Angel, Put Me Back Together Again

Self Control

Franks POV

I stood on the front porch with my fist raised ready to knock. I had been standing like this for God knows how long. I don't know the last time I stood on this door step, let alone knock instead of letting myself in. I couldn't chicken out now, but I couldn't bring myself to make contact with the wooden door.

The other day Christine had convinced me that I should talk to Gerard. In person. Gerard and I had exchanged texts and phone calls here and there but that dwindled to nothing after awhile. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bitter about Gerard and Angela. They practically had a summer fling, all the while I was feeling sorry for myself at home. Gerard has apologized and explained to me on more than one occasion that she wasn't the same person anymore. I knew that from experience. After the accident, she changed. I don't just mean because she couldn't remember me but her attitude. I don't know if it's because she doesn't remember the life she had before, but she was much more independent. That would a usually be a good thing, but she just seemed so calloused by the time she left. She used Gerard and I was almost nonexistent. Was this even the girl I wanted to see anymore? I couldn't change my mind now. Before I talked to her, I needed to clear things up here.

I took a deep breath and lifted my hand once more to knock on the door. Before I had a chance, I saw it swing open with a startled Gerard behind it.

"Frank?" He asked like he wasn't sure of what he was seeing. I noticed he had a suitcase in his hand. Suitcase? He also seemed more... clean I guess is the right word. More professional looking.

"Yeah. Hi. I wasn't stalling. I mean, I was just getting ready to knock... obviously. Sorry, I mean.... can we talk?" I felt ridiculous stumbling over my words.

"Can we talk?" He repeated as he glanced at the screen of his phone. "I've got some time." He didn't sound mad or confused, which was odd. He seemed to be in a hurry though. He stepped aside allowing me through the door. I hesitated before walking past him into the house. I stood awkwardly as he came back inside. I followed him to the kitchen where he sat down at the dining room table. I sat across from him and folded my hands across the top of the well worn wood. He glanced at his phone one more time before turning his attention to me. I cleared my throat but didn't say anything for a minute. This already wasn't going the way I thought it would. It was definitely awkward, but there was really none of the tension I was expecting. After a few more seconds of silence, and two more glances at his phone, Gerard sighed. "I don't want to rush you but I'm running behind --"

"I'm sorry." I finally blurted out, interrupting him.

"Sorry?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry. For everything. I'm sorry the way all of this shit turned out. We used to be best friends...I mean ... we still are. I don't know. I've just been through a lot of shit the past few months. Things got way out of hand with ..."

"Angela?" He offered.

"... Yes. With Angela." I didn't continue for a minute. I was too busy trying to gauge his reaction. Either he had a great poker face, or he really didn't care to have this talk right now. I wasn't sure where else to take the conversation. I was honestly just rambling the first thing that came to my head. It was sort of pointless that I even tried planing out this conversation. I ran my hands through my hair and sighed. "I really do forgive you about... everything, but that doesn't mean I can just forget it ever happened."

"I know." He said plainly.

"Yeah?"

"Well I mean... you didn't try to punch me when I opened the door." He wasn't trying to be sarcastic.

"Right... sorry about that too."

"Is there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

"Oh... where are you in such a hurry?" I furrowed my eyebrows. I guess I should just get to the point.

"I have an appointment with a Dark Horse Comics representative in New York. They're looking at some of my stuff." It was strange how business like he could be. I had never really seen this side of him, pretty much the entire time I have known him.

"Wow... Gerard that's amazing. Congrats, man."

"Thanks. Listen... I don't want to rush you off but--"

"No, it's fine. I should have called." We both stood up from the table and after a brief moment, he made his way back to the front door, me following behind him sheepishly. He opened the door and motioned me out first. He quickly shut the door behind him and walked over to his car, just glancing over his shoulder at me.

"I'll catch you when I'm back in town. Then we can talk." He said as he threw his suitcase in the passenger seat. He started to walk to the drivers side but I quickly threw out the one thing I actually came here to talk about."

"I'm going to see Angela."

He stopped with one leg in the door and looked at me. His eyes narrowed and suddenly I wondered if we were actually ok.

"When?"

"This weekend."

"Does she know?" He seemed more anxious by this news than he was about missing his appointment.

"No." I was hoping his wasn't going to ask to come. I had to do this by myself. She would be home eventually to see everyone. To my surprise, he laughed and shook his head.

"Good luck with that."

"What so funny? Gerard, I have to see her."

"Frank she wasn't the same girl when she left. What makes you think she hasn't changed even more now that she's been gone for so long?"

"She wouldn't just forget everyone back home."

"When's the last time you talked to her? Cause I sure as hell haven't heard from her in months."

"She'll change her mind when she sees me." I was definitely getting pissed now. This brought another chuckle from Gerard.

"You're still the bullheaded Frank you've always been."

"I love her. I can't just give up without a fight."

"Well you're going to get your heart broken. Trust me... Now I really have to go. I'll see you when I get back." With that he climbed the rest of the way in the car and took no time speeding out of the driveway and out of sight.

I groaned and walked back over to my car. That didn't go how I expected it at all. As I slumped into the drivers seat I pulled my phone out from my pocket. I dialed Christine's number and waited for her to answer. When it finally went to voicemail I sighed and hit end, tossing my phone in the passenger seat. I drove back to my house and found her car still in front of the house. She just have fallen asleep or something. I entered the house through the side door, pulling my jacket off as I went.

"Christine?" I called out to her as I threw my jacket over the back of the dining room table. She didn't answer. I walked down the hall to my room. The door was slightly open and I could see her lying on the bed with her back to me. I quietly pushed the door open the rest of the way as walked over to the bed, crawling in beside her. "Hey" I whispered and started to shake her awake when I noticed she was already lying there with her eyes open and the pillow streaked with mascara. I I panicked at first but she looked at me and let out a shaky sigh.

"Hey." She croaked.

"Jesus Christine. You scared the shit out of me. What's wrong? Why didn't you answer me?" I grabbed her shoulder and turned her toward me. She sniffled and flipped over so we were facing each other.

"I was kicked out of the grad program. I got fired."

"What? Why?" I sighed a little with relief. I was afraid it was going to be her ex Matt or something. I wasn't really expecting that.

"Matt contacted my department chair and told him you and I were sleeping together. They confirmed it when they checked my address change. He just had to fuck me over one last time..." Tears began streaking down her face again. I reached up and brushed them away, wiping off some of her streaked mascara as well.

"Fuck him. We'll get you another job. You want me to kick his ass?"

"No offense Frank, but he's got at least a foot and 50 pounds on you." She chuckled a little but quickly went back to sniffling. I sighed and pulled her toward me, resting her head on my chest. I rubbed her back as she took in shaky breaths, trying to calm down again. I wasn't sure if what it as doing was a good idea, but it's the only one I had. I placed my hand under her chin to look at me.

"Come to California with me."

"Frank... I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why? You could help me if things get bad, plus it gets you out of here for awhile."

"What would Angela think?" Though we had this understanding that we were going to be just friends, sometimes it was still hard to deal with for both of us. Especially for Christine. She sounded a little hurt when she asked me about Angela. I ignored the guilty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I really did care about Christine and the time that we had spent together these past few weeks had made it that much harder for me to stick to my own word, but I also knew that the moment I saw Angela, I wouldn't want anything else. I didn't want to get involved with someone, especially Christine if I knew I could salvage what Angela and I had. I smirked at her.

"You'll always be one of my best friends, Christine. Angela will understand that. I want you to be there with me, no matter what."

"I'll go." She gave me a weak smile and nodded. I hesitated before leaning over to her and kissing her forehead. I felt her stiffen up for a moment before relaxing back into my chest. We held on to each other, neither one of us daring to look at the other again. I was aware of my feelings that I had in this moment, but I just had to hold out for a few more days.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's a little late, but I was busy with some other stuff. Better late than never though :). Anyway, feedback is always appreciated. Cheers.