Glitter

Chapter 5

The car was silent again as the lights of the Strip met us. However this time the silence wasn't the uncomfortable one that had filled the car earlier. No this one was a silence of the two of us enjoying one another's company. For the first time in 2 years Max and I were sitting within 5 feet of one another and weren't about to slit the other's throat.

Every once in a while I would see him look at me from the corner of his eye and smile at me. I'd smile back and he'd continue driving. Now we were back in Vegas. I smiled as the neon lights passed by as we drove. I'd missed this a lot. I'd grown up in Vegas and had always loved the lights.

"So...where do you want me to drop you off?" Max asked.

"You can drop me off at my Dad's." I replied.

"Does he know you're coming home?" he asked.

"Yeah I called him before I left Tuscon. We talk quite frequently. He wants to make sure that I'm okay." I said and he nodded.

"So do you talk to your brother much?" He asked after a few moments.

I didn't need to ask which one he was talking about. Even though I knew I had two brothers I knew he'd never ask about Riley. They weren't ever friends like that."

"No...not really. I write him sometimes but he doesn't want me to visit him."

"Why?"

I shrugged, "He doesn't like that he's in there. He doesn't want Dad or Riley or me especially to see him in there." I said.

"Oh." Max replied and a moment later we pulled up into the driveway of the familiar house.

It was white with faded yellow shutters with a huge front porch with a swing and a garage attached to one side. The lawn was kept cut and neat by my father despite the fact he worked constantly. It irritated him if his lawn wasn't cut.

Max pulled the car to a stop and I climbed out not taking my eyes off the house that stood in front of me.

"Do you want me to walk you in? Make sure that everything is okay? It's pretty late." Max asked coming up beside me with my suitcases.

"Uh...sure." I said snapping out of my daze.

I walked up the concrete path that lead to the front porch and climbed the steps. The key was under the mat just like it always had been. I unlocked the door and pushed it open. Instantly memories flood my mind as the familiar scent of my house filled my nose. Now if you asked me what that scent was I couldn't tell you to save my life. It was just what it smelled like.

Pictures lined the walls as you walked in. All of them showing Ronnie, Riley and I at different ages. There were a few appearances made by Max and the other guys and a few friends of mine, all of whom I hadn't talked to since high school.

"Damn this place brings back memories." Max said looking around.

"I know right? It's like being in a fucking time machine."

"So...where do you want this?" he asked pointing to the large rolling suitcase sitting beside him.

"Uh...can you take it up to my room?" I asked.

"Sure thing. I think I remember where it is." he smirked and with a wink he made his way up the steps.

With a sigh I followed him. When I reached the landing I headed to the last door on the left which was my old room. Everything inside was just how I left it. Fabric was draped over the ceiling with white Christmas lights intertwined through it. My bed was surrounded by sheer curtains and covered with dozens of pillows. My dresser was covered with little knickknacks and photos of Ronnie and I with the guys.

Suddenly Max laughed, "What?" I asked turning to him.

"Remember the first time that Ronnie caught me sneaking out of your room?"

I smiled as the memory flooded my mind.

The sun was bright in my eyes. I buried my face in Max's chest in an attempt to block it out. Wait...Max? The sun? Fuck! It was morning!

I jumped up and started pulling on my pajamas prodding Max as I did so, "Max! Max wake the fuck up!" I said whispered/yelled.

"W-What going on?" he asked opening his eyes and yawning.

"It's morning and you're still here!" I replied.

"Oh fuck!" he said and climbed out of bed.

The night before Max had come over after my dad and brothers had gone to bed. We'd snuck up into my room and well...things had happened. I guess we'd fallen asleep and now here we were freaking the fuck out.

"Last night was fun huh?" Max smirked as he quickly pulled on his boxers.

I couldn't help but smile, "For a first time? According to what my friends said about theirs I guess it could've been worse."

"Well I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm more than happy to put on a repeat performance anytime."

"You're such a fucking horn dog." I laughed.

"Yes but you love me." he said as he shoved his feet into his sneakers and grabbed his hoodie.

"Yes...yes I do. Now c'mon. You've gotta get outta here before Ronnie or Riley wake up. Dad's already gone so you don't have to worry about him." I said.

"Yeah but I'm more scared of your brothers than I am of him." Max said.

I laughed a little, "Let's go."

I opened my door and poked my head out. I didn't see anyone so I motioned to Max to follow me. We started toward the stairs when suddenly I heard the toilet in the bathroom flush. My eyes widened as did Max's. We ran for my room however we weren't fast enough.

"What's going on here?"

My hand had just reached the doorknob. I slowly lowered my hand and turned toward the voice. Standing just outside the bathroom door was Ronnie, wearing only his boxers and his dark hair a bigger mess than usual.

"Uh...Max stopped by early to see if I wanted to hang out today. I was going to call Dad and see if it was alright and he was coming to help me find my cell phone so I could." I replied.

"We have a house phone." Ronnie replied looking skeptically between Max and I.

"Oh! That's right I completely forgot! Well...c'mon Max! Let's go call Dad!" I said and grabbed his hand and started to pull him down the stairs but Ronnie caught me by the upper arm.

"I don't think so little sister. Now I want the real story." He said looking at us.

"There is no 'real' story! That's it!" I replied.

"Uh huh...and that's not a hickey on your neck." he said.

"What?!? Max!" I yelled and turned to look in the mirror but found there wasn't a single mark on my neck.

"Fuck!" I cursed knowing I'd just killed my story.

"So there was something more going on!" Ronnie yelled and a moment later had Max pinned against the wall.

"Ronnie let him go!" I yelled pulling at his arm.

"Did I or did I not tell you when you two started dating that you better not try anything funny?!?" he growled at Max.

"I-I-I-" Max stuttered.

"Ronnie quit! I was the one that asked Max to come over! He didn't want to but begged him! All of this was my idea! If you're going to kill anyone kill me!" I replied.

"Don't lie to me Regan I know how Max is." he replied.

"Well apparently you don't know me well then! I asked him over! I was the one that brought him upstairs! I was the one that pushed him for sex! I-" but he cut me off.

"Jesus Christ Regan! I didn't need to know that! I don't want those images in my head!" Ronnie whined.

"Well get over it! I'm seventeen Ronnie! Now will you get the fuck off of my boyfriend?!?" I asked.

Ronnie looked between Max and I for a second before letting go of Max's jacket. Max let out a breath that he'd apparently been holding.

Ronnie ran his hands through his hair, messing it up more than before, "Look...I don't want to know about it okay? I don't want to hear bragging, No randomly disappearing together and I sure as HELL don't want to have to listen to you two go at it okay? So if he comes over at night please keep to moans to minimum. Please?" he asked.

"Deal and I'm sorry man I-"

"No. Just....drop it. Now that we're done with this I'm going to go get something to eat. You two are more than welcome to join me." Ronnie replied and headed downstairs.


A crack of thunder rumbled making me jump nearly out of my skin.

Max laughed, "Jeeze Regan you'd have thought you just got poked with a tazer."

"Fuck you!" I replied.

"I'm sorry...are you going to be okay here by yourself? If not I'll be happy to stay over." Max asked.

I bit my lip, "Would you?"

"Sure no issue...I'll go and get blankets and stuff from the hall and make a bed downstairs." he replied.

"Or you could just sleep up here with me." I replied.

"You sure?"

"We sort of shared a bed last night...what's different about this? I actually think I may have something you can wear." I replied and walked over to my closet.

"All the clothes and shit you left here I kept and stuffed them in the closet so I didn't have to look at them. I considered burning them but Dad wouldn't let me. Something about destroying personal property being illegal." I said and pulled a t-shirt and sweatpants off the top shelf.

"There ya go." I smiled and handed him the clothes before walking over to my suitcase and pulled out a pair of shorts and a tank top.

"Thanks." he said and we both pulled off our clothes and changed before crawling into bed.

Max pulled me close and despite the storm I fell asleep quickly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are appreciated :D