Running From Lions

006

I saw Jack waiting for the bus with Alex.

“Hey Rory!” he shouted and I waved as Alex rolled his eyes pushing him towards the bus.

Jack was really nice and really good looking.

“Rory!” I heard someone shout and I jumped as they pulled me from my thoughts.

I looked to see Jonah.

“Got any money?” he asked and I shook my head.

“Mom gave you some,” he snapped.

“For my lunch not you,” I replied without thinking and he grabbed my wrist digging his fingers into my skin.

“Give me the money,” he growled.

“Jonah your hurting me,” I whispered fighting back tears.

“Then give me the money” he snapped pulling me down the alley.

I felt a pain in my back as he slammed me against the cold wall.

“Jonah stop,” I begged as he put his hand in my pocket pulling out my money.

“Thanks Rory,” he smiled punching my arm and leaving.

I pulled my hoodie around me wiping my eyes and started to walk again.

I went straight to class and got lost in schoolwork, I liked school; no brother anymore, no fighting, I could forget it all.

Before I knew it the bell went for lunch, I walked past the cafeteria to see Jack on his own so I went to keep him company. He smiled as I sat opposite him, we were talking when Alex walked in glaring at me.

“He doesn’t like you does he?” Jack asked and I shook my head.

“Never has,” I added as Alex walked over.

He started talking pushing me from the conversation.

“Are you not having lunch?” asked Jack and I shook my head.

“Probably not fashionable,” mumbled Alex, Jack offered me some of his but I shook my head.

“Whoa where did you get that?” Jack asked pointing at the bruise on my wrist.

“Oh I caught it in the door,” I lied and he nodded as Alex started talking again and I examined the bruise under the table.