Sequel: Before You Say I Do

And You're Just What I Need...

Day Seventy

Adam had made it a habit to sleep in my room now. Not that I minded at all, but Finn sure did seem to care. It was seven in the morning and I was laying in bed staring out my window. Everyone, including Adam, was still asleep, so I just stayed where I was, waiting for the rest to wake up. I look around my room and smile. Just seeing the paint made me happy and the fact that I now felt at home didn’t hurt either.

Adams phone made a vibrating sound on the table next to me and I pick it up to see who was calling so early. I thought it would have been his parents or something but it was actually a number I hadn’t seen, which meant it wasn’t in his address book. I press the little green phone cautiously, suddenly nervous as to whom it could be.

“hello?” I ask.

“ciao.il vostro bambino è fottuto la mia vita.prendere lui o che sta per l'orfanotrofio.” She started rambling on in Italian. Even though I had gone there, my Italian was a little off. As in, I’m pretty sure fottuto means f*ck up. But who would really say that to Adam?

“Io non parlo italiano” I tell her, attempting at the language once again.

“oh, sorry, sorry.” She says, her accent strong like Katelyns.

“it’s alright.”

“I must have the wrong number, once again, sorry.” She was about to hang up but I stop her.

“wait. Are you trying to get ahold of Adam __________?” I ask her.

“yes, is this the correct number?” she seemed confused now.

“it actually is, he’s sleeping at the moment though. Can I take a message?”

“oh, sure. Can you just tell him that Stephanie called and that it’s important.”

“sure.”

"You sound American.”

“that’s because I am.”

“wow, I can’t believe Adam of all people went for white trash.” I wasn’t quite sure if she knew what she was talking about but, I mean seriously, that’s just rude.

“excuse me?” I ask, slightly offended.

“it’s just, he was so into the woman around here. I didn’t think he would lower his standards to some American.”

“He grew up in the United States!”

“yeah, doesn’t mean he wasn’t raised by Italians.” She remarks.

“Whatever. I’ll tell Adam you called.” And then I clicked end and set the phone back onto my night stand.

Adam turned over and snaked an arm around my waist pulling me toward him. “morning” he mumbles half-awake.

“good morning.” I say, smiling.

“who was on the phone?” he asks, squinting his eyes open and looking up at me.

I hesitated. Should I tell him? “um, you’re not going to like the answer.”

He sits up, suddenly awake at my words, “what is it?”

“that was Stephanie on the phone.”

“Stephanie as in the Stephanie” I nod my head. “um, what did she want?”

“well, do you want the Italian version, or the English?” I ask and he raises his eyebrows at me.

“start with Italian.”

I nod, "You can’t make fun of my Italian. I’m going to butcher it. but I’ll give it a shot. So, I answered the phone and she said instantly, and I quote ‘ciao.il vostro bambino è fottuto la mia vita.prendere lui o che sta per l'orfanotrofio.’” Adam smiles. “what, was it really that bad?”

He reaches up without a word and gives me a quick kiss on the lips, “both your Italian and your memory are great.”

“it’s not that great since I don’t know what it means in English.”

“I’ll tell you later. What was the English?”

“oh, well then I told her in Italian that I didn’t speak Italian and she started speaking English and was going to hang up but then I asked if she was trying to get a hold of you, since, ya know, it was your phone. She said yes and I got down her name and then she made some comments and I hung up on her.” I explain to him.

“what were the comments?” he asks.

“I’m not going to say.” I tell him.

“Juliana, what did she say to you?” Adams voice was serious now and I gave in.

I hesitate for the second time during this conversation before telling him, “she called me white trash. Well, actually, she said she couldn’t believe you’d go for white trash. And then when I asked her if she really knew what that meant she said that, well basically, that she was surprised you would lower your standards to American and I hung up on her.”

“but I grew up in the U.S.”

“yeah, I told her that. I dunno.”

“and she would know what white trash means.” He informs me, “which your not by the way.”

“thanks.” I give him a small smile, “so what did she say?”

he hesitates like I did before, “do you really want to know?”

I nod, “I do, mainly because I know she said f*cked up. So…I want to know what she was talking about”

“fine. She obviously said hi and then said ‘your baby is f*ucking up my life’ and said that if I don’t take him he’ll go to an orphanage”

I pause, “oh.”

“yeah.” he replies.

“so… are you?”

“why not?”

“Adam, there are many reason why not. Katie is adorable but so many times in my the past four years have I thought that she screwed up my life. A kid is a definite handful.”

“I know, but he may or may not be my kid. And the orphanages in Italy aren’t too nice.” He counters.

“at least think about it. really, you have to think about all the paperwork it’ll take to get him from Italy to here and –“ he covers my mouth with his hand.

“hold that thought.” He says, “I just came up with the perfect idea.”

“do I have a choice.” I ask against his palm.

“no you don’t.” he answers and I gave him a shocked look. How could he understand what I just said? “my parents could take him in.” he continues, still holding his hand over my mouth. “then he’ll still be in Italy, so no paperwork and yeah.” he stops talking and just thinks. I wait a few minutes for him to take his hand off my hand but when he doesn’t I take things into my own hands. Well, okay, not really, but I did pull my mouth off of his hand which got his attention.

“hey!” he says, “I didn’t say you could do that.”

I smile, “I have to get to work.” I tell him and slip off the bed. I walk toward the bathroom and open the door before pausing, “hey, what’s your sons name?” I ask, turning back to face him.

“Tristan.”

“hmm, cute name.” I tell him before closing the door and turning on the shower. The only thought going through my head was this: I should tell him.