Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 12

Two days later, Korin and you departed from the cottage. Leda had been a lot nicer to you after you and Korin had sparred. You had noticed that Korin and she had talked late into the night on both nights, apparently catching up. Whatever they had talked about notwithstanding, you knew that you would never tell anyone that the woman had been Leeta. Leeta was dead now, and Leda was just Leda, a friend of hunters.
You quickly fell back into your old rhythm, rising at dawn, walking ‘til dusk, practice, sparring, eating dinner and going to sleep. Korin noticed almost immediately when you crossed into your family’s territory; there was a chilling lack of larger animals. No deer tracks were to be found, and there were a few small villages within twenty miles. His expression darkened slightly. He’d never willingly walked into an immortal’s den before, but…there’s a first time for everything, right? Or at least that was what he was going to keep telling himself.
That night, for the first time in several months, possibly a year, Korin slept deeply, although badly. His dreams were scattered, and not at all peaceful. Snatches of images that were impossible to remember later; the sounds of steel on steel and screaming echoed through his head all night.
One particularly vivid illusion; close to dawn; a woman screaming and some unseen but imminent doom drawing quickly nearer, had him bolt upright, drenched in a cold sweat. His heart still hammering in his chest, and he had to pry his right hand’s fingers off the sheath of his blade to get them to relax. Korin looked at you, still sleeping peacefully, and sighed. This was not the first time he’d woken up covered in sweat. He doubted highly it would be the last.
You had been traveling with Korin for a month and a half now, and you knew you were close to home by now. After all, it had taken you two months to find Korin, though you were now taking a much more direct route home.
Later that day, you found yourself looking at the estate that you’d grown up in. You smiled, happy to be home. Korin looked slightly apprehensive, though that was understandable, he was walking into a vampire’s home. You knew your family would welcome him, though Seth, your eldest brother, would probably be hostile, if he even cared. You had had two brothers, Seth, the older; and Esiladae had been the second son, and far closer to you. Seth had always been very distant, and often downright cold.
♠ ♠ ♠
time to meet the family... ^_^;;