Cities Built On Sand

That Song

Kari and Juliet sat on the couch snuggled up together one brisk Sunday morning in Pittsburgh. Sidney and Patrick were on their way home the from Minnesota with the team. The Penguins had a game versus the Minnesota Wild and Patrick took that opportunity to look at University of North Dakota. The mother and daughter duo were watching their favorite show, Glee, while sipping hot chocolate. As they watched Rachel walk off with her doctor, a rather familiar song began to play. As Finn started singing it sent Kari back to when she was sixteen.

Sidney was gone and never coming back. He broke up with you and moved on. You deserve a chance to be truly happy with someone who won't leave you all the time.

Those were all thoughts that ran through Kari Bray's head nearly driving her mad. Today marked the two year anniversary of Sidney's departure from Cole Harbour and although they continued to keep in touch, he had yet come to visit her. Kari was in her bedroom waiting to get picked up. As the sun began to set, there was a knock on the door. Natalie opened the door shocked at who was at the other side.

Kari came downstairs happily, “Hi, Jessie.”

“Is not Jessie.. is Sidney.” Natalie explained watching the young hockey player walk through the front door which he used to do so often.

All the color drained from Kari's face as she saw Sidney standing before her. It had been two years since she saw him and puberty definitely took its toll on him. He shot up a good six inches or so, possibly even more. The muscles in his arms became more toned and defined. “Who's Jessie?” He asked, sliding off his sneakers.

“Uh.. just a friend.” Kari stuttered trying to cover up.

Sidney opened his mouth to say something, shutting it as soon as he saw another guy around his age walk up the front steps. He was about 6'2, blond floppy hair, and sparkling blue eyes. There was no way Sidney could compete with that. “Hey baby.” He greeted pressing his lips to Kari's.

Kari pulled away soon after her lips came in contact with her boyfriends, “Hi.. Jess, this is Sidney. He's a friend from when I was younger.”

“Oh, nice to meet you, Sid. I've heard great things about you.” Jessie said extending his hand for a shake. The hockey player nodded and shook Jessie's hand, “Well, I hate to break up the little reunion here, but we've got dinner reservations baby and we are going to lose them if we don't get our butts over to the restaurant soon.”

“Okay, I'll see you around Sid. Bye Natalie.” Kari said good-bye and shut the door behind her.


Chills ran up and down Kari's back as she shook the thoughts of dating Jessie Dalton out of her head. The two Crosby women spent the last few hours of their 'Girls Weekend' by heading to the best spa in Pittsburgh. A massage, mud bath, facial, and mani pedi combination and Kari started up the car and headed off to Emma and Evgeni's home to pick up Thomas.

Patrick let out a hearty laugh nearly identical to his fathers as he received a picture message from his younger sister. Sidney raised an eyebrow looking over at his son suspiciously. Max Talbot quickly glanced over to check out the seventeen year olds cell phone; his jaw dropped as he too let out a began to chuckling. The captain exchanged skeptical looks with Marc-Andre before leaning over the aisle to see what all the commotion was about. There on the small screen of Patrick's BlackBerry was a photo of little baby Thomas in his Halloween costume. Sidney shook his head smiling, only Kari would pick such a heinous looking outfit.

▲▲▲

After another great victory against the Toronto Maple Leafs, Sidney invited his old teammate and once road trip roommate, Colby Armstrong out to dinner. The whole Crosby clan piled into Kari's mini van and met up with Colby at a small Italian restaurant, a place Sidney often visited due to their respect of his privacy. Many laughs and stories about times on the road were shared as Patrick and Juliet made a mental note of all the embarrassing things their father did in case they ever needed leverage for something.

“Hey, baby?” Sidney called from the bed room.

Kari popped her head through the door, “Yeah?” Her arms were full, Thomas in one his bottle in the other.

The hockey player shook his head, “Never mind.. I'll tell you after you put Thomas to bed.”

She nodded her head slowly before making her way back down the hall to the baby's nursery. Kari reentered her bedroom minutes later with the same confused face as before, “What's up, honey?”

“Remember that song?” He asked,sliding into bed.

“What song?” Kari asked heading into the closet to get changed.

Sidney paused for a moment before he began singing, “Jessie is a friend//yeah, I know he's been a good friend of mine//but lately something's changed//that ain't hard to define//Jessie's got himself a girl and I want to make her mine...

Kari giggled, “Oh gosh. Sid, sweetie, as much as I love you.. don't quit your day job.”

Sidney shook his head, groaning, “I'm trying to be serious here.”

“I love you, and that kid Jessie didn't mean anything, you know that.” Kari kissed her husband's plump pink lips gently before rolling onto her side waiting for his arms to wrap around her, “But to answer your question,Yes.. I remember that song, very well actually.”

She began to hum a few parts of the song causing Sidney to roll his eyes, “It sounds better when I sing it.”

“Psh, you wish.” She fired back giggling.

He smirked slightly, “If you didn't love when I sang you that, you would probably still be Jessie's girl.”