Status: Joint Story

The Sun Makes Shadows

Explanations & Accidents

Matt POV-

“Val, I’ll go after her.” I told my wife before charging after Nyaa. I found myself in the park across the street.

“He was lying.”

I saw Nyaa on one of the swings, a stricken look on her face. The whole incident worried me, for if she couldn’t remember…

“Nyaa?” I said softly, kneeling in front of her. “Are you okay?”

“He was lying.” She told me, looking into my eyes.

I hesitated, before grasping one of the chains on the swing. “He, he wasn’t. Val and I learned about your situation before we adopted you.”

“And you never told me?”

“Well, we thought that you just didn’t want to talk about it…”

“Huh. So is this why you don’t want to be my father? Besides not wanting kids, I’m a freak?”

“No, it’s not that at all.” I tried assuring her, but she didn’t seem in the mood to listen.

“Then what is it?” She yelled, standing up. Admittedly, I jumped. I was caught off guard, and didn’t expect that much rage.

“Well, I, uh…” I looked into her burning gaze and decided that I had to tell her. That there have been too many secrets, and it was time to reveal them.

I stood up, sat her down on the swing, (though she didn’t go down willingly, and I have a scratch to prove it) and I began to push her. “You see…I had a little sister.” I began, feeling the memories pour out of me. “We were really close, and I took a lot of responsibility for her. I made her breakfast, and saw that she got to school every morning. I made her lunch and took her to the park. We always had loads of fun. My family was great.” I felt a tight knot form in my heart.

“But then one day my mother had an affair with another man. His name was Damien. My father left us, and my mother was heartbroken. She sort of…disappeared. She would go to work and then come home drunk. My father saw us on weekends, and helped to pay for stuff that my mother couldn’t. When my mother realized that he wouldn’t take her back, she began to see Damien more and more. We learned a couple of things about him after that time.

“He liked to hit people, anyone really. And, he was a dangerous drug dealer. One day, my mother refused to give him money for drugs. She said that it was enough, and she broke up with him. My sister was twelve at the time, and I was barely seventeen. Damien left the house without complaint. But the next morning he…he…came back and stayed in his car, waiting. We didn’t know that he was there. When my sister went out to wait at the bus stop, he hit her with his car. At least, that’s what I was told. I was working at the time, a couple of hours before school and a couple of hours after school. My mother and I were told that it was a hit and run, that it was an accident. But my father knew better. He had detectives investigate. Of course, they had a million other cases. So, after ten long years…we finally learned the truth. I’m assuming that my father is happy…”

After telling her the whole story I realized that my eyes were burning and my face was wet. I touched my face and found that there were tears. “Marley meant a lot to me.”

“So that’s why you couldn’t love me? Because of your sister? You had years to cope with this, and you’re just dealing with it now?!” She yelled, jumping off of the swing. She glared at me.

“Nyaa, I am so sorry.”

“I don’t want to hear it!” She ran away from me, toward the street.

“No, wait!” I called, running after her.

She didn’t listen to me. Of course she didn’t listen to me. What did I expect? Acting like a deadbeat towards a nice girl like her. As a daughter, she was way more than I deserved. She was right though, I should have dealt with this earlier. But I didn’t…and this is what I got.

I watched in horror as she got to the street. Val stood at the entrance of the clinic, looking shocked. A car was driving at frightening speed toward Nyaa. It was going to hit her!

“Nyaa!” I gasped, finally catching up to her. I grabbed her around the waist and tossed her toward the safe side of the road, out of dangers way. I felt relieved that she was out of danger.

Then I realized something.

I was in danger.

The car there, right in me vision.

Slam

My world went dark

Nyaa’s POV

When he explained the story I became angry. I didn’t know why I didn’t feel pity but it wasn’t in me. I had lost my grandma but didn’t shut Val out. I had given them a chance and that was more than Matt deserved yet here he was telling me his story and he expected me to understand?!

I jumped up and ignored his shouts. I wanted far away from him and fast. Running I didn’t notice the cars driving so fast.

When I did however I was grabbed around the waist and tossed off to the side. I groaned in pain as I hit the hard pavement below me. I looked up in a daze and saw Matt had thrown me out of the way. He had a look of relief on his features but I turned and noticed something just as he did.

I went to scream but nothing came out; it was too late anyway.

Crash.

I could hear the tires skid as the driver tried to stop. Metal and flesh met in a sick sound no one should hear. A blood curling scream was heard as I notice Val run towards the street. I saw another person pull out their cell phone. I stayed in my spot; frozen and unsure of what to do.
___
I sat in the waiting room next to Val. She was sobbing into her hands as Brian and her sister tried to comfort her. Jimmy and Zacky were beside me trying to do the same but I wasn’t having it. I just stared forward and remained quiet.

All I kept thinking is I had caused this; I had caused Val this pain of watching her husband nearly die. He still could die and it would be my fault; I would be a murderer. I would’ve have killed the only man I could’ve called dad because even though he wasn’t much of one I didn’t know my real one.

I didn’t know if I loved Matt or not but I did know I didn’t want him to die. Please god, don’t let him die.
♠ ♠ ♠
The end

Yeah I know but there’s a sequel coming soon. Over 30 of u have subscribed to it already O_O
:D

If you haven’t click here to do so ;P I just made it easy for you.

I was thinking of changing the name to the sequel. It’s now titled; There's No Dark Without Light but it might be changed to The Light Makes Dark so it sounds more like this title. What do you guys think?

Geez this story went amazing; we weren’t expecting so many people to love this but you all did and we thank you for reading and enjoying!

Comment!
-Neche