Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

Uncertain Terms

"I can't believe you called him! I'm so embarrassed!" I yelled at Brianne.

"Come on, you know you wanted to talk to him."

"Not when I was hammered. If I'm going to talk to him it's going to be on my own sober terms."

"Fine, fine." she put up her hands. "I'm sorry. But at least he's planning on calling you today right? That's a good thing."

"I guess. I'm not really sure what we're going to talk about though. I'm not even sure that I want to talk to him. It would have been easier to just wait until he comes home."

We sat in my living room with the silence between us growing.

"Then don't answer his phone call. Talk to him on your own terms."

"I can't do that. I'm not a bitch like you."

She laughed off my comment and continued channel surfing. As if on que, my phone began ringing. I stared at the number on the caller ID for a few moments before walking into my bedroom and answering.

"Hi Spencer."

"Hi Piper. How are you?" His voice never sounded so alluring. I didn't think that speaking to him would make my stomach jump the way it did.

"I'm fine. How are you? How's Vegas?" My voice probably sounded like I felt, self-conscious. It was like we had gone back to square one. All of those special little moments we spent together flew out the window and I wasn't sure how to act with him anymore. I wanted to pretend like he never said that he wanted to stop seeing me, but it was impossible to shake the thought from my mind.

"It's good to be home for a bit. I'm enjoying the time with my mom, talking to some friends from when I was young." He paused. "I miss you, though. I uh.... I didn't think I would as much as I do." He sounded as nervous as I did.

"I miss you too. I'm glad you're having a good vacation."

"It wasn't what I was expecting. I wanted to come home and not focus on anything work related, but I can't help but constantly think about the BAU."

"What does that mean?" Hopefully he would be coming back soon.

"That I need to spend more time here. I can't possibly be this obsessed with my job, it doesn't seem right."

"Oh, well, I hope you find what you're looking for." I said. He was quiet.

"Why are you doing that?"
I immediately blushed and brought a hand to my cheek to cover the redness.

"Doing what?... What?" I said the last word with complete confusion.

"Speaking to me like.. like we've never met before. We're still friends, or at least I thought we were. I didn't think me leaving would make you feel so uncomfortable."

"I'd love to still be friends but I mean... think about it from my point of view. Here we are getting along great and everything, and then you just run off without much of an explanation.
I obviously understand that you had a lot of stress to take care of, but it's still a little unnerving for me to shoved off to the side while you take care of your issues."

"I thought you understood why I left."

"I did. I do... I just wish you could have spoken to me a little more before you left. I thought we could have... well I don't know what I thought." I lied.

"You thought we could have been a lot more than just friends." He called out my lie.

"I guess." I took a seat on my hard wood floor in defeat.

"I thought so too. Maybe when I get back we can start over?"

"Maybe. I guess we'll just figure it out then."

"I don't want you holding this grudge over me. Please, tell me that we'll at least remain friends."

"We will. I promise."

"Alright. Well I've got to go, but I promise I'll call you sometime soon."

"Ok. Bye Spence."

"Bye."
He hung up sounding very regretful. I tossed my phone onto my bed and collapsed my head into my hands. What was I getting myself into?

Brianne walked into the room and sat down on the floor next to me.

"You've fallen really hard for him."

"Yeah, I have." I tucked my head in between my knees and exhaled deeply. Brianne rubbed my back softly.

"You've never liked anyone like you like him." She was being very blunt today, I noticed.

"Can we stop? I don't want to talk about Spencer. Let's go get lunch."

XXXXXX

"I love you."

"I love you too. I'll call you once I get home. Tell your Dad thanks for letting me use the plane."

"Will do. Thanks for coming out this weekend." I embraced Brianne in a deep hug before she left for the terminal. After only two steps she whipped around and crashed back into my arms. She managed a combination of laughing and crying. I did as well.

"That wasn't so graceful." I said to her after she pulled back.

"I don't care. It's so hard to leave." She shook her head and wiped her nose. "You need to skype more, I don't like not being able to see you."

"I don't like skype. I don't like being on the computer when I don't have to be."

"For me?" she pouted. I rolled my eyes and hugged her again.

"Fine. Because you're my bestie."
Brianne laughed and kissed my cheek before actually walking into the terminal.

Driving away from the airport was difficult knowing that there was no one at my house to keep me company. I never knew that living alone was so... so lonely. Luckily, my mind was taken from the thought of Spencer over the past few days and it was becoming easier to stop thinking about him all together. I didn't really know what would happen when he came home. We said we would start over, but I doubted that it was possible to do so. We were both too analytical when it came to things like that. Knowing us, we would over think everything and end up more confused than before.

My phone started ringing as I was driving.

"Can you come into the office?" Hotch's voice was serious. There was a new case.

"Right now?"

"Yes."

"Well I'm in sweatpants."

"That's fine, it's just the team."

"Be there in fifteen."
He hung up without a good bye. I was used to that by now.

I walked into the meeting feeling out of place.

"I didn't get the sweatpants memo." Derek said from his seat. I collapsed into a chair and pulled my shirt down over my pants, trying to hide them.

"I was at the airport. Sorry." I dragged out my last word and stuck my tongue out at Derek. His hand darted out for my tongue but I sucked it back into my mouth before he could grab it. We really were like siblings.

"You better watch yourself." He smirked. Hotch watched us bicker with a slight smile before he turned serious.

"Morgan. Aigen. Compose yourselves please."
I shrank back in my chair feeling defeated. Hotch began debriefing me on the case.

After the meeting was over, I headed to the computer room while the others gathered their things to leave. I was beginning to realize just how alone I was in this city. Every few days my friends would leave to go solve murders, and while I was always in connection with them, there was no one near me to talk to. I shrugged and let the thoughts slip from my mind. I had to stop thinking about things like that if I was going to survive this job.

"Piper, go home for now. Our flight won't land for a few hours, so just come back in early tomorrow." Hotch spoke from the doorway.

"Will do." I said, rising.
Hotch patted my back as I walked from the room yawning.

"And get some sleep." He added with a smile.

"Will do." I repeated my words.
♠ ♠ ♠
soo this chapters kind of short, please forgive me. thanks so much for reading/subscribing/commenting =]