‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

Best thing

“Ah shit,” I mumbled and sat up. I probably looked like crap, and now I probably looked like a surprised piece of crap. If there was ever such thing.

He sat up too. “I know, it’s so sudden, and so soon, but Haze, let’s face it. I can’t live without you. You can’t live without me. So, what’s the problem with it? It’s not like we have to get married right now. I’m just making known to you that I’ve thought about having a future with you,” he said to me, running his fingers through his hair repeatedly.

“I don’t know Ryan,” I mumbled.

“You’re probably thinking that I’m kidding, since I don’t have a ring. I didn’t set up a nice romantic dinner, I didn’t spend fortunes and didn’t brainstorm with everyone of how I’m gonna do this, hell, I surprised myself by even popping the question all of the sudden, but Hazelyn, I’m dead serious,” he said to me, holding my hands in his.

“We just got back together last night,” I mumbled.

“If you think we’re rushing things, I don’t think so. Because We’ve technically been together for three years, and we’re not even growing tired of each other one bit, at least I hope not,” he mumbled the last part, making me smile slightly. “But I do really need you Hazelyn. I need you because I love you, so don’t think that I love you because I need you,” he told me with sincerity evident in his voice. “You’re the freaking best thing that’s ever happened in my life, and as you said, if you’ve gotten a taste of the best, you never want to go back and nothing can compare,” he said.

“Ry..,” I bit my lip. Am I going to give into this?

“You don’t have to answer right now. No rush, seriously. But please think about it, because I don’t know what I would do without you, and I can’t keep-,” he started blabbing.

“Ryan!” I said loudly to get his attention.

“What?”

“You really did get my bad habit of blabbing when nervous,” I smirked.

“Sorry,” he mumbled as he played with my fingers . “It’s just that-,” he started again.

“Yeah, I will,” I said to him. He immediately stopped and his eyes snapped to me.

“What do you mean you will?” he asked carefully.

“You know what I’m talking about,” I smiled at him. His face looked like it was about to rip, because his smile was so wide. He immediately attacked my lips with kisses and whispering about how I wouldn’t ever regret my decision, and how much he loves me. Basically, he was being the King of Whipped Cheese as he put it.

“Ryan,” I mumbled, since he got out of bed after of two hours of cuddling.

“Come on! We gotta go get you a ring,” he whined.

“But, we can get that later,” I mumbled.

“No! Because I want to put that mark on you. That you’re taken!” he pouted.

“Isn’t that supposed to be a wedding ring?” I chuckled.

“We can go get that too,” he winked. I rolled my eyes at him and turned on my stomach to go back to sleep. He jumped on the bed, and landed on my butt.

“Come on, future wifey. We gotta go get your engagement ring,” he whined. “It has to be like, the biggest rock in the universe,” he said.

“You’re such a chick,” I mumbled against my pillow. “Get off me, fattie,” I mumbled. He huffed, and got off me.

“I have to tell the whole world too, come on! We gotta tell your brothers, then my siblings, then the guys, then the girls, then-.”

“Shut up! I’ll get up, just shut up,” I whined and got up, going to my vanity, and looked at my appearance. I didn’t look bad, safe to say.

He hugged me from behind, and rested his chin on my left shoulder. “You’ll be mine soon,” he smiled at me.

I turned around and put my arms around his neck. “I’ve always been, and will always be yours,” I smiled as I kissed him on the lips softly.

“Let’s go get your engagement ring,” he grinned at me, and pushed me into the bathroom, closing the door behind me.

“You’re such a girl!” I shouted out to him as I turned on the shower.

~/~/~/~/~


“Ryan! That’s bigger than my freaking finger!” I exaggerated as he inspected one of the rings. We were in Tifffany & Co. and he was going all out.

“Whoa,” the woman that helped us out said. “Every woman that comes in here always says that the bigger the rock the better,” she frowned.

I chuckled. “Well, I just don’t want it to be so flashy,” I explained.

She raised an eyebrow. “It’s for you?” she asked.

“Yup, for her,” Ryan said wrapping an arm around me. The woman looked confused. “I just proposed this morning, out of the blue. I didn’t even know, so I didn’t have a ring ready,” he explained.

“That’s sweet. That’s a first I’ve heard. Usually, the guy gets the ring before the proposal, and fusses on and on about it. It gets annoying,” she grimaced.

Ryan and I chuckled. “So, do you have one with a smaller rock?” I asked her.

She looked down on the selections, and she smiled up at us. “I have the perfect ring for you,” she said. “I’ll be back.”

“I’m one of a kind,” Ryan smiled at me.

“Please,” I scoffed.

“Please what?” he challenged.

“Please,” I scoffed again. “Please give me a kiss,” I grinned. He rolled his eyes and gave me a peck on the lips and then my cheek. We waited for the lady to come back.

She came after a couple minutes with a box and a huge smile on her face. She opened up the box, and there was the prettiest ring I have ever seen in my life. “This is our one of a kind rings. There’s only 5 made. It’s a 2.9 carat, platinum band ring. The same ring has been given to a couple celebrities and Kate Middleton. (let’s just say it wasn’t that £32 million ring) This is the last one left,” she finished.

“We’ll take it,” Ryan said without hesitation.

“The price, though,” the woman started.

“It doesn’t matter,” Ryan said as he looked at me. “I’d give her the world if I could. A ring is nothing,” he smiled.

“Ryan,” I frowned.

“Shuttup and let me do this,” he grinned. “What size is that?” he asked her.

“A 6,” she said looking at it.

“Perfect,” he said as he took it from her hands, and slid it onto my finger. It fit perfectly. “Do you like it?” he asked.

“Like, it? Are you kidding me? I’m in love with it,” I said, not taking my eyes off the ring.

“Should I be worried?” he asked me.

I looked up at him and grinned. “Maybe,” I said sticking my tongue out at him.

He looked at the lady and smiled at her. “We’ll take it,” he grinned.

“Should I engrave something in it?” she asked.

“Yes please,” Ryan said, and wrote something down the piece of paper, handing it to the lady along with the ring.

“What did you put on it?” I asked him.

“You shall see,” he chuckled. It wasn’t long until the lady came back, and handed us the box. Ryan paid for it, but he asked me to step out so I wouldn’t see the price. Despite my protests, he dragged me outside and told the guard to keep an eye on me.

I stood there chatting with the guard when Ryan finally came out with a small bag in his hands, and a dashing smile on his face. He quickly thanked the guard, and dragged me to the car. He put the bag on the hood, taking the small box out and smiled at me. He got on his knees, making me roll my eyes and him chuckling. Some people stopped and watched the scene in front of them.

“Hazelyn Mae Macintosh DeLuca, you’re the best thing that has ever happened to me and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?” he asked.

I rolled my eyes and threw my head back, softly laughing. “Of course, Ryan Jerome Forbes Dolciani,” I grinned as he slid the ring onto my finger with a smile. He stood up and hugged me, which was followed by a sweet kiss. Then lights flashed. Camera flashes.

Fuck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ring