‹ Prequel: Leave the Pieces

The Last Stand

Twilight Zone.

“Good to see you too, Sammy,” I muttered into his chest, knowing who it was by his scent.

“And you’re both pregnant? When did-? Who’s the-?” Sam just stared at us, desperately wanting one of his to answer his broken questions.

“Three months ago. Paul and Embry,” we muttered together. I heard rustling and looked over to see Paul and Embry step out. They looked over at us, and a look of happiness crossed their features and I looked eyes with Paul. The longer we stared at each other, the happiness started draining from his face until he looked unemotionally at me. He walked towards me, and I prepared myself to get yelled at, and squared my shoulders.

Instead of yelling, he walked right past me. I could feel my face morphing into one of guilt, hurt, and confusion. I looked over at Hayley and saw that she had the same expression.

They blew right past us.

“Can you really blame them? Any of us? You both left without saying a fucking thing. We all thought you two, including my daughter had died,” Sam stated angrily. I could feel my eyes welling with tears, and wiped at my eyes furiously.

“I killed the person that was my best friend for fourteen years, Sam! Do you have any idea how that feels?! Well, I’ll fucking tell you, it feels like your heart is getting ripped out of your chest with jagged fucking pieces of glass! I had to get away!” I yelled, knowing that everyone could hear me.

“I went with her because I couldn’t leave her to deal with it by herself. We are so sorry if we put our feelings before yours. We won’t fucking do it again,” Hayley snapped, and grabbed the top of my arm. “Come on, Dyls,” she said. We got into the BMW, and she got into the driver’s seat, and I hopped into the passenger seat.

As we drove back into Forks, I rubbed my stomach absently when I felt a slight pain. Weird, I thought. We stopped at the diner, and surprisingly no one recognized us. We got some burgers, fries, milkshakes, and two slices of apple pie to go, and we decided to go to that meadow that we played baseball in. We sat down on the grass, enjoying the sun warming up our skin, and ate in silence. I felt my phone vibrate, and looked to see a text from Paul.

I’m sorry for making you upset. Can I make it up to you tonight?

I sighed. “Paul?” Hayley asked. I nodded.

“Yeah.” Her phone beeped, and she glanced at it.

“Embry,” she said.

“What he want?” I asked.

“To hang out tonight.”

“Hmm, so does Paul,” I said thoughtfully. I could see the wheels turning in Hayley’s head.

“They’re planning a double date,” she said. I thought about it for a second, and then nodded.

“Oh, yeah. They’re definitely planning a double date.”

Image

Hayley and I went back to my house, and waddled in side. “Rose, Alice. We need your help,” I said.

“With what?” Rosalie asked from her position next to Bella. Well, that’s odd. Rosalie willing spending time with Bella? I think I just walked into an episode of the Twilight Zone.

“Double date,” Hayley and I said in unison. Alice and Rosalie looked at each other and shrugged.

“Okay,” they said, and traveled up the steps with us. “Please tell me that you two have some dresses that will actually fit?” Alice pleaded.

“Yupp,” Hayley nodded, and bent down, pregnant style, and picked up two dresses.

“Those are cute,” Rosalie said. I smiled.

“Thanks, I picked them out,” I stated proudly. She chuckled.

“Good for you, Dyls.”

When they finished doing our hair and make-up, they told Hayley to go to the bathroom to get changed, and told me to change in the bedroom. We went our separate ways to change. I slipped on my dress and sighed in the mirror. I could not wait to have that baby. I walked out of the room and saw Hayley standing there.

“You ready?” She asked. I nodded.

“Yeah, I’m ready,” I said, and pulled out my phone. Right on time. “So, we’re going back to La Push so they don’t break the treaty, right?” I asked. Hayley nodded.

“Yeah, that’s right,” she said, and grabbed the keys to her car off the table. I don’t know why we both had our cars here, but we did.

“Let’s hit it,” she said in a weird voice, which in turn made me give her a weird look. “What?” She asked. I shook my head with a slight eye roll.

“Nothing, Hayls,” I laughed. She shrugged and walked outside.

“Have fun, girls!” Esme called out to us.

“Thanks mom!” We both called back.

We drove to La Push and saw Paul and Embry standing by a limo. “Holy hell,” Hayley breathed. I nodded.

“Oh yeah.” We got out of her car, and walked towards the limo. Embry opened the door and I laughed. “Oh my God, it has suicide doors,” I said gleefully.

“How in the world did you guys afford this?” Hayley asked.

“We all chipped in,” a voice from behind us said. I turned to see Sam, Emily, Jared, Jacob, Seth, and surprisingly Leah standing there, smiling.

“Thank you, you guys,” I said.

“You can thank us by having fun,” Sam said softly, wrapping his arm tighter around Emily. I smiled again, and then slipped into the limo. Paul followed me, Hayley got in next, and then Embry slipped in. The door shut softly, and then the front door opened. The limo started, and then I felt it move.

“So, where are we going?” I asked. Paul and Embry smiled.

“You’ll see,” they said in unison. I looked out the darken window, and then looked down when I felt a hot hand get pressed to my stomach. I looked at Paul and saw him looking at my stomach in wonder.

“Have you,” he paused, clearing his throat. “Have you decided on a name?” He asked. I shook my head negatively.

“No, not yet,” I said softly.

“Have you?” I heard Embry asked, and saw them in basically the same position as Paul and I.

“Nope,” Hayley answered.

“Why haven’t you named them yet?” Paul asked.

“We want to wait until they’re born to pick a name,” I said. They nodded in understanding.

“Do you think the kid will like me?” Paul asked. I turned to him and nodded.

“Of course. You’re her father,” I said just as softly.

“Her? It’s a girl?” He asked. I nodded. A smile brightened up his face.

“A girl,” he echoed in a soft voice, rubbing my stomach absently while a faraway look was on his face.

The limo slowed to a stop, and the front door opened. A couple seconds later, so did our door. We all piled out, and I smiled seeing the beach. I felt warm fingers lace with mine, and I smiled up at Paul. He bent down, and kissed me lightly. “Dylan, just so we’re clear; I’m still incredibly pissed that you left. I understand that it was hard for you to kill him, so I don’t hold that against you, but next time you kill someone you’ve known forever, would you please let me, or someone know, that you’re leaving?” He said, close to pleading. I nodded.

“I’m so sorry I made you worried, but I just had to leave and clear my head,” I said, hoping he would understand. He nodded.

“I’m still pissed.”

“I know.” We walked down to the beach and I saw a large blanket set out on the sand with a picnic basket set out.

“We were gonna set out wine, but then we thought better of it,” Embry said, motioning towards our stomachs.

“Yeah, good call there, honey,” Hayley said. I grinned. I slipped off my shoes and tossed them behind me. Hayley did the same, throwing hers with mine. There was a small radio on the side of the blanket, and Paul pressed the “play” button. A love song started playing, almost making me laugh, but I was impressed by their efforts, so I kept it inside.

We all sat down, and Embry opened the basket. He pulled out strawberries, chocolate, more chocolate, candy, whip cream, four bowels, and four forks. He put an even amount of strawberries in each bowel, covered them all with chocolate and whip cream, and passed them out. I took a bite and practically moan. “Jesus, this is good,” Hayley said, mirroring my thoughts. Once we were done, Paul stood up, and offered me his hand.

“Would you like to dance?” He asked in a horrible British accent. I laughed, and nodded.

“I would love to.” I laid my hand in is, and he pulled me up effortlessly. We walked into shallow part of the water, neither one of us bothered by the coldness. I heard some splashes and laughter, and looked over to see Hayley in Embry’s arms, laughing as he carried her into the water.

Another song started playing, and we swayed to the beat. I pulled myself as close as my large belly would allow, and laid my head on his chest. His arms wrapped tighter around me, and I felt like I was floating. I felt that slight pain in my stomach again, but still didn’t think anything of it. Then I felt something wet on my legs. I pulled away from Paul, and looked at him with wide eyes.

“Uh, Paul? I think my water just broke.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the wait. Comment? Message? Subscribe? Thanks. Peace, love, skittles!