Glitter

Chapter 4

I woke the next morning with sore eyes and an even sorer back. Sleeping in a tub was not something I was planning on doing in the near future. It really sucked.

Climbing out of the tub I quickly used the toilet before walking out of the bathroom. When I walked out I saw that Max was no where to be found. His clothes were gone and for a split second I thought that maybe he’d left me. Then I found the note.

Regan,
I decided to leave you the room for the day. Bud is going to come and pick you up when the car is finished. If you want to come earlier Bud’s mother, the woman in the office, said that she’d bring you down around noon. I guess I’ll see you later.
Max


I sighed and put the letter back down. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was almost noon and I really didn’t feel like sitting around here all day. I changed into a tank top and jeans before sliding my feet into my VANS. I outlined my eyes with eyeliner and pulled on a couple of bracelets, popped an Oxy and grabbed my bag heading to the office.

When I walked in the old woman from the night before was sitting there reading a Danielle Steel novel. She looked up when I came in and smiled warmly at me.

“You’re Regan right?” she asked.

“Yes Ma’am.” I replied politely.

“I’m Caroline. That boy you were with…Maxwell told me that you might stop by. Do you need a ride up to the station?” she asked.

“Yes Ma’am.” I said again.

“Oh dear please call me Caroline. Now c’mon and I’ll give you a ride.” she said and pulled a set of keys from the wall.

I followed her out and waited while she locked up the office. Once it was locked we walked to the back of the hotel. Sitting back there was a pink Cadillac. My eyes went wide as we walked forward.

“You like hon? I got this back in 1970 and she still purrs like a kitten.” she said and the two of us climbed in.

“Yeah it’s awesome.” I replied.

We took off and reached the diner in a matter of minutes. I thanked Caroline and headed into the diner. I saw Max sitting by himself in one of the back booths reading a news paper wearing black jeans and a white skull t-shirt. Knowing that I’d have to face him sooner or later I’d decided to be civil toward him so I headed over.

As soon as I slid in he looked up at me a little surprised, “You’re here?” he asked.

“Where else was I supposed to go? The mall?” I replied.

He rolled his eyes, “No. What I mean is that you came earlier than I expected.” he replied.

Against my a snort escaped and he looked at me, “What?”

“That’s what she said.” I replied and dissolved in laughter.

Max smiled a little and shook his head and went back to the paper. I pulled my magazine from the night before and started reading it. A few silent moments passed before Max let out a sigh and shoved the paper away from him.

“Regan we need to talk.”

“I don’t want to talk Max.” I replied not looking up.

“Well then you listen and I’ll talk because we’ve got to get this shit out of the way. I’m sorry okay? I’m sorry that I wasn’t there for you when you needed me. I wish I’d been a better boyfriend to you…you deserved it. I-I didn’t know that you were in such a dark place.” he replied.

“Well I was. If you’d been around you would’ve seen that.” I said wiping the tears that had started as soon as he’d started to speak.

“I know. I should’ve told you that I was going on tour. I just…I didn’t know how to handle it. I knew that Riley was fucked up and wouldn’t be there for you and that you’re Dad was throwing everything he had into work but I couldn’t deal with it. You needed more than I had to give. I guess I hoped if I just left that you’d get over me and get on with your life.”

“News flash it didn’t happen.” I said with a bitter laugh.

“I know you don’t care but I miss you Regan. I miss how we used to be. Other than Ronnie you were my best friend. I want you back.”

“I do care Max more than you realize but…I can’t do this again. I can’t get hurt.” I replied.

Max nodded once and gave a sort of defeated sigh before sliding out of the booth. His footsteps heavily trailed against the tile and a moment later the little bell above the door rang and I knew he’d gone outside. I let out a shaky sigh before putting my head down on the table and willing myself not to cry.

“Regan?” a voice asked a few moments later.

I looked up and saw Jessie standing there with a small smile and two plates of food, “Oh. Hey Jessie.” I said with a weak smile.

Jessie slid into Max’s empty spot and sat a plate with a burger and fries on it in front of me and one in front of herself, “Lunch on the house.” she smiled and took a bite of her burger.
Today her blond, pink and blue hair was pulled back into a ponytail and she wore a tight pink t-shirt, black shorts and knee high Converse with a glitter covered heart on a chain around her neck that looked homemade.

“Thanks.” I replied.

“So where’s Max?” she asked.

I shrugged, “Outside? Somewhere?” I asked.

“Oh. So I don’t mean to pry or anything but I saw you and Max talking and it looked pretty emotional. Do you want to talk about it?” she asked.

I sighed and before I knew what I was doing I had spilled everything to this girl despite the fact that I hardly knew her. She didn’t say a word the entire time just nodded and listened carefully. When I was done she gave a final nod and sighed.

“It sounds to me like you want him back just as much as he wants you.” she said with a little smile.

“I guess I do but-” and Jessie cut me off.

“No buts missy. Now I want you to get up out of this booth and go out there and find Max and tell him that you want him just as much as he wants you before I kick your ass.” she said looking at me sternly.

For some reason, even though she was about a foot shorter than me, I fully believed that Jessie would kick my ass. So I sighed and gave her a sharp glare that fell short and stood up.

“Good lucky hon.” she said and hugged me.

“Thanks.” I replied with a smile and headed outside.

I found Max with little searching. He was leaning against the wall of the diner a cigarette between his fingers and his head bent so that his dark hair curtained his face. As I walked forward he looked up, locking eyes with me for a moment before throwing the cigarette on the ground, stubbing it out and walking away.

“Max! Wait!” I yelled and walked after him but he just ignored me and continued walking, where I had no clue.

“Maxwell Scott Green will you fucking wait the hell up?!?” I yelled.

He stopped and turned to look at me, “What do you want Regan?” he spat.

“I want to talk to you like an adult dammit! However it’s a little hard to do that if you keep running the fuck off!” I replied with just as much venom.

“Fine you stopped me. Now what is so important? Haven’t you walked all over my heart enough for one day or do you want to pour a little salt in the wound? Maybe shove a knife in and twist it a little?” he asked.

“See? I told you, you were a drama queen! I guess it’s not the sunglasses that make you a prissy ass bitch it’s just your personality.” I smirked.

“This is what you wanted to talk about? You wanted to insult me?” he asked.

I sighed, “No. It’s a defense mechanism. You of all people should know that. I wanted to tell you…I want a second chance. Tell me you miss me again.” I replied.

“Why so you can tell me that you don’t want me again?” he asked.

“No Max so I can tell you that I miss you too. That you’re the only one that I’ve thought about since I broke up with you. That I regretted breaking up with you the moment that I hung up the phone. That…that I love you.” I replied my voice quiet and quivering.

“W-What did you say?” Max asked walking towards me.

“I love you.” I replied.

Max took my hands in his and brought them up to his lips. He pushed the bracelets that decorated my wrists and kissed the raised and scarred skin under them.

“You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting to hear you say that. I’m sorry for everything and I love you too.” he said looking at me his hands not letting go of mine.

Suddenly he let out a small laugh, “What?” I asked.

“C’mere.” he said and brought a hand up to my cheek, running his thumb over it softly.

When he pulled away I saw a small sparkle on the pad of his thumb. Glitter. Probably from when I’d hugged Jessie.

Without a word he pulled me close, “You had some glitter on your cheek.”

“Thanks.” I smiled.

“Welcome.” he replied his voice a whisper against my lips.

With that he pressed is lips against mine in a sweet and simple kiss. Just like glitter this boy stuck me everywhere I went. Even when I thought I’d gotten rid of him I found that somewhere a piece still lingered. However he was one speck of glitter I didn’t want to brush off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please review?

Max & Regan