Maybe Memories

The Road of a Broken Heart

This morning I woke up early to the sounds of birds singing out my window. I looked at the form of the sleeping girl next to me and let out a deep sigh. I slowly got out of bed and tried to run my hands through my long black hair but it was too tangled. If Sherri had seen me in this state she’d force me down and brush my hair herself. I looked back at Tara; she was now my fiancée and not Sherri. What have I gotten myself into, I’m not the same Bert I was two years ago. Sometimes I wish I was still that crazy, fun loving Bert everyone knew, and Quinn was the first to notice this, he told me it was because of Tara she bossed me around and forced me to do things for her.

I knew she wasn’t the one but I need to get over Sherri. I picked up a hoodie and brushed my hair I left a note for Tara telling her I went out and started walking to the park. I heard footsteps and lifted my head up from staring at the ground to see Quinn coming over to the swings and he sat down beside me.

“I thought this is where you were heading.”

“I seem to be heading here a lot lately, have you heard from any drummers?” I asked him

It turns out Brandon wanted to go do something else and we’ve been looking for a drummer ever since. I lit up a smoke as Quinn looked at me and smiled.

“Sure did and I found the perfect guy, Jeph agrees with me.”

“Then I guess if you guys think he’s great then he’s in,” I responded, I then took a drag and looked at the sky; the sun had finally come through the clouds and was shining bright.

“If it makes you any happier I was talking to Sherri the other day.”

My face lit up at the mention of her name, and at that moment a million questions ran through my mind. But they faded away as I remembered that she was with him. I wish she had picked anyone but my ex-best friend Gerard. I wish she would have run back to me, but Quinn said she wouldn’t after what I had done to her.

“Bert, what's wrong?”

“She’s probably forgotten about me, she’s probably much happier with him.”

“She’s worse than what you think. She’s losing interest in Gerard and she knows Gerard is doing the same thing. And the only thing she has ever been interested in was getting back with you. She has never gotten over you, ever.”

I looked into his eyes and knew he wasn’t lying; I had to make things right before it was too late. I had to break up with Tara; I had to find Sherri.

“And another thing,” Quinn spoke again, “I was talking to Tara the other day and.”

“And what?” I asked.

“Turns out that thing only wants you for your money, she tried to make me promise but I lied and had to. You’ve been my best friend for a long time and I wasn’t ruining our friendship.”

I threw my cigarette on the ground, stamped it out in anger, got up and hugged Quinn.

“Dude I love you.”

He let out a laugh and kissed my cheek.

“I love you too.”

I ran back to the Quinn’s house to do what I meant to do two years ago.