Running From Lions

009

The next day I was tidying my room after Jonah wrecked it last night looking for the money when mom shouted me, I walked down to see Alex at the door.

“Want to come to the park?” he asked and I nodded leaving.

“You don’t have to be nice,” I said.

“I do, I’ve been horrible to you for years because I thought you were something your not. I’m sorry can we start over?” he asked and I nodded as we sat down.

We sat talking.

“Alex I never told anyone,” I said and he nodded.

“I know, thanks and I won’t say anything about Jonah,” he smiled

“You and my parents are the only ones who know I’m bi, my dad hates it. Given the chance he’d swap me,” he said and I laughed.

“Mine would swap you for Jonah any day, an alcoholic drug addict or someone who’s bisexual, it’s an easy decision,” I said and he laughed.

“Is he that bad?” he asked.

“Yeah he’s always out, he drinks constantly, takes any drug he can get and well there’s not many girls he’s not slept with round here,” I admitted.

“Is he…you know aggressive?” he asked.

“Yeah he gets anger fits where he breaks everything and hurts everyone and anyone but you learn to stay out his way,” I admitted.

“You 2 were always together,” he said and I nodded.

“You know I used to think your brother was cute,” he admitted as I laughed.

“You have bad taste,” I joked.

“So Jack, do you think he’s cute?” he asked and I looked away.

“You do! He is pretty cute, I mean the skinny jeans plaid shirts thing,” he admitted as I stared at him.

“Don’t worry I don’t have a crush on him,” he said.

“Oh I didn’t …” I started but he cut me off.

“Not that it would matter,” he said as Jack walked in the park. I felt Alex move closer.

“He appears to only have eyes for you,” he whispered as Jack got level with us.

He spoke to Alex then sat next to me.

“Are you okay Rory?” he asked looking worried and I nodded.

“We’re having a party next weekend, you guys can stay after if you want,” he offered and we both accepted.

We went to walk home and Alex met his mom at the corner leaving us.

“Rory will you help me with my school work?” Jack asked and I nodded.

“I need to do mine though,” I admitted.

“Well I’ll come get yours and you can come round mine to do it,” he said and I nodded.