Status: Completed. Comments?

The Passenger's Seat

Epilogue

Sitting on a bench on the highest hill that looked down on the city, they were watching the proverbial sun rise from its glorious sleep.

“It’s so beautiful,” breathed Roxie.

“Yeah, it is,” said Garrett, looking down on his shoulder at a whole different view. He thought about the night he had and everything that happened, and smiled at the thought. He realized that he walked in the club looking for a wild night, but instead got something completely different. He got Roxie; a girl he did not understand, a girl he did not know the least bit about, a girl so fragile and damaged, a girl who came in his life unexpectedly… a girl he was sure he loved.

He couldn’t help but admire her as the sun’s golden rays touched her blond hair, making it shine equally bright.

“Can I ask you something, Roxie?” he said, stroking her hair.

“Yes?” she whispered.

“Who were you hiding from when you went in my car?”

“Oh,” she said, looking up at him. “Why’d you wanna know?”

“I just want to,” he said, landing a peck her forehead.

She braced herself, and then said, “From my father’s bodyguards. They’ve been looking for me all night. They always do. My dad’s threatening me… says that he’ll have me shipped off to Bible camp.” Roxie buried her face in her shoulders.

“What? Bible camp isn’t so bad!” he joked.

Roxie nudged her elbow into his ribcage forcefully. “Oh and sorry about walking in on you with that girl.” She laughed.

“Eh, it’s fine. I prefer you, anyway,” Garrett said.

The two sat in silence. But this time, it was the peaceful, comfortable kind of silence, with no tension between them whatsoever. Garrett could have sat there with her for hours and hours into the day.

The sun’s warmth enveloped him like a blanket, and at the same time dried off his clothes.
His eyes watched the city. The streets were no longer dead and empty. Cars were already moving around everywhere, with early birds inside, going wherever they needed to go. The rest of the people in the city were most probably waking up at the moment, stretching and getting reading for the day ahead… all of which were oblivious to Garrett’s whole, unbelievable, extraordinary night.

“Why did you bring me to that swimming pool, Garrett?” Roxie asked abruptly.

Garrett thought for a moment. “Because… I wanted you to stop crying.”

“Huh?” she asked, bewildered.

“I kind of had this weird idea… the minute we’d jump in the pool, underwater… you would stop crying. Or at least, I wouldn’t see you cry anymore. Because we were engulfed in water. It’s strange, I know… so forget I said it.” Garrett looked away, slightly ashamed at what he had just said. He knew he wasn’t good at dealing with girls, not at all. All he knew was how to get girls, but not actually keep them. He also knew Mark wouldn’t be of any help. Garrett sighed when Roxie remained silent.

“That’s the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me,” she said after a while.

“Really?” asked Garrett, in a surprised tone.

“Really,” she confirmed, beaming at him. “I’m really glad I hid in your car, Garrett.”

Garrett chuckled, unable to contain his happiness, while keeping his eyes only on her. “I’m glad, too.”