We've Got More Than We Know

Potter?

Today was the day I had been dreading ever since Tanner suggested it. I’m starting to regret agreeing with him now. But I’m… cleaning out my office at Rockstar. I didn’t think this would be so hard!

Kirstie stopped in a few times… along with Zak. Since our last little… incident, things with us haven’t been exactly the same. We still talk whenever we see each other, but there’s just this awkwardness around us. I couldn’t help it that I’m in love with Tanner!

As I continued to put the contents of my desk in boxes, there was a soft knock on my door. No one knocks around here! Who is it? It made me dart my eyes that way as I told the person to come in. Once the door had cleared them, I was shocked to see… Todd standing there.

“Hey,” I smiled as he walked in.

“What are you doing?” he asked with his features wrinkled up.

“I’m leaving,” I sighed, dropping my eyes from his to the boxes and frowning.

“What’d you do? Get fried?” he teased.

“You know how much of a jerk you would be if I did get fried?” I asked him while crossing my arms.

“But you didn’t… did you?” he asked, looking at me sideways.

“No, it may have been better that way though,” I sighed once again.

“So why exactly are you leaving?” he questioned, pulling up a chair and making himself all comfortable.

“I’m a mommy now. I have to be there for my baby,” I smiled at the thought of Mason, whose home with his daddy today.

“When did you get knocked up?” he shot at me. Way to be blunt, Todders.

“Like… sixteen months ago,” I giggled at him. “Where have you been?” I went on to ask.

“I feel like I don’t even know you and Kirstie anymore,” he sighed.

“People grow apart, Todd… it happens, unfortunately,” I told him.

“That’s why I kind of came here. Kirstie and I used to be such good friends, but once you and I broke up, the two of you kind of… drifted away from me,” he shrugged, making me send him a look. Ironic that he used the word drifted…

“I didn’t mean that. Gosh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything to do with Tanner and you. This is going horribly,” he groaned while putting his head in his hands.

“It’s ok, Todd,” I smiled.

“What I came in here for, is to try and mend the friendship I have with you and Kirstie. I have yet to go see her, but I figured I’d see you first. But you’re leaving Rockstar, so it’s going to be harder to see you,” he shrugged again… his cockiness long gone.

“Are you still drinking like you used to?” I asked, hoping I knew the answer.

“I have an occasional social drink, but nothing like I used to,” he told me and I believed him.

“Then I totally think we could have a friendship, Todd,” I smiled, making a small one come over his scruffy face.

“What if all three of us had dinner sometime? Just to catch up. Obviously, I missed a lot with you. I know Kirstie and Josh got married and I had a kid. I didn’t know you did too,” he went on.

“I kind of… skipped the marriage part,” I cringed playfully.

“So, you and Tanner…” he trailed off, unsure of what to say next, which is really unlike Todd.

“We’re engaged now. We just had a few issues around the time I got pregnant, so that never happened,” I told him.

“Well, I’m glad everything worked out for you,” he replied, making me smile.

He went on to share a few things about his riding before he left. Once he was gone, I finished up packing my office and stared at it, knowing it was the last time I’d see it. I’ve been here for nearly seven years and now… I’m not going to be here any longer.

As a heavy sigh escaped from me, I shut the door and started out for my car. I was sad once I got home, but once I walked insides, I saw the cutest little sight. Tanner had fallen sleep on the couch with Mason doing the same on his chest. It was adorable. I smiled and walked over, giving each of them a kiss on the forehead. The one I gave Tanner made his eyes open slowly.

“Rough day, baby?” I asked softly.

“We need to baby proof this house. He’s crawling all over and getting into everything,” he mumbled through a tired voice.

I laughed before taking Mason off of him and sitting on the couch. Tanner sat up slowly, pushing a yawn out while he stretched… yes, it was cute.

“Did you get everything out of your office?” he asked after he had fully woken up.

“Yeah…” I pouted at him.

“Aw, baby. You’re working for Tanner Foust Racing now… what could be better?” he grinned as he hooked his arm around me, pulling his son and I against his chest.

“Well, when you put it that way, it sounds better,” I smiled.

He returned my grin before giving me a quick kiss on my lips.

“Todd came into my office as I was packing,” I decided to share with him.

“Potter?” he asked, scrunching his features up.

“Yeah, he was just saying how he missed being friends with Kirstie and I,” I shrugged, not wanting to make too much of a deal out of this.

“I’m sorry, but ever since that party we went to when he did whatever it is he did to you, I can’t control myself when I see him,” he replied. “I hate even thinking about him being around you,” he went on.

“Yeah, but he said he stopped drinking. He knows about you and Mason. He wasn’t being forceful with anything at all. He stayed at least five feet away from me the whole time we were talking,” I told him.

“That doesn’t change my opinion at all,” he countered, giving me a little attitude.

When it hit that point, I let it go. I guess I kind of see his point… but people change. I believe Todd has and would love to fix whatever was broken between our friendship… friendship! Not relationship. I’m willing to give Todd another chance with that. It just may be a little more difficult to convince Tanner of this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooooo.... Toddie..... lol

Ky

comment?