No Soul

06

“Daddy catch me!”

“Daddy look at this!”

“Daddy I’m hungry!”

“Daddy I have to potty!”

Sidney was being pulled every which way every two seconds – and was handling it surprisingly well. He was a pro at giving “horsey rides”, could finger paint with the best of them, and had the ability to whip up celery and peanut butter in two seconds flat. Taking the twins to a store for the first time, however, might prove to be just a little more difficult than he had originally planned, which called for a phone call placed to his good friend and the twin’s favorite person, Monsieur Talbot.

“Max!” Emma squealed excitedly as the Frenchman entered the Crosby home in the early afternoon.

Bonjour ma petite!” Max greeted, swinging the tiny girl into his arms and kissing all over her face. “How are you today my princesse?” He asked, grinning at her pink Penguins shersey, twenty-five and Talbot on the back. He was surprised that Sid let her wear his gift to Emma from the party at the Lemieux’s home last week.

“Good.” She smiled. “I’m getting toys.” She giggled, wiggling in his arms as he tickled her soft body with his big fingers.

“You are? What are you going to get?” He asked with great interest as Sidney helped Noah finish up his mid-day snack without getting the yogurt all over the little boy’s face.

“Play-Doh!” She smiled excitedly, rubbing her hands together.

“Oh, the good stuff.” Max nodded as Sidney played Noah atop his shoulders before heading to the entryway.

“Hi Max!” Noah shouted excitedly, hands buried in Sidney’s hair while Sidney slid on a pair of Velcro sandals over Noah’s feet.

“Hey little man.” Max greeted with a wide smile.

“Itchy.” Emma stated, rubbing Max’s jaw where is five o’clock shadow was coming in thick.

“It is, huh?” Max asked, following Sidney into the garage and helping the young center strap the two into their booster seats. “So, toy shopping, is it?” Max asked, sitting in the passenger seat.

“Yeah, we’re going to Kris and Brianna’s for lunch so I figured I could get them a few things to keep them occupied while we’re there.” Sidney nodded. “You’re welcome to join, of course.” Sidney added. The ride to Target wasn’t long, both twins giggling happily as Sidney stuck little hats over their heads lest they be recognized by some of the public. He wanted to keep them to himself for as long as possible and knew he would have to talk to Mario as to what to tell people when they finally noticed that Sidney Crosby was constantly toting around two three-year-olds.

“Hmm, what color?” Max asked with Emma on his hip as he stood in front of a giant display full of Play-Doh that seemed to come in every color of the rainbow.

“Pink.” She smiled excitedly.

“Pink is too girly.” Max teased.

“Uncle Max! I am a girl!” Emma declared, making Max laugh wholeheartedly as she sternly pointed a tiny finger in his direction.

“No mistaking that, ma petite.” He nodded in agreeance, grabbing a few colors including pink before turning the corner to find Sidney and Noah comparing Lincoln Logs and Legos.

“These.” Noah batted at the box of toddler-friendly Legos.

“Both, I love Lincoln Logs.” Sidney insisted, placing both boxes down into the car before Max and Emma could join them.

“Daddy, hungry.” Emma stated contently from Max’s lap.

“I could eat.” Max added, playing with the small straps of Emma’s Velcro sandals.

“I’ll ask if Kris and Brianna want to get something to eat.” Sidney nodded, moving down to the next aisle and watching Emma as she squirmed from Max’s arms to go and attack the pink, frilly dolls and princess costumes excitedly. Sidney wandered into the next aisle with a blush as Noah stood in front of the line of Crosby sticks and skates that Target carried.

“Daddy! Look!” Noah wiggled, pointing to his father’s image on the black stick that was clearly too tall for the toddler.

“That’s Daddy, huh?” Sidney laughed, his ears turning bright pink.

“I can have!” Noah declared, grabbing the blade of the stick and nearly toppling over the whole display as he dragged it out from the stand.

“Whoa there.” Sidney grimaced, grabbing the stick before Noah could demolish the end cap.

“I want!” Noah insisted.

“I know, I know, I’ll get you one.” Sidney reassured as Noah began to look worried. “But Daddy can get it for free.” Sidney insisted.

“I want!” Noah reiterated, making that same face Sidney had only seen once before and quickly grabbed the shortest stick (which was still too long) and handed it to his son to avoid the meltdown that was sure to ensue. Noah happily carried the stick in one hand as his Father who led him back to find Emma and Noah held his other.

However, when Noah reached his other half, he found her bundled up in a pink feather boa with a tiara on her head and wand in her hand. Max was searching through the racks of dresses for one her size when Sidney cleared his throat.

“Hi Daddy! I’m a princess!” Emma cheered happily, her eyes scrunching up in that Crosby way and giving him a toothy smile.

“Yes you are.” Sidney laughed. “Let’s put these in the cart so they’re nice when we get to Kris’ house, huh?” He suggested, unwrapping Emma’s boa. She nodded, helping him as she set her wand in the cart. Sidney glanced at his phone as Max sat Noah in the small seat by the handlebar of the cart before placing Emma on his hip, adjusting her tiara over her little Penguins hat. “Kris said Brianna would make lunch, so we will eat when we get there.” Sidney informed the party that made their way back towards the row of cashiers.

“Wait, I need to get some deodorant.” Max insisted as they walked by the hygiene aisles, dipping in and grabbing a handful of Degree sticks.

“Do you think we should bring something?” Sidney asked, running a hand under the bill of his hat and tucking one of his stray curls under the rim, reminding him that he needed a haircut. He had really been failing to take care of himself since Noah and Emma came into the picture.

“You packed stuff for them, right?” Max asked.

“Um, no.” Sidney shook his head, embarrassed.

“No biggie, we could just get them some juice or something right?” Max insisted.

“Yeah, right.” Sidney nodded as they turned and went down the limited grocery aisles before finding the brand that Nathalie usually stocked their refrigerator with.

“Oh cookies, Daddy!” Emma said, reaching for the blue box of Oreos.

“No cookies, baby girl, we’re going to eat lunch.” Sidney admonished, making her huff.

“Cookies!” Noah swung his legs, reaching for the box and successfully knocking them into the cart.

“Noah, no cookies.” Sidney repeated as the toddler huffed unhappily. Noah knocked another box down into the cart. “Noah, no cookies.” Sidney insisted. “No.” He shook his head, watching as the little boy’s face screwed up and turned pink. Sidney was not a fan of that face. Noah began to cry, drawing the attention of the man in his early-fifties at the end of the aisle. “Noah.” Sidney began. “Stop crying.” He insisted.

“Noah, when Daddy says no, he means no. Listen to him.” Max insisted, catching the toddler’s attention. Noah continued to frown and eyed Max suspiciously, but the toddler’s ‘Uncle’ had successfully stopped the tears in the least.

“Thanks.” Sidney mumbled as they continued out of the aisle and back to the checkout. Soon they were loading everything back into the car and Max spoke up as he strapped Emma into her car seat.

“Have you thought about God parents?” He asked, throwing Sidney for a loop.

“God parents?” Sidney asked.

“You know, people you name to take care of your kids in case something happens to you?” Max asked. “I don’t think that’s why people do it as much now, but you know what I mean.” He added.

“Not really.” Sidney shrugged. “Why, do you want to be one?” He asked, tilting his head as they moved to load the bags into the trunk next. Max shrugged, cheeks turning the tiniest shade of pink as he set the bag full of Emma’s princess outfit into the trunk. “Do you want to be Emma and Noah’s God father?” He pressed further.

“I mean, I’d love to.” Max muttered. “But it’s usually something that people put a lot of thought into.” He trailed.

“Max, I’ve known you for how many years? You’re my closest friend.” Sidney insisted. “Noah and Em love you.” He added. “Why wouldn’t I pick you?” He asked. Max shrugged and Sidney threw an arm around Max’s shoulder, giving him a friendly hug. “I mean, as long as you’re up to the challenge, you’re welcome to it.” He laughed, making Max nod.

•••

“Hi there.” Brianna answered the door with a big smile and one hand on her big belly as Noah and Emma stood in front of Sidney with equally big smiles on their faces. The first thing Noah did was place his hands on her tummy, making the adults laugh before he could follow Brianna further into the home.

“Daddy, I hungry.” Emma reminded Sidney as she reached up for him. Sidney picked her up, his arms crossed under her little behind. She giggled as she looped her arms around his neck, beaming up at him. “Hi.” She smiled.

“Hello there.” Sidney grinned as she pursed her lips for a kiss. Dropping one on her lips, she giggled before burying her face into the base of his neck as he softly ran his hand over her hair, reminding him that he needed to buy more of that curl detangler that Nathalie had given him for the twins hair.

“Love you Daddy.” She smiled, swinging her legs.

“Love you too, baby girl.” He grinned, hugging her tightly. “So much.” He reminded, remembering how fortunate he was to have them in his life, even at the worse of circumstances.

A puppy!” Noah squealed from the family room, immediately catching Emma’s attention.

“A puppy.” She repeated softly, wanting to see for herself as Sidney entered the family room. “Oh, look.” Emma said, watching as Noah pet the Siberian Husky who was clearly still a puppy but just as tall as the twins nonetheless.

“Do you want to pet her?” Sidney asked, lowering Emma who clung tighter to Sidney’s neck.

“No.” She whispered, watching with wide eyes as the puppy began to lick all over Noah’s face.

“She is nice, Emma, you can pet her. She won’t bite you.” Brianna insisted from her seat on the couch beside Kris who had one big hand settled on her tummy as he smiled up at the little girl as well.

“S’his name?” Noah asked between giggles as the puppy continued to lick under his chin.

“Her name is Lisette.” Kris smiled, reaching for Emma. Sidney set his little girl on the ground and she walked around the back of the couch to get to Kris, successfully avoiding the puppy. “Lisette, pas plus.” Kris reprimanded, causing the puppy to tuck her tongue back in her mouth and sit down obediently as Noah continued to pet her. Sidney took a seat on the recliner across from Max who cracked open a PBR.

Kris settled Emma on his knee before calling over Lisette who trotted faithfully over to her Daddy. Emma leaned back against Kris’ chest to escape the proximity between she and the dog.

“She is a nice girl.” Kris insisted, reaching past Emma to lightly pet Lisette’s snout. “See? Do you want to pet her?” Kris asked, his long hair brushing against Emma’s shoulder, making her giggle softly. Noah threw himself against Brianna’s legs, placing his head against her tummy as he watched his sister and the dog interact. Sidney also watched on curiously as Emma hesitated towards the small animal.

The room held a collective breath as Emma reached out and pet Lisette’s snout gently. Lisette turned, bumping her nose into Emma’s hand, causing the girl to retract her fingers quickly.

“Her nose is cold!” She giggled, making Kris laugh. Emma reached out again and giggled even louder as the puppy licked at the toddler’s hand. “She licking me!” Emma added.

“Yes, she likes to give kisses.” Kris nodded as Emma slowly became more comfortable petting the dog who loved the attention.

Sidney felt his bones melt into the chair as he put his feet up, Kris entertaining his daughter while Noah prompted Brianna with several questions about her baby.

“She can hear me?” Noah asked, pressing his mouth to her belly over her blue sundress, which was ideal for the weather, as Pittsburgh grew warmer and warmer the further summer progressed.

“Yes, you can say hello if you want.” Brianna giggled as he stared down at her belly with great interest.

“When she gonna be here?” Noah asked, climbing on the sofa and wedging himself between she and Kris who was talking animatedly with Emma.

“Very soon, in just about two weeks, that’s fourteen days.” Brianna explained. Noah blinked but continued to run his hands over her belly anyways.

“How she getting here?” He asked, tilting his head. Sidney snorted softly, covering his mouth with a laugh.

“Noah, are you hungry? How about we go make some sandwiches?” Max stepped in, getting out of his chair.

“Okay!” Noah chirped, hopping down from the couch and following Max into the kitchen.

“That was close.” Sidney laughed, rubbing his hands over his face as he leaned back, relaxing in the chair.

“You mean you’re not looking forward to having that talk with them?” Brianna teased while Emma and Kris giggled to themselves in the middle of their own little conversation.

“Don’t even joke about it.” Sidney insisted. “Is there any chance I can ask a favor of you guys?” He added, sitting up slightly.

“Sure, anything.” Brianna nodded.

“I have to go to an interview next Wednesday for some blog. Do you think you could baby sit for me?” He asked.

“Yes of course.” Brianna nodded.

“God knows we need all the practice we can get.” Kris spoke up as Emma placed her tiny hands on his face, feeling his smooth jaw and how it moved as he spoke. He lightly grabbed her wrist and pretended to chew on her fingers, his lips pulled over his teeth, causing her to giggle wildly.

“Sid, it’s only fair that you ask for help once and a while. Two kids on your own is a lot. It’s not unreasonable.” Brianna insisted as Kris began to full out tickle the little girl in his lap. “We’re here to help.” She added.

But Sidney could do this on his own. If Lana could do it, he could do it, too.
♠ ♠ ♠
i am so so so sorry that it's taken me so long to update!
if you've visited my main page, you know why!
i hope this cuteness makes up for it! i'm going to try and get back on my regular updating schedule!
i hope you all haven't lost interest in this story!
anybody else want to make some predictions? i sure do love hearing them :)
as usual, i'd love to hear what you thought of this chapter!
so much love
- kara