We've Got More Than We Know

He's Only One

It’s Saturday… the morning of Mason’s birthday… he’s not here. I’m sad. I woke up, leaving Todd snuggled in the warm blankets as I walked down to my son’s empty room. I sighed and leaned in the door, wishing he was here. I wanted to be the first one to tell him happy birthday. I wanted to see his face light up once he saw his birthday cake and then dig into it by the fistfuls. But… Tanner gets that joy.

A sigh came out of me as I held back tears and started downstairs to get a cup of coffee. But on my way, Todd walked out of the bedroom. He sent me a smile. When he saw my expression though, it quickly lessoned before he pulled me in for a tight embrace… bringing out my tears.

“It’s ok, baby,” he softly cooed while rubbing my back with his large, warm hand.

“I want my son,” I sniffled.

Todd didn’t have any words. He just held me tightly against him as my sobs eventually came to an end. I looked up, keeping my eyes off of his. He still went on to run his thumbs under my eyes, wiping my tears away. Before I would let go of him, he left a soft kiss on my forehead.

As we started heading downstairs, my phone rang from the kitchen where I left it to charge. I hurried to it, not too sure who would be calling me in the morning. Once I saw those six letters on my screen, I wanted to break down again.

“Hey,” I answered, trying to control my shaky voice.

“It’s not fair that I have Mason all day on his birthday,” Tanner started. “I sat up a little party for him and invited Josh and Kirstie and your parents and mine. I think it would be good for him if… you came,” he went on.

“Do you need me to bring anything?” I asked once what he had said finally sat in.

“No. I think I have everything,” he replied.

“Ok… I’ll be there in a little bit,” I told him.

We went on to say our goodbyes before we hung up. A small smile was on my face though. I can see my little boy on his first birthday. Todd looked at me with a small smile on his own face as his hands found their way to my hips.

“We can go see Mason,” I grinned.

“Really?” Todd asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

“That’s what Tanner said,” I smiled.

“Do you… want me to come?” he asked hesitantly.

“You’ve been there for him through a lot. I’m sure Mason would want his Woddie Beaw there,” I teased, pinching his scruffy cheek gently.

A slight pink color came over him, making me smile and reach up to kiss his cheek before we got ready to go see Mason. Once we were finished, we loaded into Todd’s truck and… went to Tanner’s. I haven’t been back here since I moved all of my stuff about a week after we broke up. I didn’t think this would be so… awkward for me.

Todd sensed something with me and reached for my hand as we walked around the backyard where everyone seemed to be. When we walked out there, Mason and Emma we running around, giggling so much. This put a huge smile on my face… then I saw Tanner chasing after them. It brought back happy memoires that… are never going to be anymore.

“WODDIE!” Mason shouted, shifting directions quickly to run to Todd. Nice to know he missed his mother.

“Hey, bud,” Todd smiled while picking him up. “Happy birthday,” he went on, making Mason’s face light up.

I smiled at my two boys before I looked around… and saw Tanner. He wasn’t really glaring at Todd, but… he didn’t like that his son latched onto some other man that isn’t his father. It showed.

“Aunt Ky, Uncle Tanner got Mesen a go kart!” Emma squealed while tugging on my shirt to get my attention.

“Did he?” I asked, trying to be happier than what I really was. He’s only one, Tanner!

“Maybe Toddie needs to get his gift out,” Todd smiled more to me than Mason.

“Yeah!” Mason smile while pumping his fists in the air… like Tanner does.

Todd’s grin grew as he gave Mason to me and walked back to his truck. Josh and Kirstie walked over with a smile on their faces. I’m thinking they knew already…

A few seconds later, Todd came back, pushing a little red Honda dirt bike. Mason quickly tired to wiggle out of my arms. Once he had succeeded, he went running over to Todd. He looked at it for a few seconds before Todd lifted him up to place him on his toy.

“I hope he has a helmet,” some blond chick piped up from next to Tanner. Who is she?

“Don’t worry. His favorite uncle has that covered,” Keegan smile while walking over with a new full face helmet in his hands.

The look on the woman’s face fell before she snaked an arm around Tanner. Why is she here exactly? Why is this strange, rude woman around my son?

I let it go though. My boy seemed happy… with Todd. I wasn’t going to do anything to ruin this. For now, everyone’s getting along. And it’s Mason’s birthday. I’m just happy to be spending it with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not... really.... lol

Ky & Toddie

comment?