When September Ends

The Time Has Come

I woke up quite early the next morning, with a shake from Joey.

"What's up Joe?" I asked stretching.

"I want to know what's wrong" he demanded.

"I have to tell Mom first" I replied, not looking at him.

"When will you tell her?" he asked

"I'm not sure" I replied

"Tell her when she wakes up. It's good to talk about things. That's what you used to always tell me" he stated matter of factly.

"Okay" I agreed. He was right. I had to tell her.

"Breakfast?" I asked.

"Yeah, okay" he said following me to the kitchen and grabbing the cereal that he wanted.

"I'm going to go check on Mom and Jakob, 'kay?" I said as he poured milk on his cereal.

"Uh huh" he replied, stifiling a yawn.

I walked up the stairs and into Jakob's room and he was still sound asleep. I crossed the hall to mine and Adie's room and she was just waking up.

"Morning" she said with a smile.

"Morning" I said returning it and sitting on the bed beside her.

We sat in silence when Jakob came running in and pounced onto the bed beside us.

"Daaaaad can we please go to the park today?" he begged.

"Maybe" I said with a smile at his puppy dog eyes.

"Please, please, please, please!!" he yelled.

The door creaked open and Joey popped his head around the door.

"Coming to join us?" asked Adie.

"Nah. C'mon Jake. Mom and Dad need to have a grown ups talk." he said, coming in and grabbing Jakob's hand and taking him off downstairs.

"I h-have to tell you sometime and the time has come" I said, shaking.

"You can tell me anything" she said with a warm smile.

Everything was silent for a while.

"Are you leaving me?" she asked, a hint of anger in her voice

"No. No Adie I would never leave you. You're the love of my life, I will be with you, till the end" I said, tears coming down my face.

"Adie, I have lung cancer" I said, and I burst out crying, she wrapped her arms around me tight.

"Please tell me it's not true" she said on the verge of tears.

"It is, I'm sorry Adie" I said. She pulled away from the embrace and held my head in her hands and stroked my cheeks.

"Oh, Billie Joe. Don't be sorry.Thats the last thing you should be." she said, wiping the tears away. She started crying herself.

"We'll get through this, we can fight it, right?" she said looking up into my eyes.

"It's too late" I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short but yeah.

Comment please?