Status: brand new

Almost Easy

Number Three

'What happened here?!' Jimmy nearly squealed as he walked into our kitchen.

Glancing around I groaned, icing sugar was everywhere, cake batter, butter, milk, spread across the whole kitchen.

'I made a cake' I laughed, my kitchen was a mess, my clothes were a mess, cooking was not my thing.

‘I see’ He raised his eye brows, but didn’t utter another word, a wise choice in my opinion.

'It’s done, and in the fridge, I was about to start cleaning this damn mess before you walked in, now helping me!' He looked unsure but set to work.

We finished tidying up before we both collapsed on the couch.

'I have my first ultrasound tomorrow, before the party...' I wasn’t really sure if Jimmy would want to come, it was fine if he didn’t I'd take Val, she was desperate to come, but I wished he'd be supportive.

'So I'll just meet you at the party then? He was suddenly preoccupied by his cell phone; my heart sank deep into my chest.

'Yeah' I muttered standing up 'I'm going to shower'

'I love you' He smiled, smacking my leg gently as I walked past

'I love you too' I called back, mentally hitting myself for getting into this mess.

----

'Ahh, you're getting a bump!' Val giggled, patting my belly, starting to make cooing sounds.

'Its tiny still I think like I'm 7 weeks, I have nick named it mischief, because already it’s causing mischief for me and for daddy, huh little cupcake?' Turning to the mirror, I rubbed my still flat tummy.

'Little mischief' She smiled, standing back, walking slightly towards the door 'that might just stick'

I nodded, grabbing what I needed before following her out to her car climbing in, the ride was quick and we made our way in, talking with the lady behind the counter before taking a seat.

'Girl or boy?' Val asked flipping through a pamphlet.

'A girl would be cute, rosy little cheeks, pink outfits, we'd be best friends, and shopping...the lists of fun things would be endless' I got all excited at the thought and I wasn’t even a girly girl.

‘Sounds like someone is getting a little bit soft in her old age' Val smiled at me 'When can we know?!'

'When the baby develops more I guess'

We sat in silence for a little while, whilst we waited, I looked around, noticing the woman in the corner, she looked tired and drawn, tattoos laced her arms, and a small baby sat in a pram next to her. The baby let out a little cry and the woman threw her head into her hands. She was distressed and having a baby just got ten times scarier in my mind.

Would that be me? Hating the sound of my baby crying? Instinct like my hand clutched my stomach.

'Sanders?' A woman in her 40's called out, a warm smile on her face as I jumped up, Val following close behind.

'Hi, I'm Kyler, and this is my sister-in law Valary' I shook the woman’s hand, watching while her and Val conversed a few hello's.

'Doctor Daniels' she smiled before leading them into a small room, asking me to lay on the bed thing.

'Aright, is this your first pregnancy?' She asked, preparing the things next to the bed, putting gloves on.

'Yes, first baby' I replied quickly, lifting my shirt over top of my belly.

'And where is the father today?' She looked like she was being careful of the subject, careful I'd get upset or something.

'Jim was real busy today' I lied, putting my best grin on, I felt Val's hand rub my arm supportively and I smiled up at her.

The rest of the ultrasound went quickly, it was spectacular to hear little mischief’s heartbeat, seeing the little pictures of it inside of me was surreal, I got a dozen or so printed, we had a large family and all had asked for a copy.

'Thank you so much' I genuinely smiled at the lady who had shown me my baby for the first time, shaking her hand again.

'No problem Kyler, maybe we will see you in here soon!' Dr Daniels winked at Val, whose eyes went wide.

Laughing we left the building, heading to Matt and Val's for the party.
♠ ♠ ♠
thoughts?