor shouted as soon as he stepped through the front door, the wonderful smell of fresh cooking lingered in the air. Lila heard a girlish shriek, some boisterous shouting and someone yelling.

“Ah, home sweet home” teases Connor. He says, motioning Lila to come in. She stepped in, wiping her feet on the mat and then took them off. Connor took his own shoes off and shrugged his coat off.

“Come meet the clan” jokes Connor, leading Lila in further in the home.

Lila was surprised as how big the house was, it was bigger then she thought. She walked into the dining room and suddenly, a girl screamed running around the corner. She looked about 4 years old, with blonde hair and green eyes unmistakably like Connor’s. She looked adorable, a slight dimply in her right cheek.

“CONNIE” she shrieks, Lila couldn’t help smile at the pet name. Conner made a roaring sound as he picked her up, placing her on his hip.

“Lila, this is my little sister, Pippin.” he introduces, kissing her head. She giggles, biting her finger in her teeth.

Lila’s heart melted, as the adorable little girl’s face. “Hello Pippin” she says softly, giving a sweet smile. Pippin grinned cheekily.

“You’re pretty!” she announces to the world, and wiggles out of Conner’s arms and runs off through the door nearest them, she just ran a complete circle of the house.

“SHAUN! STOP TEASING PIPPIN!” shouts a voice, that must belong to Conner’s mother.

“Next on stop is…” says Conner, turning into the living room, seeing two more members of family.

One of them stood up, running to Conner and signed something. Conner crouched down, nodding.

“Frankie, this is Lila” he says, but was signing at the same time. Lila realized, that Frankie must be deaf. She felt her heart go out for him.

Conner stood back up, half smiling. “Frankie’s deaf in one ear, and partial in the other. He can tell the difference between voices but he can’t know what you’re actually saying. He’s also, an amazing lip-reader. So you have to be careful what you say in front of him” Conner explains, and Lila realize, Frankie was behind Conner, so he wouldn’t know he was being talked about.

Lila nodded slowly, smiling. “How do I sign Hello?” she asks politely. Conner showed her, the quick movement and she copied to Frankie, who smiled, pleased someone had made an effort to sign even if they didn’t know.

He signed something back and Conner translated “He says Hello back” he says and Frankie smiles and runs off.
“Frankie’s 7 but he acts older.”

“He’s probably the most mature out of all of us Conner” jokes the other male on the settee, he looked older then Frankie, but younger then the them. He looked very similar to Conner, with same the brown hair and green eyes and face. Strong looking.

“Shaun, Lila. Shaun is 15, going on 5” he jokes and Lila giggles. Shaun smirks. “That’s me” he agrees, turning back to the television, rugby was playing. Lila noticed the Irish accent in his tone too.

“Let’s leave this toddler alone then” teases Conner, and they go into another room, the kitchen. It smelled of food that made Lila’s tongue water almost.

“Ma!” calls Conner, and a lady about age of late thirties turns around, she had blonde hair like Pippin, and hazel coloured eyes. She looked good for a mother of so many children, she had a kind looking face and Lila had to admit, she was very pretty.

“And this beautiful creature, is my mother. Maggie McGill” says Conner charmingly and walked over to his Ma, putting an arm around her shoulder and smirking.

“Conner! Always the charmer” she teases her accent was much softer, swatting him with a tea towel. Conner chuckles and moves away, stealing a piece of apple that Maggie had been cutting on the board. Maggie tried to slap his hand away but the apple had already been stolen.

“Conner” chides Maggie, smiling still. Conner grins cheekily. Lila could see that Conner had a close relationship with Maggie. Maggie looks back at Lila, looking her over.

“Pleasure to meet you Lila” she says, wiping her hands on the towel and offering her hand. Lila gladly took it. “And you Mrs. McGill” she says politely. Maggie waves her hands.

“None of that now, call me Maggie” she assures her. Lila smiled and nodded. “Maggie” she repeats. Conner was about to steal another piece of fruit when Maggie caught him.

“Stop stealing the food boy, go make yourself useful and set another place for our Lila over here” says Maggie firmly but motherly. Lila couldn’t help smile and wonder if her own mother would have been like this, had she got the chance.

“Yeah, Yeah” mumbles Conner, washing his hands from fruit and leaned against the counter. Seconds later, a loud masculine voice is heard.

“Ma! Where’ve you hid my fags!?” shouts the voice and soon enough, the owner to the voice entered the kitchen, shirtless, wearing jeans only. Lila couldn’t help stare, shocked slightly. This guy was something to definitely look at, with slightly tanned body, his abs were clearly noticeably and something worth of mentioning. He had a tattoo on his right pectoral muscle and Lila recognized it to be a Celtic Dragon. The guy stopped and stared, surprised to say the least.

“Ma? Why’s there a gorgeous gal in the room?” he asks flirtatiously, his Irish accent stood out more to Lila. Conner hit his right arm playfully, or possessively.

“Paddy, this is the lovely Lila. Lila this is my bastard of a brother. Paddy McGill” introduces Conner lightly. Maggie gave a disapproving look of his choice of words.

“Conner, don’t be rude now” she scolds softly, stirring the pan of what smelled to be gravy.

“Nah, it’s alright Ma. Let Lila see how I’m treated” he says pretending to be hurt, holding a hand to his chest, and the back of his hand against his forehead.

“It hurts so much” he jokes, pretending to sound miserable. Conner chuckled.

“Need I say more?” he mutters, and Paddy smirked, returning back to normal. He punched Conner on the arm lightly.

“Whatever man, where’s my fags?” he asks again, returning to the topic of interest. Lila noticed Maggie roll her eyes.

“In the bin, where they belong Pad” says Maggie firmly, not even glancing up. Paddy chuckled, a husky laugh that Lila found attractive.

“I’ll just go ask Shaun then” he says casually. Maggie looked up, staring hard at him.

“You better be joking Paddy or so help me I’ll be buying every single one of nicotine patches. Including Pippin” she says in a serious tone, but her meaning was humorous. Paddy and Conner laughed till no tomorrow, whereas Lila politely laughed and smiled. She did agree with Maggie though. Smoking was a bad habit.

“Shaun! Come tell Ma where you’re fags are!” shouts Paddy suddenly, smirking. Conner was amused too. Suddenly Shaun shouts back.

“Shut up you bastard, I don’t smoke!” he yells back but Lila had a suspicion that he was lying and Paddy and Conner knew something that Maggie didn’t.

“TOO RIGHT!” shouts Maggie, frustrated with her sons behaviours. A brief silence went by till Maggie spoke again.

“Conner, go set the table for Lila. Paddy make yourself useful and put a shirt on. You’re be scarring poor Lila for life” she says lightly Paddy scoffs cockily.

“Yeah right Ma, look at me. I’m bloody beautiful” and Lila began top realize the McGill’s humour. She giggled slightly and Conner looked at her, he liked hearing her laugh.

“Get your fat head out of my kitchen!” orders Maggie sternly. Paddy chuckles but does leave. Conner, leaves too. Leaving Lila awkwardly on her own, unknowing what to do.

“Um, can I give you a hand?” asks Lila suddenly, feeling rude for not offering. Maggie looked up and smiled sweetly.

“I’m alright sweetheart, why don’t you go watch telly with Shaun and Frankie” she says kindly and Lila nods and goes back the way she came into the living room.

She sat down on the armchair and stayed silent, she noticed Frankie watching her. Shaun was too engrossed in his TV to notice.

Pippin comes skipping in, Barbie Doll in hand. “Lilly! Come play!” she urges. Lila smiles and nods.

Pippin held out her hand and Lila took it and she felt herself being pulled away and upstairs.

“Okay! Let’s have a party!” she announces when they reached her room, it was pink (no surprise there) covered with Barbie and typically little girl things. Her floor covered in toys, her bed unmade and posters of cartoons on the wall. A small television in the corner. Yep. It was definitely a little girl’s room.

“Alright then.” says Lila amused at Pippin’s excitement.

“I’ll serve you okay?” says Pippin, sitting Lila on the floor beside ‘Mr. Snuggles’ as they were introduced earlier.

“Okay then” says Lila, and Pippin gladly spoke for the both of them. About ten minutes later, Lila heard a low chuckle from the doorway, there standing was Conner leaning on the frame casually with his arms cross, a glimpse of his tattoo.

“What?” asks Lila innocently.

“Nothing, just…never knew you were into tea parties” he teases. Lila rolls her eyes, whereas Pippin was not amused.
“GET OUT!” she yells, sticking her tongue out, glaring at her other brother.

“Fine, Fine. But I’m taking Lila with me Pips. She’s my guest so-” says Conner, sticking his tongue out and Lila actually laughed, full on laughed. Conner smiled victoriously. Pippin glared.

Lila was unsure what to do, get up? Or sit still…not to make any sudden movements..

Conner smiled suddenly “Fine then, keep her. I’ll just tell Ma what you told me yesterday.” he threatens lightly. Pippins eyes widened dramatically. She frantically looked at Lila and then back to Conner, who was smirking now.

“Go! Get out!” she pleads to Lila, who got up quickly and followed Conner and she heard Pippin’s door slam behind her. Conner went into his own room and Lila followed.

“What did she say?” she asks curiously. Conner smirked.

“She stole Ma’s perfume for the whole week. Ma was searching for it everywhere. Pips was so guilty, she knocked on my door last night, crying. She confessed everything. I said I would say I found the perfume in the bathroom, where she’d left it. We made a deal” he laughs. Lila smiled, nodding. She was touched by Conner’s brotherliness towards his sister.

“So, anyway this is my room” he says, sitting on his own double bed. The room was a darkish blue, with various band posters stuck on. Bands like Paramore, All Time Low, The Script, The Fray, Green Day. Lila was impressed, she loved all these bands.

His room was fairly tidy. Much to Lila’s surprise. His desk was nice and tidy, with a Apple Laptop on the desk, a printer beside it. A alarm clock on a small table beside his bed and wardrobe facing the bed. A window on the left of the window.

“Nice” murmurs Lila, Conner smiles.

“Thanks.”

Sitting beside him, Conner begins a conversation about music. They talked for about ten-fifteen minutes continuously. Lila beginning to feel really relaxed in his company. A knock at his door came and Paddy walked in, smirking at them.

“Conner, Ma says dinner’s ready” he says. Conner nods and sits up, getting off the bed. Lila copies and stands up, straightening her clothes. Paddy walks in and opens the drawer of Conner’s desk.

“Paddy? What you doing?” asks Conner, not even amused. Paddy produced a lighter in his hand and a pack of Silk Cut cigarettes and a Zippo lighter with an Irish flag on. Lila’s eyes widened, did Conner smoke too?

“Ah-ha! You can’t hide me fags Connie. I can sniff them out like a dog” jokes Paddy, and leaves the room, chuffed with himself that he found them.

Lila gave Conner a curious look. Conner put his hands up in surrender position. “I just hid them, they’re not mine!” he protests, smiling. Lila smiled and her stomach flipped again.

---

Sitting with the McGill’s for dinner was probably the most interesting thing Lila had seen in a long time.

“Paddy, pass the gravy” Shaun ordered, looking at the oldest brother who had no interest in actually stop eating and move the pot nearer the third son in the family. Lila who was seated on the right of Paddy and was practically forced to sit by Pippin, who gladly took her time eating. This left Conner facing Lila, sitting by Shaun and Maggie to sit at the other end of the table. Frankie had managed to squeeze on the other side of Pippin and his mother.

“Paddy” says Shaun again, irritated. Lila spotted Paddy smirked as he remained looking at his plate, shovelling in his food.

Conner looked like he was trying to prevent laughter and Pippin was blissfully unaware. Frankie looked confused. Conner signed something and Frankie suddenly smiled widely. Maggie looked at Shaun, amused but tired.

“Paddy, pass your brother the gravy” she says firmly. Paddy was still mute and continued to eat.

“Paddy, stop being a bastard” mutters Conner, noticing his mother’s annoyance. Paddy just smirked more and remained silent.

Lila felt like she had to intervene, try and prevent another family argument. So she picked up the gravy passing it the Shaun, apologizing for reaching across so much. Shaun thanked her and glared at his brother.

Paddy smiled sweetly “No problem brother” he teases and Conner coughed but it sounded like a laugh.

Paddy leaned back on his chair and looked at Lila, she definitely was a pretty girl. He wondered how Conner had managed to snag her. She must be out of his league. He loved winding his brothers up though, he smiled at Lila.

“Welcome to the family” he says, giving a smile that Lila didn’t understand. It wasn’t till a few minutes later, it clicked. It was test, to see if she would be brave enough to intervene, or was she going to sit and watch.

Dinner continued and their was endless chatter, no awkward silences, no more arguments, just pure conversation and eating some rather delicious food. Lila was asked frequent questions about herself which she answered, but when it came to family….she was vague.

“So, how come you’ve moved up to little ole Ireland?” Shaun asks, helping himself to more Apple Pie and Custard.

Conner looked at him, trying to give him a signal to shut up, he was the only one that knew. Maria had informed him, shortly before she arrived. But Shaun was unaware and continued to press. Lila found herself under immediate pressure, she coughed nervously and put her fork down.

“Needed space from the city” she says, hoping that would suffice.

“Yeah, but…why?” presses Shaun and Maggie nudged Shaun. “Don’t be a nosy so and so” she says as she noticed Conner’s urgent glances. Paddy was interested too as why everyone was giving each other glances.

Lila realized that Pippin was in fact present and Frankie so just smiled grimly “Just did” was all she said and Shaun didn’t press any more, mainly to the fact that Conner just kicked him furiously under the table. Maggie sighed with relief and suddenly jumped up.

“Alright then, well you lot go on into the living room. I’ll wash up” she says.

“I’ll help” says Lila suddenly, and Maggie smiled knowing she couldn’t argue. Conner smiled meekly at her.

“Ma, need another pair of hands?” asks Conner and Maggie looked amazed.
“Since when did you help me with the washing up?” she asks incredulously. Conner winks at Lila and she smiles, that twisted knot in her stomach immediately untwisted.

“Since now” he says and gets up, tucking his chair under. Paddy got up, thanking his Ma for the dinner and picked Pippin up.

“Come on sweetheart” he says, and Pippin wrapped her arms around her big brother’s neck and looked over his shoulder as he walked out, she waved to Lila and Lila waved back, touched by the motion.

“Frankie, let’s leave the servants” teases Shaun, signing to Frankie. He grinned and nodded and jumped off his seat, running out. Shaun smiled, kissed Maggie’s cheek and thumped Conner on the shoulder as payback on the way out. Lila didn’t bother to ask.

“Come on then you two, one wash, one dry and one put away” she instructs. Lila nods, pleased she was doing something as return for the dinner. Conner just wanted an excuse to spend time with Lila.

--

After somehow getting soaked during washing up, thanks to Conner, Conner offered to walk Lila home. The sky was array of colours now and it amazed Lila to every possibility. She couldn’t help, noticing the warm fuzzy feeling in the bottom of her stomach. She liked it.

She sighed gently and noticed the air exhaling in front of her, the temperature had dropped now. A lot.

Lila cursed herself for not bringing a warmer coat. Conner smiled softly and discreetly shrugged his own, thick oversized hoodie that he’d grab moments before they’d left the house. He nudged Lila softly with his elbow and shows her the hoodie.

“Go on, put it on” he encourages. Lila opened her mouth to protest yet Conner put his index finger to her lips, stopping her to speak. Her lips were cold against his warm fingers.

“Shush” he whispers, leaning close. Lila tensed inside. Was he going to kiss her? She didn’t know how to feel or react. It was too soon, far too soon.

Conner smiled “Put the hoodie on Lila” he whispers, moving his head to her ear. Lila visibly relaxed and nodded, defeated. She took the hoodie and put it over her head and immediately flicked her hair back into place, suddenly feeling very self conscious of her appearance. Conner couldn’t help smile, he always smiled.

“Thanks” mumbles Lila, appreciating the warmth and crossed her arms, locking the warm goodness, she smiled to herself, kicking a large stone on the muddy pathway with the tip of Ugg boot which she now refused to take off, her feet were warm as buns.

“I’m glad you came” Conner suddenly says, breaking their silence. Lila looked at him confused. Where exactly did she go?

“To my house that is” Conner quickly finishes, seeing Lila’s confusion. Lila made an ‘o’ shape with her lips and nodded, smiling.

“I liked it” Lila admits softly and stole another glance at him. He really was good looking. She grinned suddenly, feeling random happiness.

“What?” asks Conner, chuckling nervously.

“Nothing. I just…I feel different” says Lila honestly, pulling the sleeves further down.

“How so?” asks Conner, unsure and feeling disappointment as Aunt Maria’s house came in view, only two minutes left before they’d have to depart.

“Just do. Thank you for inviting me Conner. I had a…really nice time” Lila says genuinely, tucking a curl behind her ear and giving a nervous smile. They both stopped outside the gate that Lila found a challenge less then an week ago.

Conner smirked and unlocked the gate for her. “There you go, don’t want you standing out here in the cold” he teases and Lila rolls her eyes but she had a secret feeling she would most likely be doing that or shouting for Maria to come open the door for her.

Conner had his hands in his pockets and looked at Lila, suddenly feeling nervous. The sun setting behind the hills behind them, in other circumstances this would be romantic. Lila glances at the house, the living room light was on. Maria was watching telly most probably. One thing Lila discovered about Maria: A Total Soap Addict. Name a Soap and she knows all the characters and all the plots. She knows it all.

“So I’ll see you soon?” Lila says suddenly, shrugging giving a shy smile. Conner smiles, amused by her anxiety and unsteadiness. He nods slowly.

“Soon.” he repeats and leans forward, pecks her almost frozen cheek, stepping back and gave an easy smile, walking backwards a few steps before turning around and began walking back down the hill. Lila watched him, the way he walked with a slight swagger but a natural swagger. He looked a real man, a man that she wanted to know a lot more about.

The sun blacked his whole outline out and it was undeniably a good picture. A picture worth keeping. Lila felt her cheek still tingling from the kiss, and as she wrapped her arms around herself subconsciously. She realized she still had his hoodie. She also realized she didn’t want to take it off.

So that’s what she did that night, Lila bid Maria a goodnight and even though it was only about eight o clock, Maria was too consumed in Coronation Street to notice Lila’s odd behaviour. Lila went into her room, closing her curtains, undressed her day clothes into some big, warm pyjamas and she put Conner’s hoodie back on, clambering into her bed and moving her legs around to get it warm. Lila curled into a ball almost, she tightened her arms around her pillows. She could smell him. Conner’s hoodie smelled of him, which was lemons, lemons and aftershave and oddly it worked and bought some comfort somehow. It reminded Lila of Drew, when he wore aftershave. And for once, in almost half a year. Lila slept a full night’s sleep, dreaming of nothing that she could remember. She was just…at peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Funny, I just noticed that I use similar names in my other stories...never realized that.
Anyways, another chapter for you :)
Thank you to:
sarcastichedgehog
for the lovely comment :) <3