Status: Finished!

Matchmaker

Chapter Twelve: Engagement

I locked myself in my room for a while. The rest of the day, really. I had my phone on my stomach, waiting for it to vibrate. It never did. I waited for a text from Rupert. It never came. I waited for a sign that everything would be okay… That never came either.

I wasted my day listening to my iPod. I didn’t even hear when Morgan came running into the apartment, squealing like a little girl. She swung the door open, a huge smile across her face and tears in her eyes. I took out my headphones and sat up quickly.

“What’s wrong?!” I asked. She shook her head, still smiling.

“Dan proposed!” she said. My eyes grew to the size of oranges.

“What?!” I squeaked out. She held out her hand and showed me a gorgeous ring.

“He figured the best time to ask me was my birthday! Can you believe it?!” she cried, giggling like crazy.

“No! Congratulations!” I said, hugging her tightly. Dan could be a bit of a pain, but he was a good guy. He made her happy.

“Thank you! You’ll be my maid of honor, of course. We have to go dress shopping, as soon as possible!” she said. I laughed.

“Calm down, you have time. God, you’re not getting married tomorrow,” I said.

“No, but we’re getting married at the end of the summer!” she said.

“Morgan! You’re joking,” I said.

“I swear!” she said, laughing.

“Are you insane?! That does not give you enough time to plan a wedding!” I said.

“Sure it does! All I need is some dresses and a place to get married. It’s going to be a small thing… Dan wants to keep the paparazzi out if it,” she said. I rolled my eyes.

“You’re so impulsive. So, what’s the date of this wedding?” I asked her.

“August 15th,” she said.

“Morgan! That’s like, a month!” I exclaimed. She nodded enthusiastically.

“I know! I told you we have to go shopping soon!” she said, giggling. I sighed and shook my head.

“You’re killing me,” I said. She laughed and pulled out her laptop, flipping it open.

“Come on, we have a wedding to plan.”
*********************

The month flew by. By August 10th, the wedding was completely planned and I had successfully been avoided by Rupert the whole time.

The day before the wedding was the rehearsal dinner. I put on the nicest dress I had and curled my hair a bit.

“You ready to go?” Morgan asked, putting earrings in as she peaked her head in my room. (She had adopted the spare room as hers and Dan’s, so I currently had my own room.)

“Yeah, just about,” I said, sliding on some shoes. “You know, you never told me who Dan’s best man was. Keeping it a secret?” Morgan bit her lip.

“Sort of. I didn’t want you to freak out,” she said. My heart sank. I knew exactly what that meant.

“It’s Rupert, isn’t it,” I said. She nodded and I sighed.

“I’m sorry! I knew you’d be sad… so I didn’t say anything,” she said. I shrugged.

“Why would I be sad?” I asked. Morgan came in and sat on my bed.

“Ellie, I’m your best friend. You think I don’t know how much you were into him? You were happy all the time! You even cleaned… you never do that. Then all of a sudden you were sad again? Something happened. I don’t know what, but it was enough to break your heart,” she said. Tears sprung to my eyes.

“I kissed Lorenzo,” I said softly.

“Wait, your ex-boyfriend Lorenzo? The one who lives in Italy?” she asked. I nodded.

“Yeah… him…” I said.

“You flew to Italy to kiss him?” she asked. I sat down on the bed next to her, smiling weakly.

“No. He’s here. He’s been here all summer,” I said.

“What?!” she yelled. I nodded.

“He found me when I was walking in the park one day. He came over on your birthday to see me, and Rupert was here. Lorenzo didn’t know that. And well… he kissed me. Rupert walked out and saw… and I haven’t talked to him since,” I said, wiping a tear away as it trickled down my face.

“Awh! Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked, genuine concern showing on her face. I shrugged.

“I didn’t want to bum you out. I mean, it all blew over. Kind of,” I said.

“Blew over? Ellie… you’re heart broken. There’s no way it’s all blown over,” she said. I sighed, biting my lip.

“He won’t talk to me…” I said.

“That could change. Have you seen him in person?” she asked.

“Of course not,” I said.

“Well… maybe when you see him it will be different,” she said.

“That’s one thing I have to disagree with.”