Cities Built On Sand

That Secret

Kari Crosby paced her bedroom nervously. There was a small piece of plastic sitting on the new duvet. Sidney was still at practice and wouldn't be home for another solid hour at least. Emma came over and was currently occupying the couch in the living room. She knocked softly on the door causing Kari's eyes to momentarily pull away from the daunting piece of plastic. “You okay in there” She asked, her voice laced with concern.

“Can you look for me? I'm scared.” She whimpered running a hand through her hair.

The door swung open and Emma gave her friend a quick squeeze before rushing to the bed. As she turned over the plastic stick, her face remained emotionless. Emma leaned her head down to Kari's flat stomach and giggled, “Hi baby Crosby.”

Kari's eyes became the size of the moon and her jaw dropped, “You mean I'm...”

Emma nodded shoving the test in her back pocket. The girls spent the rest of their morning together looking up baby names on the Internet. The sound keys jingling in the front door caused all the color to drain out of Kari Crosby's face. She bit her lip nervously as she followed her friend into the kitchen. Sidney and Evgeni were already rummaging through the refrigerator looking for food to satisfy their empty bellies.

“Hey baby, want me to make you anything?” She offered ushering the boys out of her kitchen.

Before he could answer, the always hands-y and curious Evgeni pulled the pregnancy test out of his fiancé's pocket and raised an eyebrow, “What is this?” He asked, “Positive?”

Kari shot Emma a desperate look hoping her friend would get the message- our little secret. Emma fumbled with her words for a minute and then snatched the piece of plastic out of her soon to be husband's hands. “Uh.. it's mine, but I'm not pregnant. I took like five others that all said negative. This one must be faulty or something.”

Feeling the tension in the air, Sidney let out a soft chuckle, “Well.. thank goodness for that. I don't think any of us would be prepared for babies.” Mrs. Crosby bit her lip and nodded before busying herself by preparing a meal.


▲▲▲

Kari rolled out of bed and began regurgitating her dinner from the previous night. After flushing the toilet, the sounds of her husband's footsteps were soon heard. He sat beside her on the newly tiled floor and pulled her onto his lap. Paw sized hands soon found their way to Kari's back, giving her chills as they ran up and down her spine. “This is the tenth time you've thrown up.” He mumbled into her ear pressing a kiss on her temple, “I made a doctors appointment for you today.”

“I think it's just a stomach bug. I'll be fine, honey.” She reassured Sidney, trying to wiggle out of going to the doctors.

Forgetting just how stubborn her husband truly was, Sidney continued to insist she visit the doctor, “I'm going on the road for five days, I need to make sure you're going to be okay.” He stood up and headed out, “We have to leave in an hour.”

Kari groaned and picked herself off the cool tiles, showered and dressed. She was not ready to go. Sidney drove to the doctors office at a rather fast pace causing Kari to become uneasy . She fidgeted in her seat they waited to get called back.

“Mr. And Mrs. Crosby, Doctor Bell is ready to see you now.”

Kari let out a deep breathe she didn't realize she was holding. After going through the routine set of questions with the nurse, it was suggested that she take a urine sample. Twenty minutes later, Doctor Bell walked in with her file in hand. Sidney gave his wife's hand a reassuring squeeze as he watched the doctor flip through a few pieces of paper.

“Well.. I'm happy to inform you that you are indeed expecting. I would say about twelve weeks or so.”

Just like that, it was ripping off a Band-Aid.. there goes her secret.