Bite Your Tongue

Threat

8:11 A.M.
Korinne;;


I let my head rest on the cool metal of the locker and refrained from bashing my skull into it. Ten times, and the damn thing still wouldn’t open. I couldn’t remember how Brian had gotten it open so easy that time, and it appeared he had already been to his locker this morning, since I hadn’t seen him.

Dammit, open! I mentally commanded the locker. I pulled hopefully on the handle and sighed—yet again—in frustration when it didn’t budge. I guess I just won’t be using my textbooks today.

I glanced at the clock above the row of lockers on the opposite wall. Only a few more minutes before I could head to first period and not look like a complete dork for being there early. I planned on burying my face in a book and not emerging until I absolutely had to. I was so lost in that daydream that I didn’t hear the footsteps coming up behind me, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I saw Elias appear by my side.

“You’re alive,” he said dully.

I rolled my eyes. Looks like it.

Elias’s eyes narrowed into slits. “I don’t know how you’re still here, and I honestly don’t care, but I do know that you’d better stay out of my business if you know what’s good for you. Got it?”

I stared back at him. The person in front of me was no longer my brother. But it did hurt to finally realize it.

Without warning, I found myself flung backwards into the lockers as Elias shoved me.

“I said, got it?” he asked more forcefully this time. I nodded weakly. I saw his hand rear back and I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the blow, but—

“Korinne!” I opened my eyes to see Brian and Zacky walking towards us. Elias had immediately moved away from me, so it merely looked like we were having a friendly conversation.

I nearly fainted with relief when the guys reached us. Zacky slipped an arm over my shoulder and squeezed gently.

“Come on; Stevie’s been looking for you,” he said. I looked up at him quizzically, only to see that his eyes were focused on Brian, who was currently staring at Elias like a tiger about to pounce.

“Go on; I’ll catch up with you later,” Brian said, not taking his gaze off of Elias. A small chill ran down my spine as I remembered Brian saying that he and Zacky would ‘take care of it’ if Elias tried to hurt me again. I didn’t know what that meant, but it sure as hell didn’t sound pleasant.

I tried to empty my mind of all thoughts of Elias as Zacky led me down the hall.

“Stevie isn’t really looking for you, you know,” he said once we reached the staircase. “I just had to get you away from him.”

I nodded and smiled gratefully at him, but I couldn’t help casting a troubled glance back in the direction we had come. Zacky followed my gaze.

“Brian knows what he’s doing. Don’t worry,” he assured me.

I sure hope so.

+++

Brian;;

I waited until Korinne and Zacky had vanished from my line of sight before speaking. Elias regarded me curiously.

“What’s up, man?” he asked.

“Why do you hate Korinne?”

Elias paled slightly. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t fuck with me, Elias. I saw what you did to her. I pulled her out of the fucking ocean! She would have drowned, you dickhead!”

“I didn’t do anything!” Elias insisted. I felt a sudden surge of anger and punched the locker just inches from Elias’s head. He flinched.

“Deny it all you want, but I swear to god, if you so much as lay a finger on her again, I’ll personally make sure it’ll be the last move you’ll ever make.”

And with that, I turned on my heel and stormed off to class. I couldn’t justify the random rage, which scared me a bit. I had never felt anything like that before; that overwhelming desire to just kill someone. And I didn’t know why.

Stop kidding yourself. You know why.

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

I think you do.


Korinne was my friend, and you care about your friends—that’s all. I must have just let myself get a bit overwhelmed. Besides, there wasn’t any other reason to explain my actions…right?

Wrong.

Shut up!


I told myself that I wasn’t going to think about it, that I would simply focus on finishing my math homework before our teacher arrived. And that worked…at least, I thought it did.

+++

12:16 P.M.

When I got to lunch, I wasn’t surprised to see Elias sitting at a different table. Good thing, too, otherwise, he might have gotten a face full of scalding hot French fries.

“Dude, Elias isn’t at our table. You must have scared the shit out of him,” Zacky said from beside me.

“I sure hope so.”

“You don’t think he’d take it out on Korinne anyway just to spite you, do you?”

“Nah, I think I got the message across pretty clearly.”

Zacky shrugged and attempted to casually cut in front of me. I flung out an arm and stopped him.

“Fucker! You’re standing between me and my fries, and trust me, that is a dangerous place to be.”

Zacky chuckled and held his hands up in surrender. “Alright then. Damn, I’d hate to see the day when they run out of fries before you get here,” he said.

I glared at him. “Don’t even joke about that.”

Once we arrived at the table, Zoe greeted me in the usual way—with a kiss. I took my seat next to her and immediately began to inhale some fries.

“Korinne, are you feeling better?” asked Delia in between sips of carrot juice.

Korinne looked confused.

“You had like food poisoning or something on Friday,” Jimmy said.

She nodded and resumed staring intently at the sandwich on her tray. And I couldn’t help but wonder what she was thinking about. That was what made Korinne so interesting—she didn’t talk, but you could tell she was always thinking about something. I also wondered why she didn’t talk…I mean, did something terrible happen that shocked her into silence? Or was she doing it for some other, more personal reason? It intrigued me. I made a mental note to ask her about it later.

“Brian, what are you doing?” Zoe asked.

“Huh?”

“You’ve been staring at your fries for like, five minutes. You okay?”

“Oh, uh, yeah. That was just, uh…silent prayer,” I joked. Everyone started laughing after that, because they all knew I was probably the least religious person on the planet.

“Right, and I’m Oprah Winfrey,” Matt said sarcastically.

“Shut up,” I said. I reached across Zoe, grabbed Delia’s fork, and threw it at Matt.

“Asshole!”

“My fork!”

I leaned back in my chair as a large grin found its way onto my face. I had to stop thinking so much.

+++

4:45 P.M.
Korinne;;


I sat in my room, still reeling from the shock of Elias coming home and completely ignoring me. I had been prepared for the worst—but I guess whatever Brian said must have had an effect on him, because now it was like I didn’t exist. And to be quite honest, I didn’t mind.

I tried to think of something to occupy my time until my mom got home with dinner and came up with nothing. All of my homework had already been finished, so that wasn’t an option. I had already read every book on my bookshelf, and I didn’t feel like rereading anything at the moment. I wanted a new book, but that was out of the question as well since I didn’t have anyone to take me to the bookstore. Plus, I would have to ask my mom for money, and that would involve unnecessary one-sided conversation that I didn’t want to deal with. I was feeling very antisocial.

Hmm, I wonder if Brian reads.

Stop.

What? I’m just thinking.

You’re trying to make me obsess over him, and I’m not going to fall for it.

Sure you won’t.


I rolled my eyes and decided to listen to some music. But instead of just blasting it from my computer speakers, I opted to grab my iPod and listen with that. I turned the volume up as much as I could without the fear of being deafened and let myself relax on my bed as the music filled my ears. It wasn't long before I'd slipped into a dream.

“Brian, what are you doing?”

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m climbing through your bedroom window, duh,” he replied with a huge smile. I felt an identical one arrange itself on my face as his shoes touched my carpet.

“It’s two in the morning. My mom is going to crucify you.”

He chuckled. “No, she won’t. Not if you’re quiet.”

“Shut up,” I said playfully, feeling a blush rise on my cheeks. A second later, Brian’s hands cupped my face, and his lips were only mere inches away.

“God, you’re so cute when you blush,” he mumbled, before crashing his lips against my own. I felt my breath hitch in my throat as the kiss sent tingles all the way down to my toes and back up. His hands soon found my waist, and I rested mine on his well-sculpted chest—just like I always did. The kisses quickly grew more passionate as our tongues met, furiously exploring every inch of each other’s mouths.

I didn’t notice that we were moving until I felt the backs of my knees hit the bed. Brian’s hands ran lightly up my sides, and when I felt him brush the outside of my breasts, I gasped into his mouth. He broke the kiss, smirking, and moved his lips to my neck, soon earning a loud moan from me.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure that moan can’t be classified as ‘quiet’,” he quipped. I rolled my eyes and moved my head so he would have to kiss my lips again. The force of his kiss shocked me and I lost my balance, sending us both tumbling onto the bed.

“Now this is more like it,” Brian said. I felt his hands teasing the hem of my shirt and reached down to take it off for him. Brian’s eyes widened a bit before he leaned forward to kiss me, and then—


“Korinne! Elias! Dinner!”

With a small yelp I somehow ended up on the floor, nearly being strangled by my sheets. Loud footsteps in the hall announced Elias’s departure from his room.

I untangled myself and threw the sheets on the bed in a heap that I would deal with later, and was shocked to find that my hands were shaking. I couldn’t believe I had just had a dream about Brian, let alone a dirty dream. I’d never had one of those before, and it scared me—and thrilled me at the same time. I didn’t think I liked him that much. But it was clear from how irritated I felt that I had been woken up that I was more attracted to Brian than I realized. What was even more disturbing was the fact that I talked. I talked. I’ve heard of dreams being premonitions of things to come, but the idea was mind-boggling. I didn’t even think I could talk. The last time I remember trying was when my old principal had given me my transcript on my last day at that school, and all I had felt was an immense pressure building inside my chest, and then nothing.

“Korinne! Hurry up before your food gets cold!”

I shook my head and headed downstairs. Food would definitely help take my mind off of things.