Sequel: Wish You Were Here
Status: Completed

Katastrophic Breakdown

The Day Before

I wake up the morning of the day before the talent show and look over and down the railing of the bed onto Scott's which is now empty. I climbed down on to Scott's bed and dropped down to the floor. As i start getting ready to go take a shower, I look out the window and saw Annabeth and Scott talking and waiting outside for me. I open the window " How come you didnt wake me up?!" I yelled. Scott just smiled as Annabeth blushed. I looked down and realized that i wasn't wearing a shirt or pants..just my boxers. I quickly closed the blinds as Scott laughed really loudly. When I got done with the shower I got dressed and went outside to meet up with Scott and Annabeth. As we walked toward school, Reese caught up with us and Scott told him about my embarrasment. Annabeth blushed again as she thought about this morning. I just put my hood up over my head and walked faster towards the school. I was looking down at the ground until I looked up and almost ran into some guy with a camera " oh, I'm sorry" I said, but he said nothing as i realized they were doing a live broadcast. The Sign on the side said Fuse T.V. Great, their here covering the talent show cuz Bullet's here. " Good morning Tim, I'm here at Mt. Pleasant High School where the talent show that is held to find fresh new talent and put them on stages at well known music festivals, is being held. Usually at the judges table they have the names that made rock and roll what it is today, but at the judges table this time is a band that is part of the "Metal-core" group. Their names...BFMV" and then the screen she was watching herself on cut to a video of her voice and information and interviews she got earlier, I wasn't paying attention to it, and apparently neither were my friends as they continued to walk past and into school, and the camera caught them just as they walked past the reporter when it cut back to her. " As you just saw Tim, Bullet is very excited to judge this talent show and they expect this years contestants to be worth watching." she paused as she waited for Tim to ask her a question "Tim, I interviewed a couple of students and the majority say that Suicidal Silence is going to win the spots in the shows with the old songs they like to play, like Styx and Boston and turn them into their own metal songs. However, I asked around the school, Staff and the minority of the school and they say that there's another band that will win the spots, Katastrophic Breakdown." She stops as another video pops up with her voice as a narrator with interviews of minority students such as the kids who dont fit in anywhere or the staff members who like our original songs and the covers that we keep the same as they were written.
I looked up at the school and realized there were only a couple of people left outside who were hurrying into school. I ran past the reporter as the camera came back on to the reporter and caught me on recording.

I had to sprint to Forensic Science class so as to not be late. I made it just as the final bell rang and slipped down in my seat next to Annabeth. She smiled and took out her phone and waved it back and forth slightly. I didn't know what she meant until i felt my phone vibrate. I took it out and read the text message that Annabeth sent me " Thx for last nite". I smiled and put my phone away. I looked at her and said " No problem, gotta look out for my friends". She smiled and went back to work and so did I until there was a voice that came on over the intercom. "Teachers, will you please send all the talent show contestants down to the auditorium for final day practice. Thank You"
Me and Annabeth stood up and walked out the door with our stuff and met up with Matt, Reese and Scott who all had their first hour together.
As we walked in to the auditorium, we froze as we saw the seats full of contestants, all the seats except for our five seats. When we sat down the principal and BFMV walked out on stage.
" Now that everyone is here, we would like to tell you that this is not about rules or anything like that. just a final practice and sound check cuz your not gonna be able to get a sound check before the show. Now that that's settled, we put the name of each band in this hat, whichever band name is pulled will practice first with everyone watching. Padge, please do the honors" Padge walked up to our principal and put his hand in the bucket. He smiled at us and continued to pull the piece of paper out of the bucket. If the entire auditorium hand't been so star struck, we could have gotten our asses kicked for knowing Bullet on a personal level.
Padge unfolded the paper and smiled as he read aloud " Katastrophic Breakdown" ohhhh...joy. I sighed and got up with the rest of my band and jumped up on stage, not bothering to use the stairs to climb up on. We set up everything and made sure we had everything we needed..until something came to mind. I walked over to the principal and the judges. " Do we have to perform the song we're going to play first for the talent show?" Padge and my dad smiled as did the rest of the band. "Sure Drew, go for it." I smiled and told the stage people that we needed a keyboard. While they did that I filled the group in on the rest of the plan. "Look, we already know the songs we're gonna play for the talent show, their our own songs, sooo we're going to play a cover." Scott made a strangled look on his face " What are we gonna play for a cover?" he asked. "Something by Styx, I'll let you know when i go to say it in the mic." My friends didnt like the spontaneous idea of me telling them when i told the audience but they'd get over it. When the stage managers brought the keyboard in, I set it up and told Reese to go play the keyboard.
I walked up to the mic and spoke to the audience " Hi, we're Katastrophic Breakdown..though you guys already knew that." "Get On With IT!" someone yelled and the auditorium erupted in laughter. I waited for them to calm down and finally when they did i told them what song we were playing " The Song we're playing now is called Renegade by Styx." I looked back at my band and waited for Matt to turn on his mic so he can sing with me later.
I count to four and start the song without any music

Oh Mama, I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law
Law man has put an end to my running and I'm so far from my home
Matt starts to sing with me as an accapella

Oh mama I can hear you cryin'. you're so scared and all alone.
hangman is comin' down from the gallows and I don't have very long.

"YEAHHHH" Reese yells and the instruments are played as I sing

The jig is up, the news is out
They finally found me
The renegade who had it made
Retrieved for a bounty
Never more to go astray
This'll be the end today
Of the wanted man

Oh Mama, I've been years on the lam and had a high price on my head
Lawman said 'Get him dead or alive' and it's for sure he'll see me dead
Dear Mama I can hear you cryin', you're so scared and all alone
Hangman is comin' down from the gallows and I don't have very long

The jig is up, the news is out
They finally found me
The renegade who had it made
Retrieved for a bounty
Never more to go astray
The judge'll have revenge today
On the wanted man

while everyone is keeping their rythym for the song, I start going crazy on the guitar playing a solo I haven't played a long time. When I look backstage, I see my father and Padge smiling and giving me a thumbs up. At the end of the solo, Matt and Reese sing the next two lines of the song without me.

Oh Mama, I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law
hangman is comin' down from the gallows and i don't have very long

The jig is up, the news is out
They finally found me
The renegade who had it made
Retrieved for a bounty
Never more to go astray
This'll be the end today
Of the wanted man
The Wanted Man~
and after the vocals end its just instruments until Scott and I end the song. We quickly walk backstage with our instruments and set them on stands back stage. As we're getting congratulations I realize the band after us is Suicide Silence and I quiet everyone as they get ready to play.
♠ ♠ ♠
ugh, good thing i finished this chapter this time, last time i finished it, Mibba had logged me out so it didnt save it. and it was actually more detailed than this one. oh well, at least its done, thanks to all the readers who read my story. i'll have more soon