World So Cold

Prey

After school I quickly disappeared before Stefan could catch me. I knew he was looking for me but I made it to my car in time. It was almost too easy. He was so slow without any human blood in his system. He may as well have been a human.

Driving in my car I decided it was time I find someone here that I could periodically snack on. It’d be better and easier than going somewhere else. Just a little compulsion and no one would even know about it.

So I decided to go to one of the local hang out places that I heard a couple members of the football team say they were going to. It was the best place to find a good guy, one that could stand to lose a lot of blood.

Pulling up to the small place I parked the car and peered inside. I could see a couple of guys milling about. Getting out of the car I walked in and up to the counter. It was just a small little coffee shop, there wasn’t much in this town anyway.

As I walked by I could feel the glances from guys as I passed. I’d caught their attention, good. I placed my order of just a small coffee and then waited. Thankfully one of the guys came up next to me. He ordered something before turning to me.

“You’re the new girl, right?” he asked me. He was your typical high school jock. He was tall, broad and muscular. He had dark hair, pale skin, and dark eyes. He was decent looking, not bad at all.

“Yes, I’m Juliet.” I offered my hand for him to shake.

“Tyler Smallwood,” he said shaking my hand.

“Pleasure,” I said and then removed my hand. Then the guy working there came with my small coffee. This was such a waste to order. I turned to leave but then Tyler caught my attention again.

“Hey, since you’re new and everything, would you like me to show you around town? I mean, there’s not much to see but―”

“I’d love that, Tyler,” I said interrupting him.

“Great,” he said giving me a grin. “Um, so whenever you’re free just let me know and I’ll show you around.”

“I’m free whenever. Even right now if you want. I know you have your friends here and everything, but―”

“Now’s fine,” said Tyler. “Guys, I’ll catch up with you later,” he said to his friends. They nodded their okay and then Tyler and I were walking out of the small coffee shop/restaurant.

“Whose car do you want to take?” he asked.

“Let’s take mine,” I offered. “My gas tank is full.” I gestured to my car and I thought Tyler’s eyes would fall out of his head.

“This is your car?!” he said in astonishment.

“Yeah,” I shrugged.

“You Italians and your cars,” he muttered under his breath. If I had been human, I wouldn’t have heard it.

“I’ll let you drive,” I said tossing him the keys. I then walked around and got in the passenger seat. Tyler climbed in quickly afterwards and started the car. Pulling out of the lot I smiled victoriously to myself.

“What are you smiling about?” Tyler asked me, glancing over at me.

“Just amazed that I got the best looking guy in our school to show me around town,” I lied. Tyler grinned to himself. Tyler drove us towards the edge of town. On the way Tyler tried to ask me questions. I got annoyed with them and just compelled him to stop asking me questions.

“Where are we going?” I asked with confusion. I didn’t think he’d take me to the edge of town. It was best for what I was going to do but I didn’t think he’d take me there on his own free will.

“To the cemetery,” he said. “A lot of the town’s history is there. It’s also where my deceased grandfather rests. He helped found the town,” Tyler boasted proudly. We drove the rest of the way in silence.

Once we got there Tyler expertly parked the car and then got out. I willingly followed. I pretended to shiver in the cold and Tyler wrapped a protective arm around me. I inhaled his scent deeply and loved the way it smelled.

Tyler steered us into the cemetery towards the older part. Once there he stopped in front of his grandfather’s tombstone. “This is him,” he said gesturing to it. “What do you think?”

“I think it’s boring,” I said admitting the truth.

“Boring?” said Tyler in disbelief. “It’s my family’s and this town’s history. How can it be boring?” He pulled his arm off me and turned to look at me.

“Because I’m not interested in your grandfather. I’m interested in you,” I said blatantly.

“Is that how it is?” asked Tyler stepping closer to me. His tall frame towered over me. He was completely confidant he could take me. If only he knew.

I suddenly grabbed his jacket and pulled him too me. I attached my lips to his and he responded eagerly. His tongue forced its way into my mouth and danced around. Honestly he was not the best kisser. I’ve had way better.

I pulled away from the kiss and started kissing his neck. “You might want to take off your jacket,” I said. Tyler obeyed as I continued to kiss his neck. Once his jacket was off I allowed my fangs to extend and my face change.

Suddenly I was knocked backwards a few feet. I fell onto the ground and I was majorly pissed. Who dared to interrupt me, especially when I was about to feed. That was like signing your death certificate.

Getting up quickly I noticed Stefan standing near Tyler. Tyler was yelling at him and was about to hit him. Stefan, being the good Samaritan, tried to appease Tyler and convince him it was for the best. Tyler was not buying it.

“Boys, boys, boys,” I said walking in between them. I pushed both of them back with a slight push. It wasn’t hard at all. “There’s no need to argue here.”

“But he practically attacked you!” shouted Tyler, enraged. Sighing I turned to Tyler and compelled him.

“Forget you were here. You drove me around town and then I ditched you. Leave the cemetery, go back to your car, and go home.” I stopped compelling him and then Tyler turned around and started walking out of the cemetery.

“You’re going to let him walk all that way?” said Stefan. I shrugged.

“Why not? He was just supposed to be lunch.” Stefan shook his head in disgust.

“I can’t believe you,” he said. “The way you treat them is like they’re inferior to you. You were human once too!”

“Stefan, I really don’t need the whole you’re a bad vampire spiel right now,” I said waving a hand to cast it away. “I’m hungry and you rudely interrupted my meal.”

“You were going to kill him!” argued Stefan.

“No, no I was not. I was going to let him go with no memory of the encounter. But now that you interrupted he just might die,” I threatened.

“No,” said Stefan forcefully. “I won’t let you kill him.” He stepped forward as if to stop me.

“Oh?” I said faking surprise. “Are you going to stop me? Or are you just willing to take his place?” I saw Stefan pale at that last part. I stepped forward also so that Stefan and I were almost touching. “Him or you? It’s your decision, Stefan.”

Stefan stood there with his gaze locked on mine for a few minutes. Luckily as vampires we didn’t need to move or be any hurry to get somewhere. “Me,” said Stefan finally.

“You’d really sacrifice yourself for that lowly human?” I asked. “Stefan, I must say I am surprised. I was not expecting to find you so…pathetic.”

Stefan merely stared at me in defiance. With a lightning fast hand I lashed out and grabbed his throat. I lifted him a few inches off the ground and watched as he struggled. I changed my face and exposed my fangs. Stefan writhed about trying to break free.

“It’s useless, you know. Trying to break free. You’re too weak. I could have you right here, right now.” I pulled him closer to me. My fangs were centimeters from his throat. “I could kill you,” I whispered knowing he’d hear me just fine. I pressed my lips to his throat.

I then let him drop to the ground. He fell but then quickly got up, scrambling to his feet. He glared at me on his feet. His muscles tensed for a fight and his own fangs exposed. “Stefan, I don’t want to fight you,” I confessed. “I want things the way they used to be.” My voice had almost a hypnotic effect on him and he relaxed a bit.

“I don’t want to have to fight you, Stefan. I want us to be friends, to be together. I could show you how to be powerful and live the life!” I said. Stefan then seemed to almost wake up from a dream.

“I never wanted that,” said Stefan. “I don’t want Power. I want to be normal. I don’t want to be a monster, a vampire.”

“I don’t understand,” I said shaking my head. “I don’t get how you do it. How you can stand to let the emotions flow through you. How you can resist the urge. You’re stronger than you think, Stefan.” With those as parting words I disappeared into the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah no more chapters starting with H. Not really feeling it anymore. And plus I like to change things up. Poor Tyler. Just used and abused. And Stefan, always so noble.

It's nice that we get to see the more caring side of Juliet sometimes. Just in small glimpses. Most of the time she's a bitch. But remember, everyone has a story.

I feel like no one really loves my story. Please I want feedback. I want to know if you like where this is going or if you don't. Do you think I should keep writing or just call it quits with this one?

And you can always comment to tell me to fix my grammar or spelling. I know it's not always perfect and I would like to try and make it that way.

Another song. Thanks for reading. Love you guys :)