When September Ends

And The Tears Don't Fall

I woke up the next morning and the bed was empty. Adrienne must have gone to take the kids to school.
I sat up and stayed there for a while just thinking about stuff when Adrienne got home and came up to check on me.
"Morning sleepy" she smiled seductively
"Mmmorning" I mumbled
"How long have you been up?" she asked sitting on the bed beside me and resting her head on my chest
"About 10-15 minutes" I replied kissing her forehead.
She pulled my head down so our lips met each other, hungrily.
Before long, we were sliding out of our clothes and falling into bed laughing.

***
I finally got up around noon and sat down in the studio, planning how to tell my family.
God, this wasn't easy.
Could I slip away without telling them? Without preparing them?
I looked through hundreds of photographs of us, happy and carefree. I yearned to be back in those days.
I hadn't even noticed the hours fly by and Adrienne came down to check on me.
"Are you okay honey?" She asked, leaning against the door frame.
"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm okay thanks. Are you going to get the kids?" I asked.
"Yeah. I know something is wrong Billie. Talk to me, please" She replied.
"See you soon" I said, shrugging her off.
She sighed and ran back up the stairs, I heard the front door slam, and she was gone. Grief hit me again, the tears started pouring and I was shaking uncontrollably.

About half an hour later Adie and the boys got home and I still hadn't come up with any ideas.
This shit was hard. Hardest thing I had ever had to do. Maybe I could just come out with it. You know, say it casually over dinner? Would that work?

"Daaaaaaaaad!" I heard Jakob yelling and running down the stairs to where I was sitting.
"What's up, Buddy?" I asked, turning round to face him.
"Nothing. Joey said that you were sad last night and I should come see you to cheer you up" he said climbing into my lap and throwing his arms around my neck.
I placed my hands on his back and hugged him tightly, trying so hard not to cry.
"What was wrong dad?" he asked, breaking the hug and looking at me curiously.
"Oh, nothing. Just people get upset sometimes, don't they?" he nodded as I tried to avoid eye contact with him.
"Are you okay now?" he asked
"I am fine. Want to go play soccer?" I asked him, changing the subject abruptly.
"At the park?" he asked excitedly
"Okay, we can go to the park. Go get your brother" I said ruffling his hair and he lept down and went running up the stairs, shouting for Joey.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not long at all but, it had been a while since I updated but, I will post a longer chapter next time =]