Sequel: Chasing Claudia
Status: FIN... again!

Goth & Donut

Date Night With JMFJ

I drove back from the rink after a good class with my students. In the past several months, these kids love me. Maybe it’s because I’m Canadian or how I don’t look like some plastic girl from The Hills, but I’m glad they’re enjoying themselves. My aunt Audrey and her daughters went to the mall to buy some clothes for their upcoming vacation to Mexico. My father’s younger sister and her three daughters have been living in California around the same time my mother was diagnosed with cancer. She divorced her husband after finding out he was sleeping around with some barely legal intern and had to give nearly $5 million US dollars to Audrey as a settlement. She works as a producer on E! and takes pride of what she does. Her daughters; Charlotte, Raquel, and Giana-Grace or as I like to call them Charlie, Rocky, and Gigi, are like my little sisters. At fifteen, eleven, and seven, they are very smart and funny girls.

Life in California has been a nice change of pace. It’s not every day you live near the beach yet work at a rink. I remember the message my old coach left me that night in Toronto. She told me that Frank Carroll, the man who coached one of my idols Michelle Kwan, was willing to give me an apprenticeship for a few months. She told him that I was very good at working with the kids at the rink and would spark an interest in coaching. I know being a competitive skater is gone with my body changes and bad knee but giving me that opportunity, especially with all the skaters Frank coached, is something I can’t pass up. So that evening I packed up as much as I can and drove nearly 2500 miles to El Segundo to meet up with Frank. What started out a few weeks turned into an actual job I know had for the past 6 months.

As for school, I took the semester off but managed to transfer my credits to UCLA, in which I will start attending at the end of August. Even though I may have a great new job, I don’t want to forget my education. My parents would roll on their graves if I decided to abandon my education.

I looked to my watch and realize I need to take a shower and get ready. For the first time since moving out here in January, I had a date. I haven’t spoken to Drew since coming to LA. With the new job and adjusting of living here full time, I haven’t had time to give him a call. I felt bad for avoiding him, especially after what happened, but I needed to sort my life out first. I met this guy the other day at some smoothie shop down the street. He was your typical cute California boy; blonde hair, big green eyes, has this goofy but cute smile. I’m surprised a California guy would ask me out at a smoothie shop while wearing a Hello Kitty shirt.

After putting on my clothes, I answered the door to see my date here.

“Well hello.” I smiled as I let my date in. “You’re a little early, John.”

“Call me Jack. I’m glad you appreciate that, Janelle.” He gave me a bouquet of flowers to put it into a vase. “So anywhere you want to go?”

“I’m hungry! Just anywhere will do!” I grabbed my keys and head out the door with Jack.

After a great dinner, we drove to a bowling alley nearby to have a few rounds of bowling. Jack’s a funny guy, telling me about stories of attending college at Michigan. He is planning to transfer his credits to USC.

I went over to the soda machine to grab a few drinks for us. However, the second drink had trouble coming down. I reached down to try to grab it when some guy came by the soda machine.

“Are you going to get it out anytime soon?” A very familiar voice ringed through my ear. I was scared to look up and see if my ears weren’t playing tricks with me. “I’m trying to get a Diet Coke if you don’t mind.” I remembered a bit of the past at that moment. Those were almost the exact same words I told Drew the first time I met him. “You mind?” When I looked up, I saw him.

“Goth Princess?” Drew’s face became very pale.

“Donut? What are you doing here?”

“I was asking the same thing. I was wondering when you are going to tell me you’re in town.”

“Listen Drew, I’m---”

“Drew, I see you met my date.” Jack came over to see what was going on. I looked at Jack, wondering the same thing. “Janelle, why are you giving me that face?”

“Wait, you’re on a date with Jack?” Drew became more disgusted.

“What is going on? Drew? Jack?”

“Janelle? Drew?” Jack asked and then figured it out. “No way. That’s the Janelle from Canada you were sulking about?” He asked Drew.

“You guys are teammates?” I hit the soda machine as the second bottle of Coke came down.

At the end of the night, Jack left me at the stairs of my aunt’s house. The rest of the date, Jack, Drew, their teammate Wayne, and I were playing a round of bowling, ending whatever privacy I’ve had with Jack. While Jack and I won that round, the date was basically ruined.

“Sorry about what happened earlier.” Jack grabbed my hand as we were looking at the door.

“No worries. Shit happens.” I smiled as Jack leaned over and placed a kiss on my cheek.

“Don’t mean to ask but why don’t you pursue something with Drew? He’s been a mess that the past several months. Even when he went to Europe for the World Championships, he was a sad puppy. It’s very obvious that you like him.”

“We’re just friends.”

“Please talk to him.” Jack kissed my forehead before stepping away. “Good night.” I watched as Jack walked away, wondering if I shouldn’t hide anymore from Drew.
♠ ♠ ♠
Characters
Audrey Bedard
Charlotte "Charlie Bedard
Raquel "Rocky" Bedard
Giana-Grace "Gigi" Bedard

(quick warning, next chapter does contain some adult content)