The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

012

I slipped my clutch under my arm as we sat on a bench under a tree. "I feel bad." I commented feeding him the last of the blooming onion that we picked up at one of the stands.

He shrugged swallowing the fried treat. "Why?"

"Because you're carrying all my groceries." I whined feeling useless.

"Suck it up." Brian shrugged again. "Besides, I have to gain my manliness back somehow. You paid for lunch and bought all the stuff here."

I laughed. "I guess that helps ease my guilt." Brian and I had been moseying through the farmers market for the last hour or so right before they packed up for the week. "So, what do you think of The Spanish Village by the sea?" I asked, calling San Clemente by its logo.

"It's quiet here." He looked around the small park. "Less dense, even for its downtown area."

"I like it that way though." I tossed the wax paper in the trash. I looked over at the bench and watched, as he looked my way, his sunglasses masking any emotions as he put the bag to the side and walked over to me. I tried not to fidget nervously as he walked closer. "What?"

He spun me around and placed his hands on my hips. "How come I've never noticed this?" He peeled back the bottom of my shirt to the tattoo 'Love Conquers All' across my lower back.

"You've had plenty of time to see it." I rolled my eyes and grabbed the bag.

Brian quickly snatched it out of my hands. "Hey, I had you on your back the whole night." He smirked smugly.

I smacked his arm. "Ass." I frowned to myself not wanting to only be remembered for that night in Vegas. Or be the 'Vegas girl that he nailed'.

"You love it." He teased, whispering in my ear. "You know you do."

I turned around and glared. "Keep dreaming, sunshine." I looked at my watch and saw how late it was. I began to feel guilty for keeping him here the whole day. "Ready to go back, sunshine?"

He rolled his eyes at the nickname; having a feeling he was going to hear it a lot more often. "Sure, if you are."

We made the short trip back to my house in a comfortable silence with music playing in the background. I chuckled at the cars that lined in my driveway; word traveled fast that I was back.

"Expecting more company?" An eyebrow arched over the lens of his sunglasses.

"No, but it doesn't stop dumb asses from coming over. I should get an electric wired fence. Maybe that would help." I said seriously.

Brian began to laugh. "Let me know if it does; I could use one."

I grinned, pulling up in front of the garage. I turned the car off and unbuckled my seatbelt, grabbing the bag before. I smiled softly to myself as he followed me to the door. I leaned next to the front door against the stucco siding.

"Thank you for lunch." He leaned over me, resting his forearm above my head.

"You're quite welcome." I smiled and bit my lip as he tilted my head upwards. He smirked and leaned down capturing my lips in a heated kiss. I wrapped my arm around his neck, holding the bag loosely in the other, as he intensified it. He tongue slipped past my lips, wrestling with my own for dominance. I jumped startled when Bear barked and pawed the screen door.

"Bear! Shut up!" I heard Tyler yell, walking closer to the door. "Oh? I'll take those for you." He grabbed the bags out of my arms, ignoring the awkward atmosphere he created. "We needed groceries anyway; you're running low."

"Low! Danny just bought some yesterday." I sighed. "Whatever, we're starting the money jar again then."

Tyler nodded and looked over at Brian briefly. "Right, continue like I never came out."

Brian chuckled after the door was shut. "Don't you just love interruptions?" He smirked sarcastically and leaned down again.

"No, maybe it was good timing." I pushed him back gently, looking down. "I don't want infatuation anymore; I can't do another Hollywood relationship." I frowned before leaning forward and kissing his nose. "Call me when you've thought it over. I know I'm asking a lot." I smiled softly and slipped behind the door, closing it before he could rebut.

Brian let out an annoyed groan as he stayed leaning against the wall for a moment longer. That was not at all how he envisioned the date ending. He rubbed his face and pulled out his keys, happy that he would have a long ride alone to think some things over.

Once on the highway he began to multi-task, grabbing the pack of cigarettes and tapping it against the armrest before pulling one out. He stuck it in between his lips and lit it as he rolled down the window. He didn't know if he could give commitment even if he wanted it. Besides to travel forty-five minutes just to see each other wasn't exactly the best start into a relationship. He sucked the cigarette down to its filter before getting another one out and lighting it.

Brian sighed to himself, pulling into the familiar driveway rolling the window up before shutting the car off. He debated strolling in, but thought better of it and rang the doorbell.

"Well that's a first," Zacky mused opening the door, holding Ichabod back with his foot. "What's up?" He stood to the side so Brian could enter.

Brian followed him to the kitchen slipping his sunglasses off. "I don't know which way is up right now."

Zack chuckled, "That's right you had a date with Lucy today. How'd did that go?" He dug through the fridge getting a couple of beers, seeing how his friend looked like he could use one at the moment.

"It started out great. I loved talking with her over lunch; that part was never awkward." He chuckled to himself. "It was weird though."

Zacky handed him the beer and leaned against the island. "Why?"

"A kid asked her for her autograph and not mine." He smiled, taking the cap off using the counter.

"You're lucky she's out, Gena would rip you a new one if she saw you." He laughed and Brian gave a sheepish grin. "But, why would someone want her autograph? No offense."

Brian waved it off. "No, I asked her the same thing. She said something about volunteering with the kids over the summer. It makes sense, but then it doesn't. Like, there's more to it."

"Like, you can't trust her?" Zack looked at him oddly, sipping the beer.

"No," Brian corrected him quickly. "More like I hit a sore spot for her so I left alone."

"That couldn't have been the worst part of your date that made you come to Dr. Zacky." He said cockily.

Brian sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "She didn't bother giving me a chance to ask her out again, claiming that she doesn't want 'another Hollywood relationship,'" he quoted. "Whatever the fuck that means. I shouldn't have slept with her."

"Maybe you shouldn't have met up with her afterwards. Less of a mess to deal with." He stopped laughing when he caught sight of the dirty look that was being sent his way. "You're really considering her, seriously." Zacky said softly, not wanting to spike any more nerves.

"No, I'm fucking sitting here asking for your opinion for shits and giggles." He glared, though his features softened when another thought popped into his mind. "And, the distance?"

"So what? It could be worse. She's only a couple of cities down; that's nothing too extreme. Call her up and go for coffee or something simple." Zack shrugged. "Obviously, she wants to start of semi slowly. Just don't pressure her and get to know her. Then, invite her over. It's your turn to have the cook out; use it to your advantage."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!!!
<33333
Comments?