Sequel: Panda Boy
Status: It may be over, but I still want to hear you guys' comments!

Operation Beautiful

apparently, i've said the wrong thing. as usual.

I drop Emmaleigh off at home. Her parents invite me inside, but I politely decline. I really should get home before Jessica does.

“Oh, Emmaleigh!” I call as I leave. “As far as Jessica is concerned...”

“She wanted Matt to take me?” Emmaleigh asks. I nod. She shifts awkwardly on her feet. “I’m sorry. She really...she really just needs to back off.”

“She does,” I agree. “But it’s okay. I had a lot of fun.”

“Thanks. Me too. I’ll talk to Jessica, though.”

Not if she talks to me first...

I open the front door to hear a bunch of yelling.

“I thought we had a deal!”

“You played dirty, I played dirty!”

“I did not play--!”

Matt scoffs. “”You didn’t? Please! You said all I had to do was tell Corey, not actually do anything!” There’s a strangled choke and a squeal.

“Get off! And that doesn’t mean you have to go behind my back and--!”

“Hello?” I call into the house. Matt and Jessica do argue sometimes, but I’ve never heard them get this loud. Their parents are nowhere to be seen. Must be upstairs avoiding the conflict.

“Corey!” Matt yells gleefully, his arm around Jessica’s head in a headlock. She’s trying to push his arms away but looks up at me and smiles anyway. “How was your date?” Matt continues. Jessica’s face falls.

“It wasn’t a date,” I say sullenly. “I invited Haley along so I was pretty much a third wheel.” This is reasonably true. Sure, we talked a lot and had some food, but it was mainly me watching a couple girls shop. Not much of a blast. Besides, all the better if Jessica doesn’t know I had fun.

“Haley? Why’d you invite Haley along?” Her voice is scornful.

Great. Apparently, I’ve said the wrong thing. As usual. Why don’t I just duct tape my mouth around girls?

“Never mind,” I growl. “Just pretend I didn’t say anything.”

“I’m not trying to be mean,” Jessica says, backtracking quickly. “I’m just saying. Is it a good idea to be hanging around your ex-girlfriend so much? People will get ideas.” A feeling of annoyance starts gnawing at me. There’s some truth in what she’s saying, but I like hanging out with Haley. What is she, anyway, my girlfriend?

“Who I hang out with is none of your business, Jessica.” Ignoring the hurt look on her face, I had upstairs.

“What were you guys arguing about?” I ask when Matt comes to join me.

“Just...stuff.” He shuts off the light and gets into bed.

But the words keep rolling around in my head. There was a deal. Jessica played dirty by forcing Matt to do something he shouldn’t have had to do. So then Matt played dirty by going behind her back and...having me take Emmaleigh to the mall, I suppose. I never saw either of them as devious, revenge seeking people...it’s kinda weird to think about. But still, it’s not like it had gotten out of hand.

And with that comforting thought, I go to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shorter than usual, but I have a bunch of stuff to tell you guys. Please at least read through the headings to find the stuff that applies to you.

Remember to submit your oneshots for the contest!
Discussion Questions
What the heck are Jessica and Matt arguing about? What devious tricks are they playing?

An apology to all my readers who haven't read the prequel
I totally forgot that I should keep this story as separate from it's prequel as possible.So here's what's going on: Haley's best friend died four years ago. The prequel deals with Haley's slow acceptance of her loss (with the extensive help of Trevor). As you can see, she's still on the road to recovery.

Comment Awards
We've hit the 200 comment mark, so let's begin, yes? For my newbies, let me explain. You guys are, by far, the most amazing commenters I have every seen! Look around. Not a lot of stories get as much comment action as this one. I love you guys so much, you don't even know. So with my last story I started the Comment Awards to show you guys my undying appreciation. This time, winners will either get a banner for one of their stories (of their choice) or an uber-special avatar made for them just by me Let me know which you'd like. Now, on with the awards!

First Commenter and Subscriber:Artemis 33
-you finally got an award, yes? You deserve it, you ♥

Story Vetran: Alexander Gaskarth
-From the very beginning of "It Started with a Bet" to now, Alex is still with me. (Well, I hope so. She's been kinda quiet on the comments lately, lol.)
-Since there can only be one winner, Artemis 33, you get Honorable Mention. You're an uber vetran, lol. You've been around since...geez. Since my early quizilla days.

The awards will continue until the end of the story, so keep commenting! Maybe you'll get an award too :) I tend to do awards for my favorite reactions, answers to discussion questions and stuff, too.

And I apologize for making this author's note so long! TT.TT