Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 14

You woke to your parents faces hovering worriedly over you, watching for signs of movement. You sat up with a groan.
“Ow.” You said, rubbing the back of your neck, where Seth had hit you.
“Aylen! You’re back! Are you alright?!” Your mother asked, almost frantic. Your father gave you some room, but looked just as concerned. You felt a surge of gratefulness toward your loving parents.
“I’m fine, Mum. Dad, what’s going on?” You asked, hugging your mother back.
“Seth trapped us in here a few days ago, without warning. When you left, he got increasingly excited about something, and then…took over.” He said, glaring at the door. You went over to it, and touched it.
“Wai—“ Your father tried to warn you. A second later you jumped back, with a yelp.
“Silver?” You inquired. Your father nodded; hand still out to try to stop you.
“Yes, he somehow installed it. I’m positive goblins were involved,” Your mother said, explaining. Goblins were famous for their metalworking, almost as famous as the Old World dwarves, who’d disappeared several hundred years ago. You nodded.
“Have you seen Korin?” you asked your parents. They looked confused. Your father arched an eyebrow.
“Korin?” you nodded.
“He…um…escorted me home,” you told them.
“Did he have red hair and a sword?” your mother asked kindly, before your father could say anything about young male escorts. You nodded excitedly.
“Yes! Has he left?” You asked hopefully. She shook her head, expelling your hopes.
“No, he came in with you and hasn’t left yet. Is he…err…human?” she asked, a doubtful look on her face. You nodded. Korin was as good as dead… especially with Seth in power.
“We have to find a way out.” You said decisively. Your father looked up quickly, as did your mother.
“Silver door. Silver-barred windows. That’s what we’ll have to get around.” Your father warned. Your mother looked at you oddly, recognizing the look on your face. It was like Esiladae’s when he had a plan.
“Let me guess,” she asked resignedly, “You have a plan?” You smiled.
“You are amazing, Mum. How’d you guess?” you asked teasingly, with bravado you didn’t feel. “As a matter-of-fact, I do indeed…” You motioned them closer, outlining your idea.
Two minutes later, your father stepped back, a look of awe on his face.
“Aylen, if this were any other time, I would ask what you’ve been doing for the past four months. But I won’t, because I really don’t want to know.” You smiled and walked over to the wall. Peering at the cracks, you selected a stone block that had the loosest mortar. The stone blocks were huge, easily four feet square and hundreds of pounds in weight. No problem for a fully grown vampire to pull out, without mortar to get in the way. You went to work stabbing and hacking at the dratted stuff with the dagger Korin had given you.
Within the hour, you had hacked most of the mortar out, leaving enough room to get a grip on the block. You moved out of the way.
“Dad, it’s ready.” He nodded, and with some effort, tugged the massive thing out, and set it down, out of the way. You sheathed the now uselessly dull knife, and hid it again.
You all slithered through the space where the block had been, landing silently on the stone floor. You went just as silently down the stairs, toward the main floor. You had almost made it, too, when a hand reached out of the shadows and grabbed you. Another hand covered your mouth, to keep you from screaming.
“And what’s this I’ve caught?” breathed a voice in your ear. To your parents, Seth said:
“Well, now. What’s next in the great escape plan? I have Aylen, and you do not. If you come with me, she gets to live a bit longer. If you resist…well, who knows?” Your parents narrowed their eyes in anger, but Seth was confident that they weren’t going to make any trouble. He was right.
“Fine. Lead the way.” Your father said in a growl. He wished he was younger, so that he could do more than quietly follow his malevolent son. Vampires age just as humans do, but much slower, a hundred vampire years to every one human year. But he couldn’t, and everyone knew it.
Seth was leading your family down toward the dungeon. He opened a door, wearing gloves to protect himself from the silver in it. He motioned your parents in, and threw you in, slamming the door behind you, and locking and barring it. You didn’t get a chance for your eyes to get used to the dim light, because a voice spoke up.
♠ ♠ ♠
escaping is always fun...getting caught sucks, though